Search for content in message boards

Sterling Cassidy

Sterling Cassidy

Michael Rakes (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cassidy, Davenport
Just curious if anyone knew or had heard of my great grandparents Sterling and Omer Cassidy. I believe that the area I used visit them was Gold City in Simpson County outside Franklin. (But isn't everything?) Cassidy Rd may have been named after him.

Their daughter, my maternal grandmother, Lena still lives in Franklin.

Stories, rumors. links or just a hello are welcome.

Thanks,
Mike
mrakes@home.com

Sterling Cassetty

Posted: 17 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 2:09PM GMT
Surnames: Lambert, Cassetty, Hinton
Mike, we need to talk. My great-grandaunt, Amanda Lambert, married Nicholas Cassetty. I have Sterling as one of seven children.

I also have that Sterling married Oma Davenport and I show two girls, Lena May and Lucille. I don't have all my info with me, but I think I also have their spouse and at least on child for each.

This comes from a document that was in my grandmother's possession and was written over 40 years ago. My grandfather still lives in Simpson County near Mt. Vernon Church which isn't far from Gold City. I know he knows the family as I had asked him some questions on Sterling and his siblings.

Talk to you soon.

Mark

Re: Sterling Cassetty

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 2:43AM GMT
Surnames: Sloan, Cassetty
mike, i am trying to trace my Cassetty family tree. My name is Brenda (Sloan) Lehman. My grandmother was Gracie Cassetty Sloan, b4-7-1896/d6-19-1954, she had 6 sisters & three brothers, Lula b.10-15-1880, Juda b.11-30-1882 (twin), Manda L. b.11-30-1882 (twin), Ethel b.3-26-1885, Lee b. 12-28-1888, Mary b. 1-13-1890, Henry b. 2-28-1892, Grider b. 5-14-1894, Emma May b. 3-30-1898, Zeula b. 8-22-1904. Gracie is buried at Mt. Vernon Baptist Church Cemetery, not far from Gold City. Grannys parents are George & Mary (Donoho) Cassetty. Thank You Brenda

Re: Sterling Cassetty

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 2:43AM GMT
Surnames: Sloan, Cassetty
mike, i am trying to trace my Cassetty family tree. My name is Brenda (Sloan) Lehman. My grandmother was Gracie Cassetty Sloan, b4-7-1896/d6-19-1954, she had 6 sisters & three brothers, Lula b.10-15-1880, Juda b.11-30-1882 (twin), Manda L. b.11-30-1882 (twin), Ethel b.3-26-1885, Lee b. 12-28-1888, Mary b. 1-13-1890, Henry b. 2-28-1892, Grider b. 5-14-1894, Emma May b. 3-30-1898, Zeula b. 8-22-1904. Gracie is buried at Mt. Vernon Baptist Church Cemetery, not far from Gold City. Grannys parents are George & Mary (Donoho) Cassetty. Thank You Brenda

Re: George & Mary Cassetty

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: Cassetty, Donoho, Boston
You may already have these records:

George B. Cassetty was b in TN on 19 June 1858, married 18 Dec 1879 in Jackson Co TN, and died 9 Dec 1916 in Simpson Co KY. He married Mary E. Donoho/Donohue, b 12 Sept 1858 in Macon Co TN, died 14 June 1922. Both are buried in Woodburn Graveyard in Warren Co KY. There is a House and Bryan Funeral Home record (Book 6, page 6) of her burial, but I could find no Kentucky Death Certificate reference for her, even though she is in the 1920 Warren Co KY census household of her son Grider. (There are so many different spellings of the name, I could have missed one.)

George and Mary are in Jackson Co TN in 1880 but are in Simpson Co KY in the 1900 and 1910 census.

George's death certificate names his parents as Lee Cassetty and Judie Boston. (Her name is also listed as Juda, Judy, Judith.)

George is in the 1860 Jackson Co TN census household of Leonidas Cassetty, age 38; Juda, 26; Sarah, 11; Sampson, 9; Nancy, 6; Georg, 2; Susan Hunter, 50; & Robert Casity, 22.

Children born later to Leonidas "Lee" & Juda were Malinda J., ca 1861; Martha Hamilton, ca 1863 who m. Alvin Harrison Halcomb; Thomas, b ca 1866; and Leonidas, b ca 1869. All born in TN.

In a book in our archives on Jackson County, Tennessee Families, pp 85-86, is an article on The Cassetty Family. It relates that Thomas Cassetty was born 9 Sept 1762 in Augusta Co VA; married 25 Feb 1796 in Franklin Co VA to Sarah Thomas; they were in Jackson Co TN by 1806; one of their children was Nicholas who married Susan Jenkins; they had two sons, Sampson Alexander Cassetty and Leonidas Cassetty. No sources were given. It cited "oral history". This Leonidas Cassetty may or may not be George B.'s father. You can research further on that.

Mary E. Donoho, age 2, is in the 1860 Smith Co TN census, Dixon Springs, household of John W. Donoho, age 24, and wife Amanda, also age 24. Other children are Julia, age 6, Nancy E. and James W., both age 1.

There is another 1860 Smith Co TN census household with a female named Mary, age 2: James Donoho, age 20 and Dorthala, a female, age 17. (That spelling for her may not be correct) As the cemetery headstone of "your" Mary gives her name as Mary E., that encouraged me to assume that the Mary E., daughter of John W., was "yours" rather than the "just Mary", daughter of James.

In the 1870 Macon Co TN census, Amanda is the head of household which indicates, perhaps, that John W. has died since the 1860 census and since the 1862 birth of his son John B. Others in the household are Julia, 16; Mary E., 11, Nancy E., 9, and John B., 8. (It would appear that the twin James W. had died) All of these were born in TN. (I found no surname for Amanda)

There is an A. J. Boston et al to __ deed in Smith Co TN, by Christian Boston's heirs, but the date is 2-22-1834, and Juda, wife of Lee Cassetty, wasn't born until about 1834. There is an A. J. Boston in the 1840 Smith Co TN census who has a female of Juda's age in his houshold. (Of course there are no names other than head of household in 1840.) There is an 18347 deed to one Andrew Boston in Smith Co. He may or may not be A. J.....

I hope you have found this interesting. There is a Cassitty family file in our archives but it has to do with the Sterling Cassetty branch. I will, of course, add this research to that family file.

Dorothy, Simpson County KY archives volunteer

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 8:26PM GMT
Surnames: Cassetty
IF the Nicholas Cassetty "turns out" to be the father of your Leonidas Cassetty, you will find that the Thomas Cassetty, mentioned in The Cassetty Family article, was a Rev. War pensioner. His Pension number is S3143, and he served in Virginia. His Rev. War pension affidavit, made in Smith Co TN on 28 Aug 1832, states that he was born in Augusta Co VA; was the son of Thomas Cassetty who, during the Revolution was living in Bototourt Co VA but too old to be in the service. He (the pensioner) resided in Botetourt Co VA when he enlisted in October 1779. He lived in Franklin Co VA after the Revolution, then moved to TN in 1804 and lived in Jackson and Smith counties.

Dorothy

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: cassetty/sloan/donoho
Dorothy, thank you for your help. The information you sent was very helpful. And yes my ggrandmothers name was Mary Eliabeth Donoho, I got this from my grandmothers funeral book, Gracie Cassetty Sloan, b.4-7-1896/ d.6-19-1954. grannie is buried at Mt.Vernon Baptist Church, Not far from Gold City. Simpson, co. Ky. Thank You again Brenda

Posted: 9 Mar 2007 3:40AM GMT
Children born later to Leonidas "Lee" & Juda were Malinda J., ca 1861; Martha Hamilton, ca 1863 who m. Alvin Harrison Halcomb; Thomas, b ca 1866; and Leonidas, b ca 1869.
Dorothy...the above Leonidas Cassety was born Oct 15, 1868 and died Aug 14, 1933 in Westmoreland, Sumner Co. He and his wife Nancy Elizabeth Chapman are born buried at Hillsdale Cemetery there in Simpson Co. I have a copy of his death certificate which says he is the son of Lee and Judy Boston.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions