Search for content in message boards

Searching for Alexonis family roots

Searching for Alexonis family roots

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 2:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jan 2013 5:04PM GMT
I am trying to trace my fathers side of the family back to Russia. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to locate my great grandmother, Anna Alexonis' family which remained in Russia. Does anyone know of a legitimate Russian database that I could search? Thank you.

Re: Searching for Alexonis family roots

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 2:31PM GMT
Alexonis is a Lithuanian name. The family probably comes from what is Lithuania today. Some chances are they came from a different part of the Russian empire as well.
It does not make much difference at this point, as no database of the kind you are asking for exists. Also, the name is of medium incidence and you may start to chase a wrong track even if you will find a similar name somewhere.

What you need, is to find more detailed information at "your side" about where from and when your ancestor did come in; and then look for a possible appropriate source at the "other side".

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 3:03PM GMT
Thank you for your response. I have made contact with someone at the Lithuania State Historical Archives who may be able to assist me with my search.

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 3:16PM GMT
Yes, that's what I had in mind.

However, as far as I know, the for a standard inquiry you need to provide a name (which you have), a location or at least a hint which church it may have been, and an estimated date, then archives will search within +/-5 years.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 5:15PM GMT
I have recently heard back from the Lithuanian State Historical Archive. I had sent an email to them about a month ago re: my great grandparents Lithuanian/Russian roots. They tell me that they have possibly found my grandfathers birth name in the birth registry book kept by the Liskiava Roman Catholic Church. I hope that 2013 brings me closer to knowing my family roots!

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 5:42PM GMT
I'm curious as to whether you provided the Archives with a location to check records for.

There is no real index of births/deaths for the period of time you are interested in and you generally need to give them the name of the church that you want them to search.

Tom S.

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 1:49PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2013 6:46AM GMT
Aлексанисъ Анна (RU), Alexanis Anna born 1888 December 29 in Liškiava parish,village Rycieliai(now Lithuania)...,records are online.
(Akta stanu cywilniego parafii rzymskokatolickiej w Liszkowie 1808 - 1912)(PL)
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic