Search for content in message boards

1850 enumeration date

1850 enumeration date

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
I know that the official enumeration date for 1850 was 1 June 1850, BUT the census sheets I have seen for my ancestors were all dated in August, September, or October of that year. Is this a fluke with my data, or were the enumerators getting a late start consistently that year?

Re: 1850 enumeration date

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 8:48PM GMT
It depends where your ancestors lived and how remote they were from the enumerator's base of operation. It is not unusual to find population schedules taken in those months, since the Bureau of the Census reports:
"The seventh census was governed by the provisions of an act of May 23, 1850, which directed that six schedules be used to collect the information requested by the Congress. The enumeration began on June1, 1850, and was to be completed, with the results returned to the Secretary of the Interior by November 1, 1850."

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 9:19PM GMT
Thanks, Bob!
It doesn't surprise me that if Congress didn't get around to it until May 23rd, I'm not going to see the June and July dates I am accustomed to. Thanks for posting!
Jere

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 10:03PM GMT
They may have been a do-it-late Congress, but at least they were not a do-nothing Congress like the current session. They got into every little detail of the census.

See the following:
http://www.census.gov/history/pdf/1850_Census_Act.pdf
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions