Search for content in message boards

How to change parents in FTM 2010

How to change parents in FTM 2010

Posted: 4 Dec 2009 2:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to get several children with correct one of three mothers but the Relationship box to select the preferred parents only lists one set of the three that should be there. I'm missing something but can't see it.

Re: How to change parents in FTM 2010

Posted: 4 Dec 2009 3:58AM GMT
laxrebel,

Usually, the People, Detach and Attach commands will resolve relationship issues. Detach from the incorrect Parent(s) and Attach to the Correct Parent(s).

If that doesn't help, please be a little more specific.

Thank you,

Russ

Posted: 4 Dec 2009 3:42PM GMT
I figured it out via attach - detach. Thanks. Some how from the HELP facility I got the idea one could simply change a child to other existing parents (same father - different mother) via the Relationship function.

Posted: 5 Dec 2009 4:08AM GMT
laxrebel,

But, isn't the detach / attach part of the relationship function?

It's easier for me to 'detach' from and incorrect relationship and to 'attach' to the correct relationship.

Good luck,

Russ

Posted: 5 Dec 2009 4:27PM GMT
I recently upgraded from 2006 to 2010 so am learning the new processes. Detach-attach I was familiar with so I used that this time, per above. My initial post was based on what I found in searching 2010 for this function. I saw the Preferred Parents dialogue instruction and it seemed to be what I needed. A one-step process compared with detach-attach. The father has three marriages. But when I click on the Preferred Parents box for the child in the wrong relationship, only the existing parents (wrong mother) display, not the other two, so no choice can be made. So I guess I need to experiment to better understand the purpose of the Preferred Parents function.

Posted: 7 Dec 2009 11:18AM GMT
laxrebel,

The Preferred Parents function, works much like all of the "Preferred" options that you have. Which is, if there are choices is a FACT, which one do you want to show up in a report. The is IF you select the Preferred Only option.

The Preferred Parents option would work if a child has an adoptive family (mother or father) along with the Natural Family. So, the choice, in a report or tree, would be to show the Natural Parents or the Adoptive Parents.

Does that help?

Russ

Posted: 25 Aug 2010 4:02AM GMT
I know this post is old, but has anyone found the solution to this problem? The problem is that although FTM 2010 says in the documentation that selecting "Preferred Parents" for an individual and then checking "Include only Preferred Facts" will result in that individual being associated with only the preferred parents in reports, this just does not work (like it did in FTM 2005).

This is an admited bug that FTM says they are working on. But instead they are bringing out FTM 2011. Does anyone know if FTM 2011 fixes this bug? This is really aggravating, as anyone who has tried producing a report for relatives who are adopted or have adopted children knows. Many people do not want to be reminded of parents who abandonned them or were abusive and would rather only be listed with the people they regard as their "real" parents.

Posted: 25 Aug 2010 1:23PM GMT
Kevin,

Sorry, not sure exactly what the issue is here.

The Preferred Only option, will only report the Preferred only Parents. Unchecking that option should give you all parents.

What report, specifically, are you having a problem with?

Yes, thing may work differently in 2005 and 2010. I am guessing that you are using Version 2010.

Russ

Posted: 26 Aug 2010 12:10AM GMT
Yes, I am using FTM 2010. This doesnot work in FTM 2010. I guess you don't know how to fix this either.

Posted: 26 Aug 2010 3:29AM GMT
Kevin,

I re-read your first post, and I still don't understand the issue.

Please provide an example, and maybe we can resolve the issue.

You say that FTM is working on the issue, What are they working on? How do you know they are working on it.

I am really trying to understand the problem. A specific example would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Russ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic