Search for content in message boards

Urban, Gudinas - from Lithuania to Connecticut

Urban, Gudinas - from Lithuania to Connecticut

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 5:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Urban, Urbanas, Gudinas
My father, Anthony Urban, was born in New Haven, CT in 1911 as Anthony Urbanas. His father Anthony (Antan) Urbanas came over from Lithuania and was born abt 1884. I am trying to find out what town in Lithuania he was from. My father's mother, also from Lithuania, was named Anna Gudinas before marrying. They settled in the Fairfield and New Haven area and have some ties to New Britain, CT. They divorced after a few years of marriage. On my father's birth certificate the region of his parents' Lithuanian origin appears to be Suwalkaii.

Any help appreciated. Any relatives out there?

from Lori Urban Noonan

Re: Urban, Gudinas - from Lithuania to Connecticut

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 1:09AM GMT
Suwalki/Suvalkija was one of the Russian provinces (called a gubernia in Russian) that Lithuania was divided into. It is the area of Lithuania west and south of the Nemunas/Nieman River.

It was the Gudinas family in New Britain that sponsored my father as a refugee in 1949.

Tom S.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 1:09AM GMT
Suwalki/Suvalkija was one of the Russian provinces (called a gubernia in Russian) that Lithuania was divided into. It is the area of Lithuania west and south of the Nemunas/Nieman River.

It was the Gudinas family in New Britain that sponsored my father as a refugee in 1949.

Tom S.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 3:50PM GMT
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful. I knew we were somehow related to families in New Britain, CT. My older sisters went to gatherings there in their younger years before I was born. I assumed it was on the Urban side, but now I think it was the Gudinas side of the family, based on your comment. Was your father in the household of Peter and Anna Gudinas? Were they all from Suwalki? Peter is likely related to my grandmother (my father's mother)...her brother or cousin perhaps.
Thanks again. Lori

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 7:32PM GMT
Lori,

When my father was in a displaced persons (DP) camp in Germany, he recieved a coat donated by Lithuanian Americans. In one of the pockets was a note from Mrs. Ona Gudinas. He wrote back to her thanking her for the coat. She later helped in getting one of her neighbors to sponsor my father as a refugee and enable him to emigrate to the U.S.

Here is what I have on the Gudnias family in New Britain:

found letter in jacket sent by Anna & Peter J. Gudinas, who lived at 100 Seymour Street, NB
12 Sep 1918 WW I Draft Card Petras Gudinas resides at 47 Hartford Ave NB - born Russia Lithuania on 4 October 1877 - wife Ona

1922 NB City Directory Peter Gudinas resides at 47 Hartford Avenue, NB
1936 NB City Directory - Peter Gudinas & Anna - 96 Seymour Street - elevator operator LF&C - Katherine T. Gudinas also resides there
Anna - died 12 October 1967, age 76 Peter J. - died 18 February 1964, age 78 Sorry I don't have more for you.

Tom S.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 1:52AM GMT
Tom,

I appreciate you sharing the story of the coat and the help for your father coming to America. It was very touching.

I did see the records you described this morning when I looked for them. I also believe I found Peter's passenger records. Suwalki is listed as his last place of residence and the birth year and immigration year fit closely to the other documents.

I wish you well and thank you,
Lori
per page

Find a board about a specific topic