Search for content in message boards

James Strain

James Strain

Jan Golden (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2005 5:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
James was born about 1790 in S.C. Was he a son of David and Margaret (Watts) Strain who were in York Co, S.C. 1800 & 1810? James md. Catherine Stroup there about 1817 and they are in 1820 census - as is Margaret, widow. James and Catherine moved to Habersham Co, Ga. by 1830 and Cherokee Co by 1850 - he died 1869. Wish to correspond with descendants.

Re: James Strain

Galen Strain (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2005 5:38AM GMT
Surnames: Strain, Watts, Montgomery
John Strain, Jr. married Margaret Watts
David Strain married Nancy Montgomery
William Strain married Margaret Montgomery
These three men fought in the Revolutionary War on the colonial side. John Strain, Sr. (lay presbyterian minister) died in South Carolina around 1765. John Strain, Jr. died in 1798. His wife and most of his children went North to Ohio.
David Strain ,his wife, and family went North to Ohio.
William Strain died in 1796. His wife and children stayed in South Carolina.
I don't know the parents of this James Strain. HIs wife's maiden name is not known in my records.
There are several different Strain families in both North and South Carolina by 1800. My ancestral family came from Abbeville County, South Carolina
You need to check each US census until his death in 1869. Identify all the living children of this couple and then the grandchildren. Someone must have a story about this family. Good Hunting

Re: James Strain

Posted: 30 Jul 2007 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: Strain, Floyd, Cook
Question about David Strain and Margaret (Watts) 1800 census York Dist.,SC. Who were their children? I thought the James was mine, but born around 1793 and married Cynthia Cook, some decendants went to GA, and TX. Would you happen to know who the Benjamin Strain was in 1820 Census on the same page as James?

Another James Strain 1793-1858 York Co., SC married Cynthia Cook. Children: Ann Byers, Alexander marr. Missouri Withers, Mary Kendrick, Elizabeth Whisanant, Joseph E., *John James (J.J.) 1831-1883 marr. Sarah J. Floyd, Sarah Jane marr. J. Leroy Floyd.

John James Strain came to Collin Co., TX 1858. Some of Alexanders were in GA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic