Search for content in message boards

Radzevicius - Babru/Babrai to Kaunas

Radzevicius - Babru/Babrai to Kaunas

Posted: 11 Dec 2011 8:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Dec 2011 8:43PM GMT
Surnames: Radzevicius, Urbanavircuite, Daugelis
Looking for Radzevicius family members in Lithuania, originally from the Babru/Babrai homestead (near Lazdijai, Alytus) and later Kaunas.

Martynas & Ona (Urbanavirciute)
kids w/o info:
* Mare/Maria
* Antanas (m. Anele?) - kids Jule, Anele, Albertas, Petras, Antanas
* Agota m. Daugelis

Re: Radzevicius - Babru/Babrai to Kaunas

Posted: 12 Dec 2011 12:00AM GMT
This surname, spelled Radzevic^ius and pronounced rah-DZA-vi-chus, is relatively common (almost 200 listings in the online phone book for Lithuania just for the masculine ending "-ius", i.e., not counting women listed with the the ending "-iene" or "-ute"), so the odds of finding relatives without some information narrowing the search are not good.

The two villages named Babrai in the Lazdijai district each have a population under 100 (in 2001), so they are quite small settlements. The mobility of the population increased significantly under industrialization after WWI and later under Soviet rule (often forced). When you see the ending "-u" on a Lithuanian noun it means it is used in the possessive case, i.e., meaning "of or belonging to", as in the phrase "village of Babrai" = "Babru kaimas." It is customary in English to refer to such place and personal names with the nominative ending "-ai".

The ending of the surname is Urbanavic^us is spelled without any "r" in it. It is a common Lithuanian ending "-vic^ius" to many surnames.

John Peters

Re: Radzevicius - Babru/Babrai to Kaunas

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 5:47PM GMT
I am grandson of Jule,she still live in babrai vilige
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions