Search for content in message boards

Olsens from Mandal

Olsens from Mandal

Posted: 14 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Oct 2001 12:39PM GMT
Surnames: Olsen, Abildnes, Lundewold, Turnheim
I am looking for decendants of Ole Christiansen Abildnes (1846-1932) and Elan Gurine Eliasen Abildnes (1847-1935). Ole was from Mandal, Elan from Lyngdal, Norway. They had 8 sons and 1 daughter. One son, Kristian, married Julia Carlson from Sweden in the US and they were my great-grandparents.

Olsen from Mandal

Posted: 11 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2001 12:39PM GMT
Sorry, but there doesn't seem to be a connection. My Olsen family came from Vest Agder County, Lygdal parish. Local history books should have information on your Olsen. There is a gentleman who monitors this website who is very knowledgable and has been extremely helpful to me to help find my family information in Vest Agder County. His name is Harald Storaker. He is a good samaratan who has come to the aid of many people seeking information. Without his kindness, I could never have figured out the digital archives. Good luck on your search.

Mandal Olsens

Gogan (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Olsen
Did you ever find out more?

Does this info sound familiar:
I have a Seran/Serine Olsen from Mandal, Norway who settled in Springhill, Nova Scotia, Canada around the 1890s. He married a Sarah Lockhart.

His mother in Mandal may have been named Serena Alexandra .....

I am looking for links to this family in Norway.

Olsen from Mandal

Posted: 13 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 4:57PM GMT
Thank you for nice words! With such a recommandation the samaritan has got to make a try!

I do this online, tracing names in the online censuses, making a lot of guesses about how names and places were spelled. (- much more fun than puzzles og cross-words)

This one is difficult to do solve online, because he probably is born after the 1865 census, and emmigrates before the 1900 census. The only help is the emmigrant lists of Kristiansand port.

The best candidate there is Severin Olsen, born 1867, from Mandal, who emmigrates in 1883, an unmarried sailor.

Another possible candidate is Søren Olsen, also born 1867, from Mandal, who emmigrates in 1892, heading for Philadelphia. He is a coachman's boy.

There is no bygdebok for Mandal town. One way to do further research is to do lookup in the church records at Statsarkivet in Kristiansand. - If you not are able to get any more information about parents or other relatives.

Re: Olsen from Mandal

Posted: 3 May 2008 6:05PM GMT
Thank you for this info -- I somehow missed your message and only found it today (7 yrs later)! I will print this info off and keep it in mind.

Another glitch is that according to my family's lore, my Seran Olsen stowed away in the ship on the way over the Atlantic! Whether true or not I am not sure, but if so that would make tracing him though emigrant lists impossible.

I know he was in Springhill, N.S., Canada, by 1901 for sure because he is in the census here, married, and with children.

Oh well, Maybe those church records will help.

Posted: 4 May 2008 6:55AM GMT
Hello again!
Have you any more information. Age? Name of children?

Re: Olsens from Mandal

Posted: 7 May 2008 3:48PM GMT
Surnames: larsen\hansen from skaga norway
iam sorry , about not have infor. on this family tree

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 7:23PM GMT
Seren Olsen was my great great grandfather !!
on his Death certificate, his name is spelled "Seren Olsen". but on his marriage certificate his name is spelled "Seran Olson". and on Seren Alexander Olsen birth certificate (one of his son's)both the father and son's name are spelled "Siren" and on Inga May Wood (Olsen)(one of his daughter's) marriage certificate his name is spelled "Sarene" Olsen. a lot of mis-spelling of his name over the years.
also on his death certificate it states he was in the Province of Nova Scotia for a period of 38 years, he died at the age of 64, meaning he came from Norway around 1892 or so.
there was a post made by a man stating he could be one of two choices......
In my opinion, I think it's Soren Olsen, who came over in 1890 as a coachman's boy, and I think he jumped ship when they stopped in Nova Scotia, to try and start a new life.
I have a old picture of his wife Sarah Olsen (Lockhart).
On there marriage certificate it states Seren's father as "Ola" but doesn't say who his mother was....
if anyone has found out any "new" info on Seren, it would be most helpful......
Danny Wood

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 8:23PM GMT
We're related. I am descended from his son Ralph. I have a photo of Sarah, an amateur painting of Seren, a medical book of Sarah's...she was a midwife, and the family bible (no info in it, just a lock of a child's blonde hair). Yes, the father was Ole because of the name Olsen (son of Ole), but Ole's last name was whatever his father's name was with the 'son' ending. I was told the mother was Serena Alexandra but I do not know for sure.

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 9:26PM GMT
Yes, the 1892 reference is likely. I never found him in the 1891 census but he's in the 1901 census. I also think I have an obit for one or both of them....need to double check. My great grandfather Ralph Ashbrook Olsen lived in his father's house all his life. He lived into his 90s. He died maybe a decade ago so some items from Sarah and Seren were still in the house.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic