Search for content in message boards

THE "MANDY TREE"

THE "MANDY TREE"

Posted: 17 Oct 2002 1:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 May 2003 5:53PM GMT
Sorry, but this is not really genealogy. Does anyone have an old picture or postcard of the "Mandy tree", once located on W. Broadway in Madisonville? I remember it standing when I was a child, probably no more than 100 yards from the back of our house.

I would consider purchasing such a picture or postcard.

Thanks, Phil

Re: THE "MANDY TREE"

Posted: 2 Nov 2002 9:31PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2003 5:53PM GMT
Have received an old newspaper clipping with a picture. Would be glad to share with anyone interested. Thanks, Phil

Donald R. Ezell, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2003 7:45AM GMT
Please send me a scan of this article and photo if possible.
I am unable to find our family postcard of the "Mandy Tree." My Aunt says that she has it, but she has not had any sucess at finding it. I used to look at it when I was a small boy. I also saw it in "Ripley's Believe It Or Not,"years ago.
Thanks.

Posted: 19 Jun 2003 4:02AM GMT
Edited: 24 May 2005 2:15AM GMT
No problem. Here it comes. Phil

Don Ezell (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2003 7:13PM GMT
Thank you for the photo and article.
You are very kind to take time out of your day for me.
God bless you.

Posted: 8 Mar 2009 9:27PM GMT
I was born in Madisonville in 1933. I remember the Mandy Tree-- I think I saw it, or maybe just pictures of it. My mother talked about it a lot. Was it across from Oddfellows Cemetery?

Posted: 9 Mar 2009 1:44AM GMT
No, it was in that neighborhood though. It was on W.Broadway, just west of the old Atkinson College Bldg., an Afro-American school.

Posted: 9 Mar 2009 3:54PM GMT
Then it probably would not have been visible from Oddfellows. I have a memory of standing in the cemetery, and seeing the tree at a distance. That area wasn't built up at that time, so I might have seen it. It would have been before 1939, because we left Madisonville when I was 6. I was born on Dempsey St. where the Post Office parking lot is now. My dad was Ernest McCord, and he had a jewelry shop on Dempsey and I was born in the room in the back. I get back to Madisonville about once every year or two. Alway go to the cemetery, and tell my husband where I thought the Mandy tree was, across the road. There was a program about the tree this past weekend on Sci-Fi Channel.

Posted: 9 Mar 2009 7:17PM GMT
Indeed, at that time, the tree was probably visible. The Sugg St. and Bell Dr. areas were not developed until the early 50's.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions