Search for content in message boards

Tucks

Posted: 18 Mar 2002 4:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jul 2002 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: Tuck,Chronister,Taylor,Sanders,Wilkinson
Just wanted all to know that my e-mail has changed to bhathaway11@cox.net. I have extensive information on the Tucks and am willing to share. I currently have over 7000 names in my data base. I'm still looking to add more as I get information. Anyone wishing information can contact me and I will check my records to see if there is a connection.
Barbara Hathaway

Re: Tucks

Posted: 10 Jul 2002 8:33PM GMT
HI,
i AM LOOKING FOR A MAN CALLED CHARLES HENRY TUCK WHO LIVED IN BUDE IN CORNWALL. ALL I KNOW IS IF HE IS ALIVE HE WOULD BE BETWEEN 80-90 AND THAT HE HAD A SISTER. I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD LOOK IN YOUR NOTES AND SEE IF YOU HAVE HIM
THANKS,
JANET.
Posted: 10 Jul 2002 11:09PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jul 2002 3:09AM GMT
I only have 2 Charles Tucks listed with birthdates unknown. I doubt either is the one you are looking for because the Tucks I have information about came mostly out of Aletha Macon's book and they lived mostly in Halifax County, Virginia. Some of the Halifax Tucks moved away to other places so I have a lot of them listed as well. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Barbara

Posted: 23 Aug 2002 6:01PM GMT
Surnames: Tuck
I'm looking for info on the wife of Edward Tuck,who was born in Halifax, VA abt. 1732. Edward's father was Bennett Tuck, born in England, and his mother was Hannah Cary.
There is a possiblity that Edward's wife was a Native American.
I would also appreciate any info you may have on Edward's son, Moses Tuck and his wife, Mary Polly Black.

John B. Parkerson (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2002 1:20AM GMT
What documentation do you have as to the names of Edward Tuck's (b. ~1732) wife and mother?

Marian (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2002 2:07AM GMT
I only have: Spouse: Mrs. Edward Tuck b. abt 1739 in Halifax, VA
and parents: Bennett Tuck b. 1710 England & Hannah Cary bo. 1711 Eingland.
Here is some information that was sent to me some time ago. It is not proved.
Notes for Edward Tuck # 6118 , son of Bennett Tuck

Read letters typed to Thomas Tuck #6119.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
BIOGRAPHY: From time to time during the past four centuries membersof the Tuck family have emigrated from Enland and became citizens of theUnited States. Some of the pregenitors of the present Tuck family areknown to have come over in the Mayflower, and according to traditionthere were three brothers who located in Virginia before the days of theRevolution, one of the, John Tuck, was a surveyor and he surveyed for anumber of years in Virginia and Pennsylvania, and for his work was paidin quarter sections of land, and thus became an extensive land owner ofrich virgin soil.
His son, also named John, who was the father of the writer'sgreat-grand father, Cary Tuck, was also a surveyor and large plantationowner in Virginia. Upon John Tuck's death his son, Cary, mentionedabove, fell heir to vast amount of land, although upon his father'sdeath he was bound out, as was the custom to do with young boys in thosedays. His was a hard master, and in order to stand the beatings he got,made a heavy sheepskin vest which he wore continuously. He became quitewell-to-do and married Nancy Stanley. He was a man of generous impulsesand free hospitality. he is known to have kept a jug of corn whiskey andone day after imbibing of the same rather too generously went securietyfor a friend, which he had to pay, and was thereby broken up. Soonafterwards he moved from his old home in Halifax County with his wife andchildren to the vicinity of Old Union, Blount County, Tennessee in 1817,making the trip on two ponies, carrying their scanty household effectswith them. After remaining there for eighteen years, Cary Tuck movedwith part of his family to Lincoln County, Missouri, in 1835, where hisdeath occurred on February 19, 1836. His widow survived him untilDecember 15, 1855. His family consisted of the following children:Thomas, born 1791; John 1792p George 1795; Cary 1797; Joseph, grandfatherof the writer, July 4, 1800; Jane 1802; William 1804; Hiram 1807; Nancy1809; Edward 1812; Martha 1824; Nancy Ann 1833.

BIOGRAPHY: When the family moved to Missouri, George remained inVirginia, Thomas came to christian County, Kentucky, while some of themlater settled in Boone County, MO. Johns served as a soldier through theWar of 1812, and served as a soldier through the war of 1812. He died of"Camp Fever" a few days after reaching home.

BIOGRAPHY: Numerous descendants of the branch of the family thatsettled in Halifax County still live there, among them being William M.Tuck, a lawyer of South Boston, who was elected governor of Virginia in1945.

BIOGRAPHY: It was in that vicinity that Joseph Tuck, the writer'sgrandfather, was born and spent his boyhood, received a limited schoolingand assisted with the general duties about the plantation, until he wasseventeen years old when he moved with the family to Blount County,Tennessee.

BIOGRAPHY: On January 13, 1825, he married Elizabeth Bond, who wasborn October 9, 1809, in Blount County, Tennessee, the daughter of Henryand Charlotte Bond, the former born April 1, 1782 and the latter bornDecember 5, 1791. Henry Bond's death occurred on July 8, 1855. Hisancestors were of English descent, as were also the Stanleys. The Bondslived principally in Blount County, Tennessee. This is in the mountainsnear the border of North Carolina.

Elizabeth Bond was known as a light-hearted girl in her youth,fond of dancing and amusements, a type of the old-fashioned Colonialgirl. But in later life she was very religiously sedate. Before hismarriage Joseph Tuck went to near Corydon, Indiana, then the Capital ofthe State, and during a session of the legislature, hauled fire-wood onewinter to be used at the statehouse while the legislature was in session.Remaining there nearly two years he returned to Tennessee.
Not long after that, about 1835, he moved to McMinn County,Tennessee. locating near Athens, where he remained nearly two years,then emigrated to Polk County, Missouri, locating two miles west of wherethe village of Brighton now stands, twenty miles north of Springfield.he was among the first settlers arriving there on Christmas Day, 1837,after an overland trip which required four weeks made in an old-styleFour-horse wagon.

BIOGRAPHY: Crossing the Mississippi river at Green's Ferry belowSt. Louis, the roads were rough and in many places the progress was slow,but the trip was in the main, uneventful. Although this country wasapparently sparsly settled, the people were of good Virginia andTennessee stock. The Indians had just left this section. In a shorttime Joseph Tuck purchased over three hundred acres of partly improvedland of John Williams, and there spent the rest of his life becoming wellestablished and developing a fine farm.

BIOGRAPHY: He was ranked as one of the leading men in hiscommunity, manifesting considerable interest in public and politicalaffairs, He made the race twice for sheriff of his county on theDemocratic ticket, being beaten once by only two votes. he was justiceof the
peace for many years. he was always handy with tools and made nearlyeverything he used on the farm, also made shoes for his family.

BIOGRAPHY: In the days of the forty-niners when the rush for thegold fields of California was on, he fitted out a number of "ParairieSchooners". He was not much of a hunter, although game was abundant whenhe first settled here. He could stand in his doorway and count herds ofdeer on the surrounding hills. There was also an abundance of wildturkey, prairie chickens, and much small game, and in some parts of thecounty elk and bear were still found. The vast stretches of largehardwood forests were open. There was scarcely any underbrush, and onthe prairie glades, wild grass grew in abundant luxuriousness, so thatlive stock was easily raised. Cattle and horses were turned out on theprairie and hogs fattened on acorns.

BIOGRAPHY: Joseph Tuck was a well read man and kept abreast of thetimes remarkably well for one who lived on the frontier of civilzation,so far remote from large cities or railroads. He had a good library ofchoice literature, carefully selected. He delighted especially to readabout Washington and his generals, and the early statesmen and history ofAmerica. He was deeply religious and read the Bible through perhaps ascore of times. He was a member of the Methodist Church nearly all hismature life, and died in that faith on May 25, 1887. Like most of hisfamily he reached an advanced age, but not so old as others of the namewho passed the nintieth milestone. His brother, William, being in his98th year at his death. The wife of Joseph Tuck died August 18, 1891,ag4e 82.

BIOGRAPHY: Ten children were born to Joseph Tuck and wife, namely:
Phile, who went to California crossing the plains with the gold seekersin the early fifties. And there, spent the rest of his life on a ranch inMendocino County. He died about 1905. Edward Cary, father of thewriter; Henry who was a soldier in the Confederate Army, was killed atthe battle of Helena, Arkansas. July 4, 1863; Hiram Newton, who was alsoa soldier in the Confederate Army, located in Sherman, Texas in 1869,where he spent the rest of his life. He died April 19,1911. GeorgeLeander, located on a farm near the old homestead, where he died Oct. 17,1920. He was a lieutenant in the Union Army during the Civil War.Elizabeth, was married to James L. Mitchell, spent her life at Brightondying there in 1929. Merinda, who married Charles Robertson, lived themajor part of her life on a farm near Brighton, and died in Springfield,Missouri on Feb, 00, 1904. Orlena married Alvus Ruyle and died in earlylife, about 1849. Ann N. was married to Addison Lowe and died atBrighton in Aug. 1914, at age 83. She had a remarkable memory andrelated many interesting reminiscences of her childhood life in easternTennessee. Remembering the Indians who came to her father's home totrade various household articles. She also recalled many incidents ofthe long overland trip when the family moved to MO. Joseph Benjamin, whowas the youngest member of the family, spent his life on the oldhomestead and died there April, 1904.

BIOGRAPHY: Edward Cary Tuck, father of the writer, was born Dec. 26,1835, five miles east of Athens, McMinn county, Tennessee. and wastherefore two years old when his parents brought him to Polk County, MO.He grew to maturity on the home farm, attended the old log school housenear there, obtaining such education as was possible in those pioneerdays. On November 27, 1859, he was married to Mary Jane Mitchell, whowas born on a farm joining the present town of Morrisville on thenorthwest, and spent her life in that locality.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
VIRGINIA TAX PAYERS 1782 TO 1787: other than those published by theUnited States Census Bureau: by Augusta B. Fothergill and John MarkNaugle--1940.

Name: Poll: Slave: County:

TUCK, Bennett 1 - K. Wm.
Cary 1 1 K. Wm.
Jack 1 - K. Wm.
Joseph 1 - K. Wm.
-------------------------------------------------------------------Information from Ancestry.com
Canadian Immigrant Records: Part One
Person # 1 Person # 2
Surname: TUCK TUCK
Given Name: Thomas Thomas
Year of Record: 1885 1886
Source or Event: Passenger List Port of Halifax Passenger List Port of Halifax
Reference: National Archives of National Archives of
Canada Canada
microfilm Reel No. C-4512 pg 4. microfilm Reel No. C-4513 page 4.
Other: ----------- ---------------
Comments: Arrived on the "Sardinian" "Arrived on the "Sardinian.
MFP ID #: 13259 13260
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- Original Message -----
To: mfpedersen@msn.com
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2001 8:56 PM
Subject: Tuck Family

Your Edward Tuck was the brother of John Tuck in the title of the book I referred to. Miss Macon did not list any marriages or progeny of George Tuck b 3 May 1795; however, if you can get a copy, you will find it a handy reference.

Have you published your family history? I haven't, but have just about all of my data, including that in the Macon book on my Family Tree Maker software. Perhaps we could exchange computer files.

Looking forward to hearing from you again as genealogy is my favorite hobby next to golf.

John Parkerson
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- Original Message -----
To: <CaryTuckGen@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 4:23 PM
Subject: [CaryTuckGen] Cary Tuck's father's will

> Cary Tuck's father left him 185 acres in Halifax Co. VA. Does anyone
> know what happened to the land when Cary moved with his family to
> Blount Co TN? Had Cary acquired any other land in VA in the
> meantime? Did he sell the land? I would be curious to find out more
> about his land and personal property and what happened to it as he
> moved from VA to TN to MO.
>
> Does anyone know what motivated him to move?
>
> Also who was the "Patty Ashlock and children" mentioned in Cary's
> father's will? How long did she live with the Tucks at their "home
> and plantation"?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
> Elizabeth Tuck
> Evansville IN
>
> ( P.S.: I'm not sure my introduction was ever posted to the list. I
> have been having trouble getting signed on the last couple of days. -
> I am a Tuck by marriage and my husband's line is through Cary's son
> William. I can post details if anyone wants them, but I'm not sure
> anyone is working on that line.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Kathy Waddell (I don't have her email address...only has her name in the area..mfp)
To: mfpedersen@msn.com
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2001
Subject: Question

Hi Marian,
I have a quetion on Cary and Nancy's childre. Do I have a wrong birthdate for Nancy? I show she was born in 1771. I have Family Treemaker and when I put in Edward Tuck's birthdate of 1812, it questioned me as Nancy would have been 41 years old. I put it in anyway cuz that's not uncommon. But then you have two additional children, Martha b. 1824 and Nancy Ann 1833. Well, Nancy would have been 53 and 62 when she had the last two. Any thoughts? Was she just one helluva woman?

Thank you so much for all the information you have put into GenForum. I'm using a lot of it ( with you as source) and am right now hung up on this branch of the family, hungering for more and more.

My gr-aunt, Nova Lutie Hughes married John William "Manch" Tuck(Jun 6, 1856-May 10, 1941) on April 4, 1894 in Elkmont, Limestone County, Alabama.
He was the son of John William Tuck (Jan 11, 1829-Feb 19 1881) and Louisa Jane Dedman (July 12 1834 -March 15, 1918.
He was the son of John Tuck Jr. (Mar 23, 1781-c1860) and Mary Bragg Fletcher 1794 -aft 1860).
Who was the son of John Tuck Sr. (c 1735-Aug 10, 1801) and Mary Powell (Aug 12, 1733-23-May 1828).
And he was the son of Bennett and Hannah Cary Tuck.

I have been corresponding with two of Nova Lutie's gr-grandsons so I am intrigued with the Tuck family! I'm glad to be "related" by marriage to the family.

Kathy Hughes Waddell
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: <TUCK-L@r4ootsweb.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 6:43 PM
Subject: [Tuck-L] Re: Ford-Winfrey-Tuck-Fite Families
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Message Board URL:
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/kITBAIB/511.21
Message Board Post:
Hi Marian,
I found the book "John and Edward Tuck of Halifax County, Virginia and some of their descendants" by Alethea Jane Macon, in the Tennessee State Library and Archives.

In the book she states: John Tuck was born about 1730 either in England or what was to become King William County in tide water Virginia. He and his brother Edward were in Halifax County in about 1750. John married Mary Powell, daughter of Edward and Elizabeth Powell, in 1757. She was born 12 August 1733, in Bristol Parish, King George County and died 23 May 1828 in Halifax County.

In a fottnote it is stated that Edward Powell of Antrim Parish, Halifax County, Virginia, on July 18, 1766 made his will, which was probated on September 16, 1773, William Powell and William Gent executors. Those named in the will were his wife, Elizabeth; his sons William, David, Mark and Luke; and his daughters Mary, wife of John Tuck,and Jane, wife of Moore Medlock.

the children of John and Mary Tuck in the order they appeared in his will were; Sarah Rakestraw, Elizabeth Jones, Edward, Mary Fletcher, Ezra, Achsah, Robert, Richard, Bennett, John, Jane Pinson, and David. He promised to lend his wife Mary the land and plantation on which he then lived.

Edward Tuck, John's brother made his will on August 14, 1780; it was recorded in May of 1781. John Tuck was the sole executor, with David Powell and Thomas Tuck as securities. His wife, whose name is not recorded had died earlier.

The children of Edward Tuck, in the order they were named in the will: Mary, Moses, Josiah, Edward, Cary, Sarah, Vashti, Tabitha and Susannah.

Thomas Tuck is listed as probably a brother of John and Edward, since his name appears in Edward's will. Thomas married Sarah. The children named in his will, which was probated on September 22, 1788, were: Thomas, John, William, Mary, Sarah, Susannah, Rebekah, Nancy and Priscilla.

I have found the names of five of Daniel and Mary Fite Ford: Joshua Jevverson "J.J." b. November 22, 1822 in Smith (now De Kalb) county; d. February 22, 1901. M. Mary E. Botts(M.=married?)
Moses b. 1828; d. 1865; m. Mary Jane (Unknown)
Mary A. b. 1830
Henry Clinton (my great grandfather)[Bill Kolbe's note] b. September 11, 1832 in Smith (now De Kalb) County; d. December 26, 1916 in Wilson County, TN; m. Eliza Winfrey b. August 9, 1838 in De Kalb County; d. March 23, 1907 in Wilcon County, abt.1855; James C. b. 1836.

I look forward to exchanging information with you.
Bill
Boards > Surnames > Tuck
URL: http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p...

Subject: Re: TUCK Origin
Author: Stephen Tuck
Date: 29 Dec 2001 5:42 PM GMT
Email: stephen.tuck@btinternet.com

Sharon,
According to an article I read, the name Tuck came about in the following way:-
According to legend the name is of Roman origin. The four oldest names in Norfolk (England) are said to be: Dack, Lack, Mack, and Tuck, from the Roman Dacius, Lacius, Macius, and Tucius.

It is believed that these four were Roman soldiers given grants of land in what is today East Anglia when the Roman legions were withdrawn from Britain about 400 A.D. at the collapse of the Roman Empire.

I can't prove the above but, it does make a nice story.

Compliments of the season.

Stephen.
-

Posted: 24 Aug 2002 4:25AM GMT
Surnames: Edward Tuck
I gather info from the web:
from jduell@aol.com in file 10511 on http://awt.ancestry.com quotes the book "John & Edward Tuck and their Descendants"

No one has brought forward any info on Edward's wife. There is a question of there is a posibility she was a Native America.

Posted: 24 Aug 2005 12:22PM GMT
Surnames: Tuck
I am looking for info on my dad's family. His name was John Wesley Tuck and he was born July 20, 1913 in VA. My mother's name was Lena Mae Johnson. His father's name was Mitchell Tuck. His mother's name was Mary Elizabeth Reebles. He had brothers named Ned, James, and Ditron. I have searched these names on the internet and have come up with nothing. I am new at this and I definitely need help. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic