Search for content in message boards

CALLING ALL DUGGANS, WITH RELATIVES WHO SAW UK MILITARY SERVICE FROM 1760.

CALLING ALL DUGGANS, WITH RELATIVES WHO SAW UK MILITARY SERVICE FROM 1760.

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 6:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DUGGAN DUGAN
I AM A DUGGAN, AND AM RESEARCHING AND HAVE A DATABASE OF DUGGANS WHO SERVED IN THE ARMY, NAVY, AND RAF, IN THE BRITISH ARMED FORCES, FROM 1760 ONWARDS. IF YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOGRAPHS,OF YOU RELATIVES WHO DID SERVE, ESP. VICTORIAN, AND WW1 CAN YOU EMAIL ME A COPY?. I CARRY OUT RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ACHIVES.

Re: CALLING ALL DUGGANS, WITH RELATIVES WHO SAW UK MILITARY SERVICE FROM 1760.

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 8:53PM GMT
Yes, I have a Duggan great grandfather under those criterea and I've never had access to British military records.

John James Duggan born about July 23, 1832 in Tralee, Kerry County, Ireland.

He served in the British army during the crimean war and we highly suspect that he was at Sabastipol (sp?) during the Battle of the Light Brigade time. Family history says he was in that battle (with the Light Brigade) and received a Victoria Cross. This would be highly unlikely as he was a poor Irish boy (not calvary) who was suppose to have entered the British Army at age 15. He did receive a metal for sure.. but most likely the one everyone received in the Crimean War.

John Duggan lived through the very bloody Crimean War and then moved to Charleston, South Carolina in America just in time for the start of the Civil War. What luck.

I have his life pretty documented from Charleston on, but have no real info from Ireland or any British military records. If passed down family lore has any credibility, John James Duggan would have been in the British Army sometime around the years of 1847- and sometime before 1857 when he moved to America.

If your records sheds any light on his British military service, it would indeed be a breakthrough. Unfortunately I have no pictures of him at all.

Sandra Beach

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 8:59PM GMT
Philip,
Here is some info about a distant relative of mine, and I have assumed that his mother was a Duggan. I wrote a letter to London years ago to try to find info, but to no avail. I may have some more information on his unit, and their involvement in the War in the Peninsula.
Pat Kowaleski
Denver, Colorado
patrickekowaleski@gmail.com

Henry Duggan Wood, the father of Rose Hannah Wood, was born about 1790 in County Meath and apprenticed to a shoe maker where he worked for 7 years before running away and enlisting as Henry Duggan, which was the name on his discharge papers. He received a silver medal for fighting at Badajoz (4/6/1812), Salamanca, (7/22/1812), and Barcelona (?).He fought with Wellington and was wounded at Quatre Bras (6/16 or17, 1815) just prior to the Battle of Waterloo. Only about a third of Wellington’s troops were British, many troops having disbanded at the end of the War in the Peninsula in 1814.
His home was in the W ½, W ½ of lot 7, Concession 6, Metcalfe Twp., Middlesex, County, Ontario, Canada.

From my Grandmother, who got the story from her mother, Mary Ellen McMahon:
“Henry Duggan Wood received a silver medal with 3 bars and the name of 3 battles on it. Salmonica (sp), Barsalona(sp) and Badagoe(sp). He was to have been in Waterloo but was sent to Quatre Brasse (sp), three days before to keep Napoleon from crossing the stream and was wounded so they sent him to England an gave him his discharge, with honor. He carried a bullet in his leg to the day he died.”

Posted: 5 Feb 2009 4:28PM GMT
Surnames: DUGGAN
Private John Duggan (Regimental No.4315) 6th Battalion Royal Leinster Regiment. Born 1880 in Widnes, Lancashire. Killed Dec 30 1917 in Alexandria, Egypt when the troop ship HMS Aragon was hit by a German torpedo.
Have attached his medal card (but I don't understand it). I haven't found his military record.
I have also attached a photo of the ship as it sank.
Attachments:

Posted: 5 Feb 2009 7:19PM GMT
Surnames: Duggan (Ireland)
Maggie

you need to contact the PRO Kew to seek his Military records, enlistment papers etc..

When you say "Royal Leinster Regiment" are you referring to the "Leinster Regiment" (Royal Canadian) of that name, or The Dublin regiment?

You could join this group and try posting a message on their site:

britregiments-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

slan
Cyril Newsome
Loch Garman

Posted: 19 Feb 2009 11:46PM GMT
Leinster Regiment

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 10:43PM GMT
Hi do know if the National Archives have an record of Irish
Army,

Look for a Michael Duggan/Dougan born 1876 armagh, have been told he was part of the Irish Citizen Army.

Posted: 31 May 2010 10:15AM GMT
Surnames: Duggan
Hi, I am researching Thomas Duggan KOYLI 4682071 (older reg numbers 10215 and/or 80001). I am trying to track down where he was a prisoner of war after he was captured at the Battle of Le Cateau on 26 August 1916. Any information you have would be very welcome. All best wishes, Richard Corfield contact@richardcorfield.com

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 1:16AM GMT
THE MIC SAYS HIS NAME REGIMENT AND NUMBER. RIGHT SIDE SAYS DROWNED. VM RETURNED ( VICTORY MEDAL) AND CRV WHICH IS A VOUCHER AND REFERNCE NUMBERS. THE VM AND BWM ARE THE 2 MEDALS HE WAS AWARDED AND TO THE RIGHT ARE REFERENCES WHICH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES ONLY CAN BE CONVERTED TO GET THE MEDAL ROLLS. I PRESSUME YOU ARE RELATED.??? PHIL DUGGAN

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 1:19AM GMT
HI NO POW RECORDS ARE AT THE NA. FOR WW1, DIRECTLY, HOWEVER HIS MEDAL INDEX CARD COULD SHOW IT, OR HIS SERVICE PAPERS IF THEY SURVIVED...ARE YOU A RELATIVE OF HIS??? PHIL DUGGAN
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions