Search for content in message boards

Haney's Haneytown in Greene County, Virginia

Haney's Haneytown in Greene County, Virginia

Posted: 16 Aug 2000 2:24PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2002 10:31AM GMT
I am trying to find any info concerning HANEYTOWN, VIRGINIA. It seems no one in Greene County knows anything about this town which, at one time, was a part of Greene County. I have already tried their local library and the County Court House. I would appreciate any infor on this town.

Haneytown Va.

Lynda Haney Smith (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2000 3:06PM GMT
Juanita, I found a John H. Haney buried in Haneytown, Virginia Nov.13,1840. Birth 1740. I came across it by accident when I was looking for John Lafayette, b.2-13-1848. d.12-5-1928. m.to Nancy Alice Ford on11---23-1871. Nancy b.3-14-1855. d. 2-3-1900 Bristol, WV. There must be more Haney's buried there. Maybe you could spot check by date since there is one burial there. Good luck, if I run across anything I'll keep you posted. Lynda P.S. If you find anything on John L. or Nancy let me know. Thanks, Lynda

Haneytown

Juanita (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2000 6:48PM GMT
Hi, It's Lynda again. More info: John H. Haney Jr. b. abt. 1790 Orange Co. Va. d. 12-15-1882 Haneytown, Greene, Va. m. Elizabeth Watson. Maybe when West Virginia became a state Haneytown was annexed into another town. Look at the surrounding counties of Greene and see if you get any luck. Still searching for my Haney's. Lynda

Haneytown, Va.

Posted: 21 Aug 2000 6:57AM GMT
Lynda, thanks for the info. I still do not understand why no one in Virginia can tell me where Haneytown was or is located in Greene County. I have a Nancy in my file who was the sister to my great grandfather who was Jurd H. Haney, born 1851 Cherokee Tribe, Dade Cty, Ga. He married Mary, born Cherokee Tribe, same year in S.C. His father was James, born about 1830, who married Grace, a Native American. My grandfather, John Reiley Haney, who is registered a Native American married Minnie Lee Raines. If this doesn't help you maybe someone else will find something they may be looking for. Thanks alot for your reply.

Haneytown, Va.

Posted: 21 Aug 2000 7:02AM GMT
Hi Lynda, I have just today got back on this contraption...been busy. I will check with West Virginia and see if they have a Haneytown...you may be right about the annexing or etc. Anyone out there with any info on "Haneytown, Va." please post it. Thanks!

Haneytown, VA

Posted: 11 Sep 2000 4:30PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2001 1:25AM GMT
Haneytown is an "area" in Greene County. It is not a town or city at this time. It probably was a place where mostly Haneys lived in the late 1700s and early 1800s. Geographically it is at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the southwestern corner of Greene County not too far from Albemarle County. It is not in West Virginia.

Very few people would know where it is since it would not be on a map. The only reason that I am familiar with Haneytown is because I live in Greene and hunted grouse in that part of the county as a teenager. Even though I am a Haney, I do not believe that my ancestors came from Haneytown.

My e-mail address is hokster@firstVA.com if you have further questions.

Haney

Nanette Richard (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2000 9:56PM GMT
I am looking for a Henry Haney who lived in Buchannan, Boetetort Co., Virginia in the 1840's, 1850's. I believe the family owned the hotel in Buchannan called Boetetort Hotel which has since burned.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Haneytown

Posted: 1 Nov 2000 10:33AM GMT
Edited: 27 Oct 2001 2:04PM GMT
I'm a newcomer to this board and spotted this message. Following is information I got from another researcher trying to track Haneys out of Rockingham Co VA, Greene Co WV, Orange Co VA: "I know that John Haney's land was listed in the upper part of Orange Co (Swift Run) which then turned into Greene Co, and that is where Haneytown is." Any help?

John H. Haney of Haneytown

Posted: 3 Dec 2000 3:51PM GMT
Edited: 2 Nov 2001 6:59PM GMT
Hi Lynda,
That John H. Haney that you mention as being buried in Haneytown in 1840 is my gggggrandfather. The John Haney b. 1790 and married to Elizabeth Watson is believed to be the son of John H. Haney.
Do you happen to remember where you got the info on John H. Haney? This is the first time that I have seen a mention of a middle initial for John H. or that he is buried at Haneytown.
I have not been to Haneytown myself but have corresponded with someone who has. Evidently there are a couple of houses there as well as an old church that has been converted into a house. There is a cemetery there with mostly unmarked graves according to my source. I hope to get there some day soon. I live in northern Va. so it is not too far from me.
Thanks for any help that you can give me on this family from Haneytown.
Joyce

Re: Haney

Posted: 1 Sep 2001 3:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I just read your query this evening. I am related to the Haney's that owned the hotel in Buchanan. I have several names that you may be interested in if we can connect.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions