Search for content in message boards

BRYANT - WALLACE - TAYLOR - NEWCOME

Re: BRYANT - WALLACE - TAYLOR - NEWCOME

Debbie Kaelin (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

This is what I have on the Briant/Bryant family.

FIRST GENERATION

Thomas Briant had a brother William Briant who died in Warrick Co., Indiana.

Thomas Briant was born in 1771 in Virginia. He migrated in 1804 to Kentucky. He died in 1840 in Ohio Co., KY. He was married to ???? Burras. They had the following children:

Samuel Briant
Sarah Briant
Asa Briant
Horation T. Bryant
William Bryant
Eli Briant
John T. Briant

SECOND GENERATION

Samuel Briant was born in 1797 in Virginia. He died between 1846 and 1889. he was married to Annie Bennett on 25 Jan 1827 in Ohio Co., KY. Annie's first name is Ann in the Ohio Co., KY marriage list.

Sarah Briant was born in 1798 in Virginia. She was also known as Sally. She was married to Samuel Newcome on 4 Feb 1825 in Ohio Co., KY.

Asa Briant was born in 1799 in Virginia. He died in 1856 in Ohio Co., KY. He was married to Elenor Bennett on 9 Nov 1830 in Ohio Co., KY. Elenor Bennett was born before 1800. They had the following children:

William J. Bryant
Sally A. Bryant was born in 1838.
Patsy Bryant was born in 1842.
Rebecca Bryant was born in 1846
Mary Elisa Bryant

Horatio T. Bryant was bon on 1 May 1802 in Virginia. He died on 20 Sep 1867 in Gibson Co., IN. He migrated in 1930 to Gibson Co., IN. He was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He was a farmer. Horatio was married to Nancy Wallace on 22 Aug 1829 in Ohio Co., KY. Nancy Wallace was born in 1804 in Kentucky. She died in Feb 1868. Horation and Nancy had the following children:

John T. Bryant
Eli D. Bryant
David L. Bryant
Violet Jane Bryant
Francis E. Bryant was born on 17 jun 1836 in Ohio Co., KY. She died on 10 Aug 1858.
Abner McDonald Bryant
Cordelia Bryant
Henry W. Bryant
Clinton Bryant
Mary E. Bryant was born on 6 Jul 1847. She died on 16 Aug 1857.
Preston A. Bryant
Marion Bryant was born in 1852 in Gibson Co., IN

William Bryant was born in 1807. He died between 1843 and 1898. He was married to Lucretia Bennett on 18 Dec 1832 in Ohio Co., KY.

Eli Briant was born in 1813 in Ohio Co., KY. he died between 1844 and 1904. He was married to Susan A. ????
between 1833 and 1863.

John T. Briant was born about 1818 in Ohio Co., KY. He died between 1870 and 1910. He was married to Emily ????.

THIRD GENERATION

William J. Bryant was born in 1835 in Kentucky. He was married to Nancy J. Petty on 20 Mar 1857. Nancy J. Petty was born before 1840 in Kentucky. They had the following children:

Frances E. Bryant was born in 1858.
Garton Bryant was born in 1865.

Mary Elisa Bryant was born in 1849. She died on 23 Oct 1931 in Elkhart, IN. She was married to Joshua Wellington King on 22 Jan 1873 in Gibson Co., IN.

John T. Bryant was born in 1829 in Ohio Co., KY. He was married to Jane Teel Harriet on 20 Jan 1853.

Eli D. Bryant was born in 1830 in Ohio Co., KY. He was a farmer in 1850 in Columbia Township, Gibson Co., IN. He died on 2 Dec 1897 in Reno Co., KS. Here is a quite from Hutchinson News Harold from 12/2/1897 - "Eli D. Bryant died last night in this city, Hutchinson, Kansas. He had just returned from the Old Soldiers Home. He told the doctor who attended him that he came home to die. His age was near 80 years. G.A.R. General Army of Republic will have charge of Comrade Bryant's funeral which will be December 3, 1897, at 1 o'clock in the afternoon." He was buried in a Civil War Cemetery in Indiana. "Elid D. Bryant-B. 1829 - D.1897 - Private Co., H 143 Regiment, Indiana Infantry." He was a Presbyterian. Eli married Rebecca Revis on 15 Mar 1849 in Gibson Co., IN. Rebecca was born in 1832 in Indiana. They had the following children:

Baby 1 Bryant was born in Indiana. She died in Indiana.
Baby 2 Bryant was born in Indiana. She died in Indiana.
Cornelius Preston Bryant was born in Indiana.
Sylvester Marion Bryant
Andrew Jackson Bryant
Marjorie Anna Bryant

David L. Bryant was born on 18 Oct 1831 in Ohio Co., KY. He died on 8 Jun 1863. He was married to L.B. Kimball. His second wife was Anna Eliza Montgomery whom he married on 30 Aug 1853 in Gibson Co., IN.

Violet Jane Bryant was born in 1834 in Ohio Co., KY. She died in 1890. She was married to Alexander H. Cockrum on 16 Nov 1852 in Gibson Co., IN.

Abner McDonald Bryant was born on 1 Mar 1838 in Ohio Co., KY. He died on 4 Jun 1896. He was married to Susan Caroline Davis on 30 Mar 1865 in Gibson Co., IN.

Cordelia Bryant was born in 1841 in Ohio Co., KY. She was married to Solomon Reavis on 17 Nov 1869 in Gibson Co., IN.

Henry W. Bryant was born on 2 Jun 1842 in Ohio Co., KY. He died on 17 Sep 1900. He was married to Sarah E. Wallace on 26 May 1870 in Indiana.

Clinton Bryant was born in 1845 in Ohio Co., KY

Preston A. Bryant was born on 4 Aug 1850 in Gibson Co., IN. He died on 16 Dec 1910. Per "History of Gibson County, Indiana" - "Preston A. Bryant, one of the representative and prominent agriculturists of Gibson County, has been identified with its interests throughout life, his birth occurring in Patoka township, August 4, 1850. His father, Horatio Bryant, was born in the Old Dominion, in 1799, but when quite young accompanied his parents to kentucky, where later he married Nancy Wallace, native of that state, both newar Owensboro, in 1804. Twelve children blessed their union - John, deceased; Eli; Jane, David, Francis, and Abner N., all deceased; Henry; Cordelia, deceased; Clinton; Mary, deceased; Preston A., and Marion. In 1830 the father came to Gibson County, where he carried on farming until life's labors were ended, October 21, 1866, owning at that time one hundred and twenty acres of good land. His wife was called to the world beyond in February, 1868. They held membership in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, in which he was an elder for some twenty years. Mr. Bryant, of this review, remained at home until his father's death, when he started out in life for himself, working as a farm hand for the first year. he then attended school for a time, preparing himself for a teacher, which profession he successfully followed for twelve years, during the period, however, becoming more proficient by continuing his studies at the State Normal School. Subsequently, he read law, but never engaged in its practice. He began agricultural pursuits upon a rented farm which he operated for about six years, and then purchased forty acres, which he still owns. Besides general farming he is also interested in stock-raising and has met with success in his undertakings. On the 1st of April, 1875, was consummated the marriage of Mr. Bryant and Miss Nellie, daughter of John L. Wallace, by whom he had three children--LaSalle, John and Grace. The wife and mother was called to her final rest March 15,1893, and Mr. Bryant has since wedded Mary West. They are active members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which he has been elder two years and superintendant of the Sunday school six years. Politically, Mr. Bryant has always been a faithful adherent of Republican Representatives from Gibson County, first in the fall of 1890 and again two years later. He proved a most populat and able member of that honorable body, capably serving on several important committees, and his course there gave the utmost satisfaction to his constituents."

Preston married Nellie Wallace (daughter of John L. Wallace) on 1 Apr 1875 in Gibson Co., IN. Nellie Wallace died on 15 Mar 1893. They had the following children.

LaSalle Bryant was born in Gibson Co., IN.
John Bryant
Grace Bryant

Preston married Mary West in Dec 1894 in Gibson Co., IN.

FOURTH GENERATION

Sylvester Marion Bryant was born on 27 Nov 1872 in Gibson Co., IN. He died on 11 Jul 1960 in Hill City, KS. He was married to Sarah Bently on 12 Sep 1904.

Andrew Jackson Bryant was born on 28 Jun 1874 in Gibson Co., IN. He died on 27 Oct 1955 in Sublette, KS. He was also known as Eli. He was married to Sarah Gertrude Spung on 8 Dec 1897 in Reno Co., KS.

Marjorie Anna Bryant was born on 18 Oct 1879 in Gibson Co., IN. She died on 14 Aug 1945 in Pawnee Co., KS.. She was also known as Maggie. She was married to Wiley Bluford Trotter on 25 Dec 1899 in Reno Co., KS.

BRYANT - WALLACE - TAYLOR - NEWCOME

Posted: 2 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Aug 2001 2:44AM GMT

I am looking for ancestors and descendants of Thomas Briant, who died in Ohio Co., KY about 1840. I would also like to know if there is a cemetery in Ohio co., KY with his remains. His children were Samuel, Sally Newcome, Asa, Horatio T., Eli, and William. I have found most of Horatio's descendants and am looking for more plus descendants of his siblings.

Horatio T. Bryant married Nancy Wallace, daughter of John Wallace and Frances Jane Taylor. These folks all moved to Gibson Co., IN. I am also looking for additional information on Wallace and Taylor descendants.

I have put together a table listing KY and IN census index records for Bryant, Bryan, Briant, Brian families for 1790-1850. Some individuals had their names spelled all four ways over those years, even though they never moved, so this list can help follow them back.

I will be glad to share my research with anyone that is interested.

Thomas N. Malone Sr. (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT

I have information regarding the Bryant, Briant family. I am related to you though Altha Jane Bryant, the daughter of William "Uncle Billy" Bryant of Oakland City, Indiana. She married my g-g-g-grandfather, Brice J. Hicks of Hartford, KY. William and Lucretia (Bennett) Bryant had John in 1834...Mizzela in 1837...Altha Jane in 1838...James B. in 1840. I have info on the linage of Lucretia Bennett going back to 1725 in several diferent directions. Write me at my e-mail address for more info.

John Frank Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT

I was just curious as to what information you had on the Taylor line of Ohio county. Would be very interested in exchanging info with you.

Debbie Kaelin (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT

Are your Taylor's the same as the Taylor's from Butler County who migrated with the Daugherty's? If so, I have quite a bit of information.

Thomas N. Malone Sr. (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT

I'm sorry, I don't have any info on the Taylor's.

John Frank Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT

I'm not sure yet but I'm checking. I will e-mail as soon as I know more.

David L. Prince Sr. (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT

I am researching the TAYLOR name. My grandmother Flossie Mae Taylor. I do have some more information if you need it. If anyone has info on the Taylors in and around Newark, Ohio, please feel free to contact me. I am willing to share what I have.

reguards
David Prince

Glen R. Bryant (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT

Susan Wallace (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 1998 12:00PM GMT

While searching for an elusive WALLACE relative I found this information that may interest you. I was researching land grants on line and came across William Wallace, Ohio County. "On 28 March 1788 William Wallace was granted 250 acres in the Mungo Bottom on the east side of the Ohio river adjoining Alexander Wells." Not my ancestor, but he may be yours! This information was found by searching "Land Grants" using a general search utility and centering on Virginia (since at this time Kentucky was a county of Virginia).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic