Search for content in message boards

CAIN'S OF WEST MS

CAIN'S OF WEST MS

Shauna Cain (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CAIN
Looking for anyone who knows about or is relation to any CAIN's in West, Mississippi. My g grandmothers name was Carrie Belle Cain, she was born in West in the late 1800's...She had one daughter, Berniece Cain, also born in West in 1926.

Attala County Cains

Posted: 19 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2006 4:52AM GMT
Surnames: Cain, Dickerson, Hutchison
I do not have any direct connection with the Cain family--although several of my very distant Hutchison cousins married Cain descendants.

If you have the chance, you might want to contact Mrs. Ollie Dickerson Hutchison of Newport, MS. She is in her 90's now and is the daughter of Jasper and Mary Cain Dickerson. When I last spoke with her in connection with research for my book "Yesterday"--an Attala County history/genealogy--she was possessed of an excellent memory and was very helpful. She is the widow of Clifton Hutchison and lives at their family home on Highway 14.

CAIN'S OF WEST MS

Shauna Cain (View posts)
Thanks so much for the information...I will try Attala County...Are you any relation to any CAIN's??

Cains of West, MS

Edited: 23 May 2006 4:52AM GMT
Surnames: Cain, Burrell, Able, Aldy, Dickerson
It may help in your search for Cains to know that a large number of them lived just across the Big Black River from West, MS in the adjacent Attala County. Descendants of this family intermarried with other Attala County families and some of the latter are listed above.

Edward Hutchison
Jackson, MS

Cain's

Shauna Cain (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Thanks so Much for the information!!

CAIN'S OF Attala County

Shauna Cain (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Thanks so Much for the information!!

Re: Cains of West, MS

gina janisse (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2006 5:58AM GMT
Surnames: Hutchinson, Cain, Burrell -mainly Aldy.
Hi I just got into this researchiny family history thing and i love it! I've just recieved information on my family tree history n there are a lot of the same names that i've found that are her on your surname chart please email me i feel as if i just inlocked a door! thanks Gina.

Re: Cains of West, MS mainly -aldy's !!!

gina janisse (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2006 6:08AM GMT
my grandmothers side of the family was the aldy's they are from attala georgia i just got a lot of info we should chat please email me ginajanisse@lycos.com I'm doing research for a family tree have it all set up on my computer n all please let me know if i have the right aldy its a name stemmed from Ireland's O'day.

Re: Cains of West, MS

Posted: 10 Feb 2006 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: Cain, Aldy, Hutchison, Hutchinson, Dickerson, Burrell, Burel, Ashley, Breland, Ables
I am from the Dickerson and Cain blending in Attala County. My father is Carl Allen Dickerson. My grandparents are Hubert Dickerson and Euphie Cain. Euphie's parents were Vera Willis and Cicero Cain.

I just entered a ton of Hutchison/Hutchinson information because they tie into some of my lines on both sides of my family. I have Aldy info, Cain, Dickerson, Burrell (back to 1500s thanks to Wylodean Edwards), Ashley, Breland, and more.

I have a huge database of all my lines (36500+ people not all on my side of family though. My husband has a few thousand of his own in there). I do have a ton of Cain info through Cicero's lines and up. If anyone is interested you may download it at www.dickerson-goodloe.com and email me if you have a connection. I am interested in expanding my database to include anyone that I don't already have. If you can fill in blanks or if you need to correct data that I have, please email me! Links are on my page above.

I was born and raised in Sallis, Attala, MS. My dad and grandmother still live there. I have a ton of cousins, aunts/uncles, etc still in the area. I'm pretty much alone in California.

Please contact me!

Re: Cains of West, MS--Aldy/Alday/Allday versus O'Day

Posted: 5 Nov 2006 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Aldy/Alday/Allday/O'Day/Cains
I suggest that you go slow and be very critical of the Red O'Day story. My mother and I both used to accept that story a real possibility, but after several years of studying the family roots I have found a number of flaws that discredit the story. Luke Matthew Aldy was my grandfather, and his father was Redmon Robert Lee Aldy of Sallis, MS. The first Aldy/Alday/Allday into Attala County, MS was Redmond Wilburn Aldy/Alday/Allday, my great-great-grandfather. He and his family first moved to the Shady Grove community of Attala Co., MS. The spelling of "ALDY" is unusual in the family and pretty much marks that part of the family with roots from Attala Co., MS. After the death of Redmond W. Aldy, it appears that the rest of the family relocated from Shady Grove to the small farming community of Sallis, MS, where some of the family farms to this day. The early family moved up from the Kemper Co., MS area, and before that they were down in southwest Georgia, where others of the family remain. The father of Redmond W. Aldy/Alday was Benjamin Alday/Allday, who came from southwest Georgia and lived for several years in Butler Co., AL, where he died. Benjamin served in the Butler County Militia about 1835 (Henderson's Company, Smith's Alabama Mounted Volunteers). Not long thereafter, following his father's death, Redmond and his mother and a brother all moved back to southwest Georgia, where they remained until his mother's death sometime shortly after 1850. Redmond W. Alday then moved up into Mississippi. The father of Benjamin Alday/Allday was Josiah Alday/Allday who was a captain in the Augusta Division of the Georgia State Militia for some six years prior to the Revolutionary War (reference the Third Company of the Fourth Regiment, known as Captain Josiah Allday's Company). For a period of time, the family lived just to the south of Augusta, GA near Waynesboro (Burke Co., GA). The family roots are fairly easy to trace and document back to this point, and the earlier family clan can be traced all the way back to Colonial Virginia. The sketchy documentation for the O'Day story just does not fit the established family profile for Aldy/Alday/Allday family of Georgia/Alabama/Mississippi. Later, some of this family clan left Attala Co., MS and went on to settle in Louisiana and Texas. Be careful with the facts and good luck with your continued research.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions