Search for content in message boards

Lithuanian port entry Wychules

Lithuanian port entry Wychules

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 10:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wychules, Ubitir,wychuis,ubilir, wychulis
I am trying to find out where my great grandparents came in the us from so i can get there naturalization records. On the 1930 census it says they immigrated in 1910 for William Wychules and for his wife Agnes she immigrated in 1912. I'm from Onondaga county NY and i checked the naturalization records and nothing was there but they showed up in the 1920 census in Dewitt, NY which is still in Onondaga county and i can't find them in a 1910 census anywhere. i checked the Ellis island site and nothing. so I'm thinking they might have came down through Canada. i need help anyone?

Re: Lithuanian port entry Wychules

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 6:04PM GMT
Edited: 27 Oct 2012 6:05PM GMT
JHayden152:

Did Agnes also go by the given name Augusta? In the 1920 Census she's enmuerated as "Agusta." William's WW1 draft registration states his next of kin is Augusta (wife), and they reside at Tow Path (same street as on the census records), East Syracuse, Onodaga Co, NY. Incidentally, although the 1920 and 1930 census records for William and Agnes give different town names, the street name is the same on each (East Syracuse village is/was an incorporated place of Dewitt Township in the 1930).

While William certainly could've certainly arrived in Canada and crossed the US border, he also could've sailed into Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, or any of the other US ports. Keep in mind, though, when looking for passenger arrival records, the name on the manifest would be the one appearing on his travel papers or passport presented to the shipping clerk prior to boarding the ship at the port of departure. So, you may not be finding it if you're looking for "William Wychules." William is an American/English given name, and Wychules is likely an Americanized spelling. :)

-MJ

Re: Lithuanian port entry Wychules

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 7:41PM GMT
MJ,

Yes I believe her first name was augusta and agnes was her middle name. William had two brothers Joseph and Anthoney wychules and i Found Joseph in pennsylvania in the 1910 census in Schuylkill county and luzerne county. I did find a passenger record for Joseph wichilus who came into boston, however i just ran out of membership so i'm going to have to renew. So if his brothers immigrated before him that would make sense that they came over first and settled in pennsylvania with all the coal mining operations and were there for the 1910 census and he could have met them there and naturalized in PA.

Re: Lithuanian port entry Wychules- Found Him

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 12:31AM GMT
I checked the Steve Morse website again and found his arrival at Ellis Island.

It is:

Wincent Woyczulis - age 22
arrived 1 April 1909 aboard SS Amerika sailing from Hamburg
headed to his cousin in East Syracuse NY
His NOK in Lithuania is his father Pawel Woyczulis

The entry also lists his home village and the name of his cousin.

See if you think this is him.

Tom S.

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 2:36PM GMT
Tom this is who i am looking for. can you foward me the link to that website and how i can find the listing.

thank you so much.

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 6:14PM GMT
Just go to:

www.stevemorse.org

and type in his given name and surname to get to the ship register listing him.

What info do you have regarding his wife since you don't have her arrivsl information either, correct?

Tom S.

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 9:43PM GMT
So He must not have been married before he came. His wife we know from his WW1 registration card was agusta and was agusta in the 1920 census and later went to Agnes and died as Agnes Wychules on april 30th, 1944 in east syracuse is says her maiden name was in the obituary was Ubaitis. but on my grandfather's marriage certificate it was Ubitir and on my grandmothers baptismal it was written as ubilir (could have been a misread). So Agnes Ubitir or Ubaitis was born about 1895 in lithuania. She and Her husband went to St. matthew's church in east syracuse.

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 1:13AM GMT
Was it the civil marriage license that you have or a copy of the actual church marriage register from the church (likely written in Latin)?

Tom S.

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 1:53AM GMT
my grandfather Parker Webster Hayden married Johanna Wychules in 1950 the daughter of william and Agnes. She said her maiden name was ubitir so it would be in english. it was a certified copy from the city clerks office. Johanna's baptismal record was from the church signed and sealed. but it wasn't in latin when i got it. maybe it was translated. but she wrote on there ubilir.

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 2:25AM GMT
I can look for the arrival of William's wife but I need some info. What names are they recorded under in the 1940 Census and the ones before that.

That should give me added info that I can use tosearch for her arrival in the U.S.

Tom S.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions