Search for content in message boards

Directions to Hickory Grove Cemetery

Hickory Grove Cemetery

Mike Graves (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Graves
Just to let you know Hickory Grove is actually a section of the whole cemetery ( My gr-grandfather is buried there ) . It is a huge cemetery and very well maintained . According to the caretakers there are thousands of people buried there . Hickory Grove is the oldest section and is near the water tower . If I remember correctly you can turn on 15th or 16th Street off the main Hwy. The caretakers are very nice and have a list of all plots if you need directions to a particular gravesite . Mike Graves

Hickory Grove Cemetery

Brenda (View posts)
If you get off Interstate 59 onto 16th Ave. North, go through 3 redlights and take a right on 12th St. Go up about 3 or 4 blocks and you right at it. Turn left and then you go through first gate on the left.

Directions to Hickory Grove Cemetery

Annemarie Hyde (View posts)
I am planning a research trip to Mississippi. Can anyone give me directions to the Hickory Grove Cemetery in Laurel.
Thanks for all your help.

hickory grove cem in jones co

Posted: 5 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2002 4:50AM GMT
Surnames: MCKEE, EZELL, WINDHAM, JONES, GILDER, WILLIAMS, ELLIOTT, HORNE, BAKER
Wanting to know if anyone who lives in Laurel,or near enuff,would allow me to send them a disposable camera & postage-paid return envelope & would use it to take pics of Hickory Grove entrance,grounds,& as many McKee graves as possible?? I have a list of names with sections the graves are in..I do this for cem here in NJ but so far only asked to photo 2 or 3 headstones not shoot a roll of film. I am a volunteer for www.headstonehunter.com but see that this group has no jones co.,ms volunteer,so figured
i'd try my luck on a few boards..some kind soul may be surfing & decide to say yes! here's my e-mail,in case: doroab@webtv.net Thanks all for reading this!!!

Hickory Grove Cemetery

Brenda Poole (View posts)
Hi again Mike,
My 21 year old son, Bobby Poole, was killed in an automobile accident 2 years ago here in Ellisville, MS. and since then I can't seem to find anything anymore. My daughters got this computer for me after that to keep me from going bonkers and it has worked, a little, hehe.
I haven't completed putting all my information that I have on my computer yet so that lil tidbit is here, just don't know where.
I did look through some of this mess in here and couldn't find what I told you about. But when I looked in my Hickory Grove Cemetery Book and I found this:
Hickory Grove Cemetery was established when Mr. Joseph S. Bush died Aug. 31, 1878. He requested to be buried behind the church in a grove of Hickory Trees. (born Aug. 8, 1847 - died Aug 31, 1878). This was on his footstone: First Grave in Hickory Grove Cemetery. I must have said it wrong earlier and apoligize for that mistake. There is so many sections in each one part of Hickory Grove, Crestview, Oak Hill, & Lake Park. There is also Old Cotton Mill Cem. (aka as Oak Hill and Boys Town), Potter's Field (which is the poor people or unknowns graves They have numbers not names) and on & on.
But I did want to ask you about your Graves name. You see, we're also kin to the Graves from Ella Jane Pool Graves, daughter of Dr. D. R. Pool, that married Green Marion Graves. Are you descended from them? Some of their children were John, Charles Edward, etc.
Would love to exchange information with you if you are.
Thanks,
Brenda Poole

Hickory Grove Cemetery

Mike,
I'll have to look it up, I can't remember where I wrote it down, but the cemetery began when a little girl, ? Bush, was buried about 1840, I think, behind the old church. There is this writing on her headstone in the Church Section of Hickory Grove. I have to go to church now but I promise I try and find where I put wrote that down. I've also seen a picture in the Newspaper of The Old Hickory Grove Baptist Church.

Hickory Grove Cemetery

Mike Graves (View posts)
Surnames: Graves
Several people have asked how this got to be such a large Cemetery ? It is not very old and for a city the size of Laurel Mississippi. Mike Graves

Hickory Grove Cemetery

You are right Mike. There is Hickory Grove which is the oldest part. There was a Hickory Grove Baptist Church there and this is how the cemetery got started. Then you have Crestview, Oak Hill & Lake Park.
To get to the Hickory Grove Section turn off of 12th St.
The gentelmen who work there will show you where each part is.

hickory grove

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hello Dot,
I don't know if it has a address. You could probably write the city of Laurel for more information.
Brenda

hickory grove

Posted: 14 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2002 4:50AM GMT
Surnames: WILLIAMS, HORNE, GILDER, MCKEE, EZELL, ELLIOTT, JONES, WINDHAM

need address or e-mail addy for Hickory Grove..Anyone can supply that I'll be so happy!!!
Thanks! I have CW muster for Wm.Riley McKee & d.c. of Mary Etta Williams McKee if anyone wants copies who are kin send snail addy to doroab@webtv.net
Mary buried Hickory Grove but stone has only McKee on it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions