Search for content in message boards

Galinis from Kaniukai near Alytus

Galinis from Kaniukai near Alytus

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 6:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jan 2012 4:14PM GMT
Surnames: Galinis, Galinnis, Urbanavich, Račkauskas, Pauza, Antanavicius, Packianczius, Packevicz
I am trying to determine the name of my Lithuanian ancestral village. My gg-grandparents were named Vincent Galinis and Martha Urbanavich (I am not sure if this is the correct spelling). They lived in a village near Alytaus. All but one of their children went to Branford Connecticut around 1904. Only two ship manifests listed a village name, but I’m not sure if I have read them correctly. I have included an image showing these village names as they appear on the manifests with a rudimentary family tree.

One village name looks like Kaniūkai and the other name might be Koniuchy? I found online that Koniuchy is the Polish name for Kaniūkai. However, it seems there are several villages with the name Kaniūkai. Are they all also called Koniuchy?

I would love to hear some opinions from others here that know the area – Do you think my guess is correct? The daughter that remained in Lithuania, Rosalia, married Ignas Račkauskas, and had several children (I don’t know their names – I only have photographs). Our family lost touch with them over the years and I hope to find them. Other family names are Pauza and Antanavicius.

The first Galinis in my family to arrive in America was headed to Branford CT to his uncle M Packianczius (I'm not sure if this is spelled correctly) The name later became Packevicz.

I hope that someone will recognize some of this information. I would like to find my ancestral village and take my mom to visit her grandmother's birthplace. Thank you!
Shellie
Attachments:

Re: Galinis from Kaniukai near Alytus

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 3:35PM GMT
It appears that you are correct about the village name, though without being able to view the original records directly so that we can use our own photo editing programs to enlarge, sharpen and otherwise modify the images, it difficult to be sure. Perhaps if you gave enough information so that we could examine the records ourselves, we could be more helpful.

There are 3 villages named Kaniukai near Alytus. The way that Poles or Russians spell the name would be the same no matter which village is referenced, just as the way any name would be spelled by any ethnic group -- assuming a reasonable degree of linguistic standardization. Lithuanian was only standardized after WWI and ethnic Lithuanians often used Polish spellings, especially prior to WWI when Polish was such a dominant influence there. Spellings found on manifests or other documents often vary significantly from one to another whatever the native language of the writer was.

You can see all 3 villages on this map:
http://www.maps.lt/en

There are 39 listings for the surname Rac^kauskas in the Alytus area online phone book for Lithuania

John Peters

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 6:13PM GMT
Thank you John,
I assume that the partial image that I attached to my original message was not acceptable?

One can be found at Ancestry.com and the other at Ellis Island.
See passenger #3:
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=nypl&h=403...

Passenger #22 at:
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=18913...

Posted: 23 Jan 2012 3:26AM GMT
It isn't that the images are unacceptable, but rather that I prefer to manipulate them in my photo editing program and I need to be able to see how the writer forms letters from other entries than the one in question.

The manifest for Josef on ancestry.com is indexed as follows:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Josef Galeman
Arrival Date: 31 Mar 1902
Birth Year: abt 1884
Ethnicity/Race-/Nationality: Russian
Port of Departure: Rotterdam
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Rotterdam

I mention this because the image on ancestry.com can be enlarged much more than that on Ellis Island.

I will try to decipher the writing on both manifests and see if I agree with your interpretation.

John Peters

Posted: 23 Jan 2012 4:09AM GMT
I do think that you have it right, the name is most likely spelled Kaniuky or Kaninky on Josef's manifest, the clearer of the two. Most of the stem or root of the name corresponds with the name, Kani(ukai) and "n" and "u" are probably the most commonly mis-transcribed letters in hand-written records like these manifests. The ending "-y" is indeed Polish, which is usually rendered in Lithuanian as "-ai."

The RC churches near the various villages with this name would be in: Pavas^iunai, Alove, or Alytus itself (which had 4 churches.

But I don't think it will matter which one is the correct one if you write an email to the Historical Archives of Lithuania which now houses most available sacramental records from pre-WWI -- if they exist at all. Two of the villages were in the former Russian province or gubernia of Vilnius because they are east of the Nemunas River. The other one was in the Suwalki province, being west of that River. Records from the latter province may be more difficult to track down because of the division of that province between Lithuania and Poland. In any case, the Archives will tell you if they have records for your family since you have their names, their approximate years of birth and the location (even if it only narrows the search down to 3 possible parishes -- I think they'll look in all books from any Kaniukai). Here is the web site for the Archives in English:
http://www.archyvai.lt/en/accessandservice.html

John Peters

Posted: 20 Feb 2012 8:40PM GMT
As the Lithuanian language did not become standardized in the country until after WW I, most documents will be based on the Polish & Russian languages for a variety of historical reasons. Many of our ancestors who came over 90-100+ years ago gave the names of larger cities nearby, since those would be more likely to be recognized to non-Lithuanians. Spellings also varied during the time they came over as well.So if multiple manifests contain approximations of Kaniukai, then it is a resonable bet that that may be the village you seek. It may be helpful to look for manifest listings for your g-grandparents siblings, who may have given a village name closer to that you suspect. Naturalization papers for your great grandparents can be a gold mine of information, often including village of origin. I was fortunate that my maternal grandparents named the villages they came from (including Kainukai), but my paternal grandparents took more searching to establish where they were from. Hope this is helpful. - Jim Z.

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 2:59AM GMT
Hi Jim,
Yes, your information was very encouraging!

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 3:52PM GMT
Shellie,

Any chance that one of the photographs was taken in a studio that might list its name and location?

Also, if any of your ancestors were married in a Lithuanian parish (I assume they were Catholic) in the U.S., you should try and get a copy of the church marriage register entry for them. It's likely written in Latin but would probably contain the place of baptism for the bride and groom as well as their parents names (with more authentic Lithuanian spellings). You need the copy and not an extract.

When I got the copy of my grandparents marriage entry, the church pastor apoligized for not being able to read it (poor cursive penmanship in Latin). I was more motivated than he was plus I knew what some of the words were already so I was able to translate it successfully.

Tom S.

Posted: 5 May 2012 8:12PM GMT
Moja rodzina pochodzi z tej wsi.Koniuchy,kaniukai jest poprawna.jest kilka miejscowosci o tej nazwie.Ale miejscowosc o ktorej piszesz jest w Alytus parafia Daugi.Jesli cos wiecej chcesz wiezec sluze pomoca.gosia140770@wp.pl

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 2:36AM GMT
Malgorzata,
Thank you - I used Google Translator to read your message. I would like to learn more about Kaniukai. Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions