Search for content in message boards

surname waitukaitis (vaitukaitis)

surname waitukaitis (vaitukaitis)

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 11:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: waitukaitis
Looking for information on our obviously misspelled surname we believe the spelling should be vaitukaitis. Any information on these names and commonality would be helpful.

Re: surname waitukaitis (vaitukaitis)

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 11:52AM GMT
The use of the initial letter "w" does not constitute a mis-spelling but rather the common use of the Polish "w" rather than the Lithuanian "v" prior to WWI. You are correct in that the Lithuanian alphabet does not contain the letter "w", but this is only since the language was standardized after WWI.

Vaitukaitis is not a particularly common surname in Lithuania, since there are only 17 listings in the online phone book for Lithuania for this surname, including those with the ending "-iene" for married women and "-tye" for unmarried women. A few of the listings are in the south-western part of Lithuania, the old Suwalki province or gubernia of the Russian Empire, but there are a couple also from the northwest part of Lithuania.

John Peters

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 7:13PM GMT
Hi Miranda,
I've read your message by chance and I think I could help you if you provide more info.

Posted: 28 Jan 2014 7:52PM GMT
Hi Miranda!

Doing some research for a friend on this name. I think it might be your hubby lol. Please e-mail me at lilvixy@hotmail.com, and I can pass what I have so far. This is Tony's wife lol

Thanks
Tami
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions