Search for content in message boards

index pages

index pages

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 1:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
I just arbitrated an image set in which two pages of indexed names (well over 200) were keyed instead of listing the form type as "cover page.." I know how much work that must have been and how much time was spent on it (and unfortunately unnecessary with the correct form type.) The WIKI page really helps discern which pages to key and which to mark as cover page.

Re: index pages

Posted: 5 Sep 2013 3:26AM GMT
I've keyed many sets from the Army directory, and read the instructions several times, but had not read this discussion board yet. Imagine my chagrin after finding out that the very last image set I entered this evening is an index and should not have been keyed! I wish the project instruction pages had this more clearly stated :(

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 2:53AM GMT
I've just gotten back into keying, after a hiatus, and am glad I ran across this! I've never dealt with another project where names on an image are ignored, rather than keyed! I, too, would have keyed those 200+ names, as the idea of labeling an image "cover page" that actually has names on it to key is foreign to me, even bizarre!
"Use the “Cover page, Section header, etc” type for images that don’t contain any data, but might be interesting to look at because they provide some type of context for the image set. For instance, historical notes, affidavits, and so forth." Index pages do, indeed, have data, that data being names. How strange that this project goes against the general cardinal rule to never miss keying keyable information!

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 7:30AM GMT
I believe that at least part of the reason for this is so that researchers using pay-as-you-go credits don't waste a credit looking at an index entry and then have to use another one to view the actual entry that they were looking for. But also it can be annoying when you have a sub, if you are looking for a common name and end up having to look through twice as many entries to find the right one.

If the names in the index aren't searchable, you can still find the index entries easily because they will be in alphabetical order, at least of initial letter of surname.

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 2:44AM GMT
The WIKI pages are not clear enough on this. Need more sample images of cover pages. The only time I'm sure an image should be a cover page is if the page is titled "Index." When I'm not sure, I send a screen shot to the message board and ask. Hopefully, some day I'll get the hang of it. Until then I just pass on the image set.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions