Search for content in message boards

Browns

Posted: 23 Feb 2010 6:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Feb 2010 3:51PM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Brown
Looking for anyone who may have a Nelson Brown and Parthenia Brown in Albermarle Co.
These are my gggrand parents also may be a Scott connection?

Re: Browns

Posted: 2 Mar 2010 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: Monroe, Brown, Cocke
I've done research on "The Cedars" house at Greenwood Alb. The Va. slave birth index has the birth of Topsy dau. of Parthenia slave of John S. Cocke (who owned The Cedars and built the house there. Post war m. records show Topsy Brown dau Nelson and Parthenia married Preston Monroe then she married another Monroe. So Parthenia was owned by John S. Cocke pre civil war. Nelson Brown not necessarily so. A James Wellington Brown (brother of Topsy) married 1877 Mary Etta Wood dau Ben & Cynthia.

There is a Jefferson Monroe with James Bailey in 1880 census who owned The Cedars house at that time. I've been helping some one out trying to straighten out the Monroes or do research on them.

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 2:06AM GMT
Thank you for the reply I Don't think thats parthenia I'm searching for all my census records and family records sho she's married to nelson again thank you for the response.

Carlton Scott

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 1:52PM GMT
just to be sure:
The family I am taling about in 1880 census they are # 55 in Samuel Miller dist. Nelson Brown is 72 his wife Parthenia is 62 children: Lewis 17, Thomas 15, Ella 13, james 28 + others. Topsy, her daughter is two people away in the census and married to Preston Monroe.
In 1870 census they are family 741 in Samuel Miller district. Nelson Brown 50, "Partheny" his wife 40, James 22, Nelson 9 and Lewis is 7.

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 1:04PM GMT
Yes this is my line of Browns, Ella Brown married Isiah W Scott born 1854 Washington DC they both had 2 children Curtis and Frances Scott my Grandfather is "Frances"

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 1:29PM GMT
On the internet if you do a google search for "Virginia slave birth index John S. Cocke" or your local library has the books done in WPA under Roosevelt. This book has the birth of about 3 children of Parthenia. The most unusual but is the most helpfull is Topsy's birth. Topsy's mother is listed as "Persona" (by memory) in the book. I don't know Parthenia's maiden name. This doesn't mean Nelson Brown was a former slave of John S. Cocke also but that's possible. You can also find out info on John S. Cocke and "The Cedars" house Alb. on the internet by similar searches.

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 2:05PM GMT
I know of in Alb. these marraiges so far:
-James Wellington Brown 27, son Nelson & Parthenia m. 9/27/1877 Mary Etta Wood dau Ben & Cynthia
-Topsy Brown 18 dau Nelson & Parthenia m. 11/5/1870 Wellington Monroe son "Mat & Cinda"
-Topsy Monroe, widower, dau Nelson & Parthenia Brown, m. 11/2/1876 Preston Monroe son Madison and Lucinda" [so her 1st husband, Wellington, was Preston's brother, and since Wellington was James Brown's middle name perhaps the Browns and Monroes were related some how?]
-Pauline Brown m. 10/9/1870 Oliver Dickinson son Terrell & Nancy

If you look at J.F. Bell funeral records on line (they can be found by google search) I believe more info on the Browns & Monroes can be found.

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 4:41PM GMT
Thank you so much you have given more information. I'm deeply grateful.
Each new step is very enlighting I'll keep researching once again thank you very much.
Carlton
per page

Find a board about a specific topic