Search for content in message boards

Ukmerge

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 3:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
I was wondering if anyone has had any success trying to find vital records from ukmerge? I read online that pre-WWI records basically do not exist anymore. I have been trying to locate anything at all online and the only records being preserved seem to be Jewish ancestry.

I have had no luck trying to locate any remnants of my ancestors or how they might have spelled their surnames. Any suggestions? That side of my family has all passed away so I have no one to ask.

Some of the surnames are or are similar to Baravicius, Uzenas, and Walasinski.

Thank you!

Re: Ukmerge

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 2:33PM GMT
Edited: 9 Dec 2012 2:34PM GMT
Surnames: Uzėnas, Valašinskas, Baravičius
According to catalogue of the Lithuanian Historical Archives, they have church books of Ukmerge Sts Peter and Paul's church from 1859 to 1899. Unfortunately, none of Ukmerge records are online. There are number of churches around Ukmerge which your relatives might have been baptized in. There are also diocese books that would be a third copy of records and would contain all records within diocese, I can see in a catalogue that such a book exists.
Lithuanian versions of surnames that you mentioned are: Uzėnas, Valašinskas (Valašinas), Baravičius.

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 4:34PM GMT
Thank you so much for the details. That at least gives me hope that if I write to enough places, I can find bits and pieces.

Also thanks for the surname translations. I had also read somewhere that all of the Polish names were being cataloged in Lithuanian so that greatly helps.

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 7:29PM GMT
The problem is that there are two Catholic churches in Ukmerge and I cannot see records for the second one. What do you know about your ancestors? Maybe they come from Ukmerge district, not from the town itself?

All surnames are indeed Lithuanized nowadays from all old documents. If your ancestors emmigrated before 1920, there is a good chance they used Russianized or Polonized version, even though they were Lithuanians.

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 10:56PM GMT
Unfortunately I don't know much about them beyond that they said they were from Ukmerge.

My great-grandfather took the name Barowski when he came to America. He wasn't even sure of his surname because he was put on a farm to work when he was very young away from his family. He knew it started with a "bar" and thought it was probably Baravicius or something along those lines.

My great-grandmother had several sisters come to the US as well. She knew her parents were named Juliusz and Konstantyna and we never knew how to spell the phonetics. Walasinski and Uzenas (Ewe-Zee_Nahs) were our best guesses.

My mom also said that they got married at St. John's in Vilnius, I just have not had the opportunity to write to them. I don't know how much they charge, either.

Thank you so much for all the info. I am excited to try to break this wall down.

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 11:55PM GMT
Edited: 10 Dec 2012 11:56PM GMT
St. John's church records are online from 1611 till 1907. What year and who exactly got married there?

Juliusz is a Polish spelling for Lithuanian Julijonas, short Julius. Konstantyna would be Konstancija, short form Kostė, Kastė in Lithuanian.

Do you have their arrival records, it would help to determine their birthplaces.

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 10:32PM GMT
As far as I know, my great grandparents got married on or about January 22, 1913. Their names were Apolonija Walasinksi (or something similar), and Joseph Danielis Barowski (Or Baravicius or something similar). I have not been able to locate their arrival papers yet.

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 9:13PM GMT
Could you tell me the site where St. John's records are located? I have not been able to find any online archives.

Thank you!

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 5:09PM GMT
When years were they born in?

Does Joseph show up in the WW I Draft Registration Card listings?

Tom S.

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 4:47PM GMT
Lithuanian Historical Archives put all their digital records on www.epaveldas.lt . Type in "Vilniaus Jonu RKB" and "Santuokos" (marriage) for Vilnius St. John's church records. You don't have to use Lithuanian letters. Unfortunately, the last book of weddings ends up in 1907, so it's not much you can do online.

Egle
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions