Search for content in message boards

family of Jose A. Vialpando AKA Edward Mestaz

family of Jose A. Vialpando AKA Edward Mestaz

Posted: 18 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Aug 2003 12:26AM GMT
Surnames: vialpando, villalpando, Mestaz, Mestas, Maestas, Duran, Padilla
My grandfathers parents were Edward Mestaz (Jose Vialpando) and Clementina Cordero. Edward was born in Northern New Mexico on 10/13/1878 according to his SSDI index. My grandmother Sally claimed Edward was born in Ensenada, New Mexico. My Aunt Sandra claimed he was born in Chama, New Mexico and had also heard that he was from a town in that area starting with a "B" (Brazos?). My Aunt Grace claimed that he was from Tierra Amarilla in Northern New Mexico. My grandfather Joe claimed that he recalled going to Park View, New Mexico to visit his Uncle Tomas Vialpando. In fact Tomas Vialpando did die in Park View, New Mexico in 1963. At this time I cannot say for sure exactly where Edward was born but I can confirm that Park View, Ensenada, Brazos, and Tierra Amarilla are all within close vicinity of eachother. All are located in Northern New Mexico, in Rio Arriba County. Also, family members have claimed that Edward came from Chama, New Mexico. Chama is located just north of the other towns I mentioned. In my opinion all the villages listed are valid/relevant. Edward's father was from Spain (or at least the family was) while his mother was from? Edwards original family name was Vialpando (Villalpando) but Edward ran to Douglas, Arizona from New Mexico as a result of an incident back in New Mexico. Apparently he thought he had killed a man in an altercation and he left New Mexico (he was 15 or 16 at the time?). There he took his fathers mothers maiden name Mestaz, hence I'm a Mestaz today!? The name my also have come from Edward's mothers side of the family. The spelling Mestaz most likely evolved from Maestas or Mestas. At the very least, Mestaz is a family name even if the account of the acquisition is not accurate. Edward had two younger brothers Tomas (Tom) and Ramundo (Ramond, Roman); he also had a few sisters Fransisca, Victoria, Doratia, Manuella, and another brother Salamon. I have located a couple sources showing: 1) Tomas Vialpando from Ensenada, New Mexico Born in 1890 to Juan Vialpando and Jesusa Duran. 2) Dorotea Vialpando of Ensenada, New Mexico (Bapt 1897 in San Juan, New Mexico) daughter of Juan Vialpando and Jesusita Duran, married Tomas Esquibel of Park View, New Mexico (1920). Armando, a cousin of Edward, while in the Service went to Panama to work on the Panama Canal. My grandfather Joe claimed that his fathers father was from Colorado, but as we know parts of Southern Colorado was New Mexico back in the day. I suspect he was from Northern New Mexico or Southern Colorado (maybe the San Luis Valley?). Grandpa Joe said the family migrated south from Colorado to New Mexico? Edwards father, Juan Vialpando, was a cowboy from Colorado? They family did work as sheep herders/ranchers in Northern New Mexico. Joe (my grandfather, Edwards son) stated that his grandmother's last name was Duran. Joe's sister Adella confirmed that their grandmother was Jesusita Duran. Joe's grandfather was allegedly killed by a horse in New Mexico. Edward worked for the US Post Office in Douglas, AZ. Edward died in Los Angeles in 1947. If anybody has any information or leads please contact me.

Vialpando's in NM

Posted: 5 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2002 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Vialpando
I have some information from the 1900's NM census that you might be interested in. I am looking formore informtion on Antonio J. Vialpando.

Re: family of Jose A. Vialpando AKA Edward Mestaz

Jacqueline Vialpando (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 7:06AM GMT
My grandfather's name is Maclovio Vialpando and according to my father's birth certificate he was born in Ojo Caliente. Maclovio Vialpando would have been born somewhere around 1896. I will ask my father. My father's name is Joe Raymond Vialpando. It so funny when I read your story about why your last name has changed. I felt like someone was retelling me the stories I heard as a child. My relatives always spoke about a family member that became entangled in the law and went down south to Mexico. I just recently visited that region of the country --I felt a draw to it. Please contact ASAP. I would love to share the stories.

Posted: 4 May 2007 12:50AM GMT

Posted: 23 Jul 2007 9:43PM GMT

Posted: 15 Dec 2010 8:43AM GMT
HI MY NAME IS TERI MATEAS ROMERO MY MOTHER WAS ERLINDA HERRERA OF LUMBERON, NEW MEXICO, HER MOTHER WAS CLOTIDA VIALPANDO, AND SHE HAD A BROTHR NAME MECLOVIO VIALPANDO,THEY WERE 12 BORN TO DEIGO AND FELIPA RIVERA VIALPAND,I HAVE INFO ON MOST OF THE FAMILY, YOU CAN REACH ME AT tiateri50@yahoo.com or at Teri M Romero 148 Roosevelt St Helper, Utah 84526 We might just be Primo
per page

Find a board about a specific topic