Search for content in message boards

Michigan Home Training School in Lapeer

Michigan Home Training School in Lapeer

Posted: 12 Feb 2002 3:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Mar 2006 5:42PM GMT
Surnames: BELT
I'm looking for the records for the Michigan Home Training School
that used to be in Lapeer and especially for the records of Lee BELT who died there in 1937. Thanks a lot.
Dee

Re: Michigan Home Training School in Lapeer

Posted: 23 Apr 2002 9:58PM GMT
Edited: 24 Apr 2002 3:27AM GMT
I'm sorry, but I have no information for you yet. However, I am also looking for records from the Michigan Home Training School for the years 1914 thru approx 1920. If you have had any luck could you please post your source? I am looking for information on a young girl aged 4-10 who entered the school as a Ward of the State (removed from the home) in 1914. Her name was Anna Maree McGhan.

Meanwhile, if I find any information which may help you, I will post it as well.

Thank you and good luck.
Kathleen

Posted: 24 Apr 2002 2:38AM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2006 5:42PM GMT
Kathleen,
I haven't had any answers to my query yet, except you ,but I'll let you know when I do.
Thanks.
Dee

Posted: 2 May 2002 3:45AM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2005 1:20PM GMT
I found a book in the Lapeer library that may be of help to you both. It is the Index to S. D. Brown Funeral Records, Lapeer, MI Jan 15, 1877 - Aug. 22, 1943 Indexed by John E. Cody. Basically it is a listing of those Mr. Brown readied for burial and for some, where they were buried. He wrote notes about the some of people, how or where they died, etc. Some of the people from the home had notes, "D.A." which meant their "bodies were sent to Ann Arbor (U of MI) for Demonstrations of Anatomy, no burial location."

I'll see if your people are listed in his book. Apparently there were a few years wherein he took a partner and when the two parted ways, some of the pages were ripped out of his book. Some of the pages have been found but a few years are still missing.

Posted: 8 May 2002 3:41AM GMT
I asked about the records from the Home tonight at the Lapeer library and the man in charge told me that all of them are sealed in Lansing. The library has death records from the funeral home and newspapers (but they're not indexed) and most patients obits would not be in the paper. I asked about census information but they said the patients were not counted, and if they had been, that information would be sealed also, "most likely 70 years like the other census figures, to avoid embarrassment."

If Anna remained single he told me, you might be able to find her in an old telephone directory. The earliest phone book I found was 1946 or so and I looked thru several into the 1950's but didn't see her name in Lapeer. Many of the patients became housekeepers or cooks and were in great demand. Anna would have been too young for that.

I'll keep looking for your two people.

Posted: 10 Jul 2002 7:40PM GMT
http://www.sos.state.mi.us/history/archive/circular/c57.html

Have you seen this site before? Could it be of any help to you?

MHTS/Lapeer State Home/Oakdale Center HORROR STORY

Posted: 28 Nov 2002 10:22PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2005 8:07PM GMT
As a teenager I had gone through the abandoned buildings and found many tipped over file cabinets that once were filled with papers. The papers were everywhere. I am sure no effort was made to save these and they disappeared without a trace just as the buildings did. Many homeless in Lapeer lived at Oakdale while it was empty, just as they did when it was up and running in the early 1900's. They took in the sick, homeless and orphaned back then. I do not know when they changed it strictly to a medical facility.

Does anyone know what the legalities are on publishing photos of patients that were there in the 1930's?? No one is named but these photos are wonderful. So many smiling faces despite the life they had to lead. Many of my family members were employees there but these photos were taken when it was allowed and they were patients of a particular family member who befriended those in the photos. She passed away many years ago before the album was found so it's unlikely that I will ever be able to put names to the faces.

The cemetery in the back is intact. The headstones only contain numbers but the Lapeer County Genealogical Society produced a list of names with their burial records (cemetery readings) which can be found at many libraries. If anyone is looking for this information just drop me a line. I will run up there and get the list as I do not have it at this time.

Good luck.

Re: MHTS/Lapeer State Home/Oakdale Center HORROR STORY

Kathleen (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2002 8:18PM GMT
Thank you to all who have helped with our search for information on Anna. We are still looking. It is frustrating because so many records are either sealed or do not exist. Also because of geography, traveling to many of the sites are simply not possible. We will continue to look and just wanted everyone to know how much your shared knowledge is appreciated. You never know when one little bit of information might open the flood gates. Thank you again.

Posted: 19 Mar 2003 3:28PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2003 5:11PM GMT
Hello,

In regarding the Michigan Home and Training School in Lapeer county, I found a web site that lists everyone who stayed there, in three federal census years, 1900, 1910, and 1920. The web site is: www.usgennet.org/usa/mi/county/lapeer/in/1920 (for the 1920 records) from there, you can click on what range of alpahbetical names your ancestor would have been in.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to email me.
Denise

Re: MHTS/Lapeer State Home/Oakdale Center HORROR STORY

Kel Zuehlk (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2003 3:32PM GMT
I'm doing a history project on the cemetery and the State Home. I've been back to the cemetery and gotten pictures of the graves, but still need information about the home and people there. If possible, would you be able to send me some of these pictures? Very few of the graves have names, and those that do are barely readable. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Kel Zuehlk
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions