Search for content in message boards

Place name: Garzdew? Zargdew?

Place name: Garzdew? Zargdew?

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to work out the name of a town on a marriage certificate, but I can't make out the handwriting.

The record is from 1894 and notes the country as Poland. Family have said that they were Lithuanian. Since the borders have changed so much and I can't seem to find anywhere that resembles this name, I don’t know where to begin.

I've attached the record- if anyone could help me out with the name of the modern town/ country that would be fantastic.

Thank you for your time.

Jen
Attachments:

Re: Place name: Garzdew? Zargdew?

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 2:08AM GMT
Jen,

Neither Poland nor Lithuania existed as independent nations from 1795-1918. Russia occupied the territory that is today's Lithuania and most of present-day Poland.

If they became citizens, their Declaration of Intent might list the birthplace with a better spelling.

Have you found their arrival in the U.S.

Tom S.

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 1:44PM GMT
They came to Scotland, but i can't find a record of their arrival. They used so many differnt names and there were some many Lithuanians coming here at that time, I can't even begin to narrow the records down.

The only the other record I can find lists their birth place as Russian-Poland.

Jen

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 3:59AM GMT
Jen,

Have you checked the Hamburg departure lists for them?

Russia Poland likely refers to the Suwalki gubernia which is today's southwest Lithuania, the area south and west of the Nemunas or Nieman River. My mother's family came from that region.

Tom S.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 9:55PM GMT
How about Gargzdai? Also known as:

Other names: Gorzdy,Gargždų,Gardždai,Gargzhday,Garždai,Gardzdai,Gargzdu,Garsden,Garzdai,Gargždai

from www.fallingrain.com

I find that many of the villages ending in "ew" -- as we would pronounce it -- is actually spelled with the ending "ai."

Hope this helps...

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 3:52PM GMT
Thanks guys!

This looks very promising.

Jen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic