Search for content in message boards

katz surname lithuanian jewish?

katz surname lithuanian jewish?

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 11:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: katz, cohen
My great grand parents on my mother's mother's side were I believe from Lithuania. They immigrated around 1901/02. Max Katz/4-15-1875 and Anna Esther Cohen/1878?. They lived in the Boston area from the point of immigration to death. I have found them in the US Census a couple of times. I am wondering if someone has any resources to find where they came from exactly. The census says Russia. There is a rumor in the family that they were first cousins. I'd like to find out more about that. But don't know where to start.

And also, regarding names. I know that many foreign people changed their names when immigrating sometimes because of the difficulty in pronouncing their given name. It seems that Max and Anna were popular to change to. Any tips to discover what their REAL names were?

Re: katz surname lithuanian jewish?

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 2:52AM GMT
Have you found their arrival information that might list the specific location they emigrated from.

Did wither of them become citizens? Their naturalization paperwork would yield info regarding birthplaces.

Which censuses did you find them in? The 1940 is the most current one available?

Tom S.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 3:27PM GMT
Hi Tom

I have not found any arrival information. It appears as though Max had "first papers" and Anna(Annie) remained an alien. I found them in the 1910,20,30 and 40 Census'

Thanks for your help.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 6:57PM GMT
What did he write down for his arrival info on his Declaration of Intent (a.k.a.First Papers).

Were they married before they arrived in the U.S. or did they marry here?

Tom S.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 7:36PM GMT
max could be motel and anne is hannah or even chaia.
It is of interet to mention that Max was a KOhane and married a bas(daughter of) a Kohane. they were the high priests. descended from Aaron.
if you have a pic of the headstones we can help translate the names for you.
google jcam for info.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 7:43PM GMT
have you checked with every living older relative and machatunim? ketubah, bible,

Katz is a common nama my katz relatives were from kaunas
area. ben was made to be a cossack for russia because of his build and height. keshefka ----something like that was the shtetl ....all livedin the pa le of settlement of russia.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 7:48PM GMT
plse give dob and dod and location for max katz .....
what town /city in ma? do you know name of cemetery?
did he have brothers that you could look up for same info?

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 9:42PM GMT
I have not found a "declaration of intent". Only what is indicated by "pa" on a census. Also, I believe they were married in this country, but not for sure. It's difficult to get in touch with remaining family members that may know more info. But I think I am at a dead end. :(

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 9:44PM GMT
Thank you. I will try to google. What does Kohane mean please?

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 9:46PM GMT
Hello. I don't understand: "...machatunim? ketubah,...". I apologize for being so ignorant! Although I have Jewish heritage. I did not grow up in a Jewish household. But I am very interested in learning all I can. Thank you.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions