Search for content in message boards

Crandall / Crandell family Anne Arundel Cty, MD

Crandall / Crandell family Anne Arundel Cty, MD

Jen (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 2004 5:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crandell, Smith, Dawson, Beazley
There is a small family cemetery on my property in Anne Arundel County. Interred are various members of the Crandell family from that area. I suspect there are more gravesites than headstones - perhaps some once had wooden markers. At any rate, there are 5 I can identify.

Mary Crandell: 1823-1884

Mary's granddaughter, Ila Dawson Crandell, 09/26/1890 - 01/16/1892, daughter of Lewis A and Bettie (Dawson) Crandell.

James A. P. Smith 02/06/1840 - 12/17/1867
"Death so stern, so cruel hearted, robs us of the ones we love. But we grieve not for one departed. Better joys await above."

Francis Crandell 11/05/1815 - 11/09/1867

Martha V., wife of Ellis S. Beazley, 10/13/1873 - 02/20/1910

These folks are not of my family, however, curiosity made me do a little research. This is what I've found:

1910 census:
Ellis S. Beazley (49), widower, born VA, parents born VA.
Daughter Sarah J (16) born MD, both parents born MD
Neice Fola Phipps (12) born MD, both parents born MD
obviously, the record for either Ellis or his daughter Sarah is incorrect. Ellis could not have been born both in VA and MD.

1870 Census Anne Arundel County 8th District
Mary Crandell (52) head of household
Son John (13)
Son Louis (9)

1880 Census Anne Arundel County 8th District
Mary Crandell (62) head of household
Son John W. (23) Saddle and harness maker
Son Louis A. (19)
next door was another Crandell family ..
William (50) head of household House Carpenter
wife Mary (43)
daughter Anne (17)
son James F. (13)
son Thomas F. (11)
son William G. (9)
daughter Mary L. (4)

District 31
William Dawson (50)
wife Margaret (42)
son Richard (19)
son Franklin (16)
daughter Lida (15)
daughter Bettie (13)
son John O. (11)
daughter Maggie M. (7)
son Samuel (5)
daughter Grace D. (2)

Francis Crandell may have been Mary's husband, although that is not a known fact at this time. There is no indication how James Smith fits into this family at all. There is a Frank Crandell in the census records, however the wife's name is listed as Jane. Youngest son, John, is listed as age 6... he should have been 3 if it is the same family. I can find no Mary of the correct age anywhere except as a widow in the 1870 and 1880 census.

I also have some handwritten land records for this property... these were a result of a deed and title search done in the 1950s. Much of it is in shorthand of some kind, but it provides the names of property owners and a little bit of lineage. There is also mention of a will.

Feel free to contact me if you are interested.

Re: Crandall / Crandell family Anne Arundel Cty, MD

thomas wills (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2005 8:58PM GMT
Edited: 3 Apr 2005 5:03AM GMT
Surnames: Crandell, Crandall, Wills
I recently recieved will of my g-g-g-g-grandfather Benjamin Wills from Anne Arundel Maryland. His wife Sarah and relations William Crandell and Rachel Crandell are witnesses. Do you have any of these people ?

Jen (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2005 9:15PM GMT
No, I'm sorry. I only have what I posted. I am not related so have done no further research.

Good luck. Jen

Posted: 7 Oct 2008 8:19PM GMT
deo you have any other info on the family? he is also my gggg grandfather. His son joseph had a son francis who had a son francis t wills who was the father of elmer wills and his son was my father frank wills. i took a long time to find francis, so anything you have wouls help
thanks, cathy

Posted: 8 Oct 2008 1:26AM GMT
I'm sorry, Cathy, I don't. I've sold the property and it has been sold since to someone else. However, there is no danger it will ever be built on. There may be Crandall family info associated with ownership of the property around the dates that were on the stones. You might find more at the Maryland state Archives. Good Luck. Jen

Posted: 17 Apr 2010 7:02PM GMT
Surnames: Crandall
I am the granddaughter of Louis A. and Bettie(Dawson) Crandall.Francis and Mary(Smith) Crandall are my ggrandparents.Would greatly appreciate any information you have.

Posted: 17 Apr 2010 10:55PM GMT
Hi.

I no longer own that land - it was sold in 2006. I did put a clause in the deed that the cemetery could never be moved, destroyed or disturbed in any way. My understanding is that the bank owns it now; the buyer a victim of the RE turn down and economy. If you live locally, I feel pretty confident you could go there without risking discovery or legal issues. You might even file something with Anne Arundel County to get it declared a cemetery so the law will protect it. Heck, I'd even petition to get access rights.
I have photos I can send you of the headstones and I am willing at some point to make copies of the land records. Some of it is understandable and perhaps someone can get the shorthand deciphered. Send me an email address if you want the photos and/or records.

Posted: 18 Apr 2010 5:29PM GMT
Looking forward to photos and any information.

bettyboop@olg.com

Betty Crandall Gilroy

Posted: 28 Jun 2010 11:25AM GMT
Surnames: Crandall
I am an ancestor of Thomas Batson Crandall from Anne Arundel, MD..I would love to see the photos of cemetary..my email is ginger523@ymail.com

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 11:35PM GMT
could you give location this is part of my famley stil live in south co
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions