Search for content in message boards

Help on my Lithuanian ancestors

Help on my Lithuanian ancestors

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 3:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Sep 2012 4:02PM GMT
Surnames: Jurgaitis, Pashakornis, Gribauskas, Valenta
So what I can see is that Lithuanian hsitory is almost unknown in the US. I really need to find stuff on my ancestors, but their surnames were spelled so many different ways It's hard to find stuff.
I am looking for stuff on the following families:
-Stanislaw (Stanley) Jurgaitis, Yurgaitis, Jurgaiciutes. 1888-1940, born in Lithuania died in Chicago, Ill
-Juliann (Julia) Gribauskas, Gribanskos, Gribauskiule, Grybowska.1890-1945 b. in Lithuania died in Chicago, Ill
-Mattouse (Matthew) Pashakornis (Pash), Paschakanerra. 1877-1938 b. in Lithuania, d. Cedar Rapids, IA
- Magdalene (Maggie) Mary Valenta, Valenitte, Valantis 1880-1961 b. Lithuania d. Cedar Rapids, IA

from what I have found I know Maggie's father's first name is Joseph. Ibelieve him to be Joseph Valatis who married a Petronella Garbesias. Mattouse's parents are Jo and Victoria. Stanley's father is a Charles, and I believe his mother to be a Ryaine Kumbritute, I believe is father's real name is Kasimir. I think Julia's parents are George Gribauskas, and Katrina Alvikas. on a 1920 census it showed that Maggie had a brother named Charles Ambrose, who lived with her, her husband, and kids, I don't know why his last name is different than er maiden name was. I am uncertain of all listed in this paragraph.

Any help on any of these surnames or relatives would be extremely helpful.
Thank You,
Steven

Re: Help on my Lithuanian ancestors

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 7:49PM GMT
hello,please give me a few days and i will send you some info ,we may have some of the same family from info i have.my husband died couple of weeks ago and i am working as much as i able to right now which is not much. please bearbwith meand i will get back to you. thank pat

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 8:36PM GMT
Yes please take your time, i am really sorry to hear about your husband! If it will make it easier you can just email me the stuff at smithsa111@yahoo.com, but please take your time, don't feel like you are rushed on it! Thank you!

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 7:34PM GMT
Hey, I hate to rush you, because of your circumstance, but this research is for my grandmother's side, and I am seeing her this weekend, and would love to get this to her.
just email the info to smithsa111@yahoo.com

-Thanks,
Steven A. Smith

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 8:26PM GMT
I don't know whether is it going to help in your research but I thought it would be good if you had correct Lithuanian spellings for all of surnames that you mentioned.

Stanislovas Jurgaitis (Jurgaiciutes means Jurgaitis in plural feminine form)
Julija Grybauskaitė (Grybowska is the Polish spelling, Gribauskas is the Lithuanian masculine form of this surname)
Matas, Motiejus Pašakarnis (this surname is found in Northern Lithuania, however it is spread around, try phone book on 118.lt and play a little with roots of the surnames, no Lithuanian letters needed)
Magdalena, Magdelena Marija Valantaitė, Valentaitė

Juozas Valaitis (Valatis is somewhat mispelled)
Petronėlė Garbenytė, Garbečiūtė (possibly)
Kumbrevičiūtė (can't come up with anything on her name)
Kotryna Alvikaitė (Alvikas is the correct surname for male)
Ambrose could be the second name but not a surname.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 9:10PM GMT
thanks this might help, because it's really hard to find any records on this people and it's probably because the names isn't spelled right. So i will try these names, they should help! thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions