Search for content in message boards

Ship 'Theodore'

Ship 'Theodore'

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 4:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kennedy
Hi

Looking for a passenger list for the ship Theodore which arrived Victoria on the 8th December 1852.

Interested in the Kennedys who were on board and orginated from Kilmonivaig in Scotland.

Regards

JudyHarvey81

Re: Ship 'Theodore'

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 6:45PM GMT
There were a LOT of Kennedys on the Theodore, arriving 8 Dec 1852 at Melbourne.. The problem is that Ancestry only gives each individual Kennedy with their age. You don't get to know how they were related or even if they were related at all. If we could see the actual original ships passenger list, it would be easier to figure out. If they were together on the same page instead of on separate pages they could all be related.

Archibald Kennedy 44
Mary 43
John 41
Mary 37
Janet 25
John 23
Alexander 21
Ann 21
Christina 19
Dugald 17
Sarah 15
John 13
Malcolm 11
Paul 9
Alexander 8
Duncan 5

I suppose one way to try to figure it out would be to look up the census for Scotland for 1851.

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 9:37PM GMT
Hi BrianMartin

Thank you for your reply. I will do another Census search in Scotland but now have a local historical group on Scotland looking for me.

I will look again at what I have and hwere they live in Victoria and see if anyone has them in their tree.

Again, thanks

JudyHarvey81

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 6:25AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2013 6:27AM GMT
Judy,
I think about eight of the Kennedys on the list I gave you were living at Kilmallie. You say the Kennedys were from Kilmonivaig - right?

Well, from what I have found, Kilmonivaig was near to Spean Bridge, Inverness-shire... And Kilmallie was a parish, centered around the village of Caol, which is very close to Spean Bridge.

Kilmonivaig and Kilmallie don't show on my large map of Scotland, but if you google: "Kilmallie, Scotland" then the first item on the list is helpful.

I think that Archibald Kennedy aged 44 and John Kennedy aged 41 were possibly brothers and this might just be two families.

Hope you can figure it out, and hope you find what you are looking for,
Brian.

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 10:38PM GMT
Hi Brian

If what you think is correct about Archibald and John being brothers then I think I am on the wrong track. Christina Kennedy was my GG Grandmother and on her marriage cert (in Melbourne) her father is Alexander. There is also a Christina Kennedy on the Gengis Khan so will recheck that. I also have contacted one of the historical societies in Argyll and they are doing a search for me.

It is very confusing when so many have the same names!

Thanks for your reply.

Judy

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 1:21PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Hi judy , I am also looking for any information on Theodore passangers. I have a Christina kennedy from kilmonivaig Lochaber invernessshire but she married john McDonald in 1850 and had a daughter Margery and sailed out of Liverpool and arrived on 8th of December 1852. I can't find any real information.

I feel that there are so many similaraties that it is hard to keep the thread going
any information would be greatly appreciated.
thankyou.
wendy Stanford nee little. previously from geelong.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions