Search for content in message boards

Pittsylvania Co. relatives

Pittsylvania Co. relatives

Posted: 23 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Sep 2002 6:36PM GMT
Surnames: Chism
I am looking for Chisms from Pittsylvania Co. I know that my great-great grandfather was George W. Chism. Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Pittsylvania Co. relatives

Alan Whitney Thrailkill (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2001 2:22AM GMT
Surnames: Chism, McPherson
I have a 3ggrandfather George Washington Chism b. 25 Jan 1798 in Kentucky; m. Eleanor McPherson 23 Oct 1821; d. 23 Jan 1863, possibly in S. Texas. Eleanor was b. 18 Jul 1798 in Union Co., SC; d. 16 May 1856. If you learn more on their ancestors, please reply. Thanks.

Posted: 31 Aug 2001 3:55PM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2002 6:36PM GMT
Surnames: Chism, Fackler
Hi Alan,
My George Chism was born 1835 in Pittsylvania Co. Virginia and married Mary Ferguson and Permelia Yates. His father was John W. Chism who married Letitia R. Fackler, Nov.16,1830. I haven't been able to find John's parents or siblings. Maybe your George and my John are some how connected? Let me know what you think. Susan

Alan Whitney Thrailkill, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2001 1:02AM GMT
I don't have enough other information at this time to even make a wild guess. Good luck.

Posted: 17 Jan 2002 8:31AM GMT
Hi Susan!

Do you have information regarding a Henry Coleman Chisom*,
who married Catherine Arnold in 1849 in Pittsylvania Co., VA?

I can't seem to find him in the 1850 VA Census, but he was
in Pittsylvania Co., VA in 1860.
He later moved to Franklin Co., VA, where he shows up by 1870.

He once owned and operated a grist mill along the Roanoke River.
Henry and Catherine had a large family, and many of
their descendants live in the Roanoke Valley area of VA.

If you find a connection, I'll be happy to exchange information.

Thanks and good luck with your research!

Tammy Fisher

* This surname has various spellings.

J. Chisom (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2002 8:27PM GMT
Surnames: Chisom
Hi there,
I have a family tree prepared by a fairly distant cousin that lists a Henry Coleman Chisom, b. 1824, as my great-great-great grandfather. The tree mentions that he served in the Civil War, although he seems a bit old for that. The tree says he was in the 24th Virginia Infantry, Co. K, although I haven't found him on any rosters. I have found evidence of an H.C. Chisom that served with the 52nd Virginia Infantry, but have not been able to confirm that it's him.
Although I've found traces of other Chisoms in the same area prior to Henry, I have not been able to link them. If you've found anything, please let me know! Thanks.

Posted: 14 Jul 2006 5:48PM GMT
Surnames: CHISM
Have George Washington Chism in my line, have not yet placed his birth &/ or Father. Could your G. W. Chism be related> Where is Pittsylvania Co.?

Richard Anderson (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2006 6:16PM GMT
Hello,

I have no connection to the CHISHOLM family, but I can tell you [since I live in Danville, which is an "independent city" within the borders of Pittsylvania County] that Pittsylvania County is the largest county in Virginia and is located on the VA-NC border, due north of Greensboro, North Carolina.

If you find Greensboro on a map and follow the path of Route 29 north into Virginia, you'll find Danville and thus Pittsylvania County.

Hope this helps!

Richard

Posted: 14 Jul 2006 6:47PM GMT
Surnames: Chism, Hamner, Hagler, Waldrop, House
Thank you, Richard. I sorta thought so, but with no results from all the groups I belong to, finding MY Chism has gotten to be a wild ride. Ancestry is insisting Praytor goes in there somewhere, which would connect to Blind John, but I cannot Find the connection. I Know it goes back to a William from Ireland, & David, Ire., to CT. From Ire to here is ???. What fun this puzzle ! I also know much family was scattered TN., VA., NC., KY., AND back to Tuscaloosa.HMmmmmm.Gotta get that book " The Chiz" & see if it helps, when I can afford it. TY again.
Sheila

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 3:24AM GMT
Hello! Not sure if you still read and post here, after 12 years, but Henry Coleman Chisom is my greatx5 grandfather! We are trying to find out who his parents were.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic