Search for content in message boards

THOLE

THOLE

Barbara Walter (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query

Searching for information about three THOLE brothers and possibly other siblings who were born in Hasusette,Oldenburg, from 1799-1815. They were:Johann Otto,Johann Heinrich and Johann Theodore. They settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, around 1850, and may have left some family there and moved to Indiana and Minnesota. May also have sent for other relatives in Germany to join them in the US. Any information about these THOLES will be greatly appreciated.greatly appreciated.
Posted: 5 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2003 1:18PM GMT
NOT ABLE TO HELP, BUT MY MOTHER IS A BORN THOLE, BUT BORN IN HASELUENNE GERMANYS BETWEEN MEPPEN AND LINGEN. HER FATHER WAS JOSEF THOLE, HIS FATHER HEINRICH ANTON THOLE, HIS FATHER JOHANN BERNHARD JOSEF THOLE, HIS FATHER ANTON JOSEF OTTO TOLE, HIS FATHER JOHANN THEODOR THOLE. J. THEODOR WAS BORN IN VISBECK, ANTON JOSEPH OTTO WAS BORN IN MOLLBERGEN
i HAVE E-MAIL FROM A BARB WALTER EMAIL: BWALTER@MCS.CNZ.COM. sHE HAS A RICHARD THOLE WHOSE FATHER WAS POSSIBLY HEINRICH AND THEY LIVED IN CINCINNATI POSSIBLY AS EARLY AS 1850. THIS CORRESPONDENCE WAS IN MARCH OF 1998., SOUNDS PROMISING. LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. I AM MOST INTERESTED AND PERHAPS WE ARE RELATED.
i HAVE GONE OVER MY PAPERS AND HAVE FOUND AN IGI THAT LISTS A JOHANN THEODORE THOLE BORN IN 1805 IN HAUSTETTE. FATHER JOHANN THEODORE THOLE AND MOTHER LUCIA MARIA WEHAGE, DIED IN 19 MAY 1828, ALSO A JOHANN OTTO BORN IN 1815 TO THE SAME PARENTS IN SAME PLACE AND BORN IN 1805 AND JOHANN HEINRICH BORN SAME PARENTS IN 1808, DIED IN 1831
A FEMALE MARIA ELISABETH B. 1811 IN HAUSTETTE, MARIA GERTRUD THOLE B. 1802. HOPE THESE CAN HELP. LET ME KNOW.BETTY

THOLE

Posted: 17 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
I am the same Barbara Walter from whom you the e-mail. The family which you located on the IGI is a Cincinnati family. I believe that we may be related, but ahve not made the connection. I found another Cincinnati family, whose direct ancestor was J Heinrich Thole (also called Herman Heinrich Thole by some family members) They have a birth certificate or baptismal certificate, which shows him to the son of J. Heinrich Thole and Maria Adelhead Bucher and born in 1830. Family tradition says that this person came to America on his wedding trip (wife was Elizabeth Hueselman). Two brothers, Charles and Joseph came, either then or a little later. J. Heirich stayed in Cincinnati, and Joseph and Charles went to Evansville, IN and Kansas - but they are not sure who went where. I kow that this family is connected to mine, but do not know how. I have also found that the Richard Thole for whom I am searching was born in 1830 and died in Cincinnati in 1895. He is also listed at times as Theodore or Dietrich. His wife was Margaret Wilking (born in Germany and her parents were Ben and Thecla Vohmerding.

Does any of this sound familiar? Thanks for your interest and willingness to help.

Thole

Hank Farrar (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
I have been looking for the Thole name. My gg grandparents were WM. Henry Or Fredrick or Herman Thole. His wife was Elizabeth. He came to U.S. with two brothers the story goes. He was born in Germany abt.1816 died Belot Kansas abt.1879 She died 1899 San Jose Ca. They had three sons Frank,Henry Joeph and steven all born Quincy Ill. Frank born 23 Oct. 1855 I can find no record for any of these births.

Thole

Nancy (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Thole, Hermes, Voshoeller, Schoo
I admit, I'm jealous! All three of you sound like your Thole's should merge somewhere. I'm posting this in the hopes that my Thole's may be a 'loose end' you've found in your research.

The Thole I'm searching for is Heinrich Thole, b. 11-24-1832 in the Lingen or Biene area. He married Mary Suzanna Hermes, b. circa 1834. They had seven children. Five of those children are: Agnes, Benjamin/Bernard, Henry, Gerhard/George, Clemens/Clements. The family immigrated to Madison and Clinton County, Illinois (on the border of the two counties) in 1884/1885.

Hank and Barbara, I think we may have exchanged an e-mail or two...

Thole

Nancy (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
What I find interesting is the common "three brothers" story. My Dad tells a story of three Thole brothers - he's always believed the brothers to be his grandfather and two brothers (names given before).

The story goes that the three brothers were given a choice: wait a week and go by steam ship, or leave earlier by sail ship. They chose the sail ship. About two weeks out to sea, they saw the steam ship pass them!

I have a hunch that 'my' Thole's came to Clinton County, IL, because there was other family here, but I'm not sure what that family connection is.

How do you pronounce the surname? We've always pronounced it (Toe-lee). Thole is my maiden name.

Thole Family

Posted: 4 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: THOLE
I have found three other Thole researchers besides those of us who have queries posted at this site. Some of us know that our families are connected, but not the exact relationship. We do not know where in Europe our Tholes originated. The common thread is that they were in Cincinnati around 1850-1860. Family tradition says that some of them moved on to Evansville, IN and MO, and some remained in Cincinnati. The names you gave me don't fit with the information I have at this point, but maybe I'll find something which will tie these various branches together.

Thole

Posted: 5 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
We too pronounce THOLE as you do. However, the Thole branch to whom I have made a connection pronounces it to rhyme with hole. My g-grandmother was a Thole. In her father's marriage record the name was spelled Toelle, but that may be how the recorder spelled it, because it sounded that way.

The three bothers story in the Thole family that I know, says that Johann Heinrich and his wife came on their wedding trip. The other two may have followed, or already have been here. We aren't sure. Stay in touch. We may have a connection somewhere.

Thole Family

Posted: 5 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
I went back and read my original posting, which I thought was correct. The more recent information regarding the Thole bothers' names and unknown origins is correct. There was a Joahnn Otto who came to Cincinnati, and had some siblings who came too. He was definitely born in Hausette, but at this time there is no established relationship with him that any of the rest of the Thole researchers I know can find. Hope that I havaen't confused you.

Thole

Nancy (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: THOLE, HERMES, BOENHOFF, WELLEN, REHKEMPER, PEEK, VOSHOELLER, STEINMANN
Since posting that original message, I've discovered that Dad's 3 Thole Brother story was most likely not his grandfather. Maybe his great-grandfather? I still believe that Dad's ancestors came over to meet up with family somewhere in Madison or Clinton County, IL.

Dad's Grandfather was Gerhard Thole, the 5th of 6 children to Heinrich Thole and Mary Suzanna Hermes. The family of 8 came to the States circa 1884.

Does that shake anything loose for anyone?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic