Search for content in message boards

tips on finding people on a census?!

tips on finding people on a census?!

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 10:21PM GMT
Classification: Census
I have been looking for my great uncle George Wilson on the 1930 and 1940 Census with no luck. I know this is a common name and many records come up, however, none of them were him. I even tried using the "*" and the "?" thing. I understand that it is not uncommon to miss someone, but what are the chances of them missing him on two consecutive censuses? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Re: tips on finding people on a census?!

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 4:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Do you know of another person who may have been living in the household? Have you searched for them?

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 9:21PM GMT
I have looked for his children as well as his wife with no luck either. On the 1920 he was still with his parents so looking for a neighbor did no good either. He is not living around his siblings or his parents or her parents in the 1930s or the 1940s. It is just discouraging to look and look and still find nothing.

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 1:29AM GMT
ok- when was the last time you know he was living? Was he even alive in 1930?

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 1:11AM GMT
Yes he was alive in the 30's and in the 40's. He didn't die until 1986.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 6:54AM GMT
Edited: 8 Oct 2012 6:57AM GMT
If he was not the type of person who owned property and would be in a certain area for any length of time. It is highly likely he might not have been counted. He could be in transent when the census is being taken.

If he was in the military for a long period of time and according where he was statione. he might not be included. They do take the census in a given militery area in some cases; but that is not always true; because you can't list some military establishments in a census and if he was not counted in his home. He would miss those census.

I know someone who is in his sixties. If he was not counted when he was a young man when he was living with his parents. Then he would never show up on any census. He had a life of hopping and skipping around and didn't want to be counted in the census.

It can be 101 different reasons.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic