Search for content in message boards

Immigration from Gostynin - through Hamburg?

Immigration from Gostynin - through Hamburg?

Posted: 11 Feb 2009 9:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Braeutigam, Brautigam, Belter
Hello. In the 1910 US census for Chicago my great grandpa Gustav Braeutigam indicated he came to the US in 1904. His wife Bertha (father's name Jacob Belter) along with four kids arrived in 1907. At least one of their children - my grandma Emma Brautigam - was born in Gostynin in 1900 and all indications are that the family was living there when they left for the US. I have not found them on a passenger list, nor have I found any of their birth records. Did most immigrants from Gostynin leave via Hamburg? What were the other possibilities? Thank you! Steve Heimerle

Re: Immigration from Gostynin - through Hamburg?

Posted: 19 Mar 2009 5:43AM GMT
Hi Steve,

The 1910 census record had the right immigration information...

Please do the honors of correcting their names if this is the correct family!

The child listed above Bertha's name (on the passenger list) died of diphtheria, a highly contagious bacterial disease... gives you an idea of what was happening on that voyage.

Gustav's 1904 passenger list is only one page... whereas Bertha's 1907 is 2.

Baltimore Passenger Lists, 1820-1948
about Gustav Brantigan

Name: Gustav Brantigan
Arrival Date: Jun 1904
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
Race: German
Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany
Ship Name: Brandenburg
Port of Arrival: Baltimore, Maryland
Destination: Chicago,IL
Friend's Name: John Strasen (cousin?)
Last Residence: Russia
Microfilm Roll Number: 42
Page: 205

Baltimore Passenger Lists, 1820-1948
about Bertha Bianligam

Name: Bertha Bianligam
Arrival Date: Oct 1907
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Ship Name: Rhein
Friend's Name: Gustav Bianligam
Microfilm Roll Number: 68
Page: 37

Alga Bianligam abt 1898
Bertha Bianligam abt 1873
Emma Bianligam abt 1901
Julian Bianligam abt 1896

Name: Emma Bianligam
Arrival Date: Oct 1907
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1901
Ship Name: Rhein
Friend's Name: Gustav Bianligam
Microfilm Roll Number: 68
Page: 37

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Baltimore Passenger Lists, 1820-1948 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006.

Posted: 19 Mar 2009 5:13PM GMT
Wow! Yes, that is indeed the right family! THANK YOU VERY MUCH. My goodness, such mangling of the names. No wonder I could not find them. I am looking at the passenger records and have a question or two, and will write again later today.

Steve Heimerle
San Francisco

Posted: 27 Apr 2009 10:59PM GMT
Steve - have you found the Brautigam's in the SGGEE database (I see you are a member)? There are a couple from Nowa Wies which is the parish immediately west of Gostynin. People from a village in that area might associate themselves with the larger town of Gostynin or might have later moved to the Gostynin parish.

Jerry

Posted: 6 Aug 2009 7:27PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Streichert Streicher Sovitz Lochwitz
08-06-2009
I have relatives that say they were born in Gostin, Russia; others from Plock Poland; and others from Louisenthal(--tal when in German control, Russia.

My grandfather Jakob Streichert was born in Louisenthal Russia but that is only from immigration records. Most of them were listed as in the hospital on the ship over from Bremen. Several were detained at Ellis Island--but alas I have not found any death notices and I assume they either died or were sent back. Paula

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 3:43PM GMT
Paula,

The SGGEE databases http://www.sggee.org show 30 Streicher, all in the Gostynin region though none specifically in Luisenthal.

Many places in Poland had Germanic names even when Germany was not in control of the territory. Luisenthal (note spelling) is today known as Ludwikowo and is located a few km ENE of Gostynin, just off the road to Plock. This would have been in Gostynin Parish, Plock Diocese so the references to either are understandable.

Jerry Frank

Posted: 26 Nov 2009 8:41PM GMT
Paula,

I just wanted to get in touch with you, so I'm responding to this query.

I am searching for family of Zuzana Mindala, b. 1886 in Jakubany, Slovakia, married to Vargo. I think she lived in Cleveland OH (?) Her parents are Stefan Mindala & Terezia Jancsi. She is my Grandpa's sister.
Are you related to her at all?

Jarmila

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 1:07PM GMT
A small point which might save confusion. You say "...tal when in German control." It would not be "tal" "when in German control", it would still be German if it was spelt "thal". In older German "th" was often used but the sound was just "t" - das Thal = valley, das Tal = valley, Rosenthal, a not uncommon name is pronounced Rosental and sometimes spelt that way. The "th" for the "t" sound is simply something which has died out in modern German, nothing to do with a different language or government.

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 1:42PM GMT
our family member left from bremerhaven or sometimes called bremen, they are the same german state. i found him listed in the ships minifest in the ellis island search site. he came in 1903. so check out that path. have you been able toget birthcertificates from gostynin?

Posted: 8 Feb 2010 1:54AM GMT
hello - i did find my brautigam leaving hamburg. the father left 2 years earlier than his wife and children, who arrived in 1906 (or maybe it is 1907 - i am away from my info). i have not gotten birth certs from gostynin tho. it was suggested i try via the website polishexpress.com and i have written him a couple of times but no response at all. can you suggest a route? thanks very much!

finding my brautigams was an amazing experience because a whole sort of leap frog pattern was unveiled: one relative started things then others followed. much was validated and it prompted responses from my mom such as: oh yes uncle so and so!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions