Grover D Bond (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2002 2:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Mar 2002 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Hillman
Jessee Davis b May 13 1812 in Surrey NC. d May 25 1948
in Hancock Ind. m Mary "Polly" Hillman on Sept 18 1846
in Scott Co. VA.

iam researching these lines, which i have some of the Davis information.before intering it to my file. I would like to compare it with other Davis researchers. And add to it from other close up Davis Researchers working on their family lines.

Thanks [ Streak] Streak007@earthlink.net

Re: Davis Family Lines

Posted: 24 Mar 2002 2:41PM GMT
Edited: 25 Mar 2003 9:19AM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, LAWSON, STALLARD, HILLMAN, RITCHIE, ERWIN, ADKINS, MILLER, FULTZ, FANNIN
Cousin Grover:

Glad you're enjoying the CD, but you really should keep in touch for all the updates. The attached mini-listing should help provide some valuable clues to this and other postings you've recently made on the board. Notably you should check out Martha Davis, a daugther of Jesse that was omitted in The Stallard Connection listing. I've recently been in contact with a descendant of Martha Davis (not Stallard) and William Lawson who has death certificates from several of William and Martha's issue. Further, Jesse spent some of his last days with William and Martha.

Note also that this listing isn't perfect. Note the two occurances of Henry Lawson. I tend to have more faith in the researcher who provided the info on Henry T b:Oct 1835 and his three wives...except for the date of Henry's birth. 1846 seems feasible, but Oct 1835 is a bit too young for mother Martha. All the issue except "Bendy" could be reconciled with his family produced with the help of Mary M Henderson. I've found no other evidence of Ethel Stone (ET). Further the info on Betty Davis was provided by another Lawson researcher and I have no further proof of her. However, she is four years older than Martha and could have produced the elder Henry. Interesting that her surname is Davis, same as Martha's. Generally, Betty is a nick for Elizabeth, but Martha's sister Elizabeth m:uncle Green Stallard and I know he outlived her. Could Elizabeth "Betty" and William have had Henry T prior to William and Martha getting together? With these caveats, perhaps the listing below will assist with your research. If you want the additional 200+ pages of lineage and/or a GED, email me, otherwise, happy typing.

One additional note on The House of David comments embedded within the following listing. Cousin Hubert Valley Crawford, who left us 31 Jan 2002, produced a doctorate thesis on The House of David which should be on file at Morehead State University. I would dearly love to obtain a copy of this. If anyone is in the Rowan Co vicinity and would consider obtaining a copy of this document, I would be happy to pay for copy and mailing cost. Please email me regarding this potential project, if interested.

Modified Register for Jesse DAVIS

First Generation

1. Jesse DAVIS 1 was born about 1784 in Amherst Co, VA.

He had the following children:

2 M i. William DAVIS 2 was born in 1804 in , , Virginia.

+ 3 M ii. Jessee DAVIS was born on 13 May 1812. He died on 25 May 1848.

+ 4 M iii. David DAVIS was born on 26 Sep 1815. He died in Feb 1898.

5 M iv. James W DAVIS 3 was born in 1819 in , , Virginia.

+ 6 M v. Belfield DAVIS was born on 15 Jan 1817. He died on 17 Jul 1907.

+ 7 F vi. Elizabeth DAVIS was born in 1822. She died before 1880.

8 M vii. Jefferson DAVIS 4 was born in 1823 in , Grayson, Virginia.

+ 9 F viii. Martha DAVIS was born about 1827. She died in 1867.

+ 10 F ix. Winnod "Winney" DAVIS was born on 1 Mar 1829. She died on 27 Jun 1900.

+ 11 M x. Reverend Robert Thompson DAVIS was born on 23 Mar 1832. He died after 1903.

+ 12 M xi. Henry Oliver DAVIS was born on 4 Sep 1835. He died on 8 Apr 1915.

Second Generation

3. Jessee DAVIS 5 (Jesse) was born on 13 May 1812 in , Surrey, Nc. He died on 25 May 1848 in Hancock Co Ind.

Jessee married Mary "Polly" HILLMAN daughter of Thomas HILLMAN and Sarah RITCHIE on 18 Sep 1846 in Scott Co, VA. Mary was born in 1828 in VA.

They had the following children:

13 M i. John Quincy Adams DAVIS was born calculated 1851 in Scott Co, VA. He died in 1929.

From the 1880 Carter County census, Precinct #2:

116 Davis, John Q A W M 29 Violin/Dulcimer V V V
Lucy E W F 29 Wife maker V V V
Henry M W M 8 Son V V V
James P W M 4 Son V V V
Jessie M W M 1 Son K V V

John married (1) Lucy E POWERS daughter of Henry POWERS and Matilda on 11 Jan 1870 in Wise Co, VA . Lucy was born in 1851 in VA.
John married (2) Martha POWERS .
John married (3) Margaret J "Aunt Marg" ERWIN daughter of Oscar L

ERWIN and Sophia JONES. Margaret was born on 26 Jul 1869 in Carter Co.,KY. She died on 16 Jul 1952 in Kings Daughters MC, Ashland, Boyd, KY.

14 M ii. Robert P DAVIS was born in 1853 in VA.
Robert married Martha J ADKINS daughter of Wilson ADKINS and Stacia HILL on 2 Jan 1902 in Wise Co, VA . Martha was born in 1855 in VA.

15 F iii. Mary L DAVIS was born in 1855 in Russell Co, VA.
Mary married Raleigh Henderson STALLARD 6 son of Duncan Allen STALLARD and Elizabeth ADDINGTON on 2 May 1873. Raleigh was born on 8 May 1849 in Russell Co, VA. He died on 18 Nov 1894.

16 F iv. Martha Ann "Anna" DAVIS was born on 20 Apr 1857 in Wise Co, VA .
Martha married Jacob RUSSELL son of Absalom Adam RUSSELL and Mary "Polly" YATES on 2 Oct 1873 in Wise Co, VA .

17 F v. Nancy Ellen DAVIS was born on 1 Mar 1859 in Wise Co, VA.
Nancy married Alexander RUSSELL son of Absalom Adam RUSSELL and Mary "Polly" YATES on 24 Jan 1878 in Wise Co, VA.

18 F vi. L V DAVIS .
L V DAVIS married F M ADKINS on 17 Jan 1910 in Wise Co, VA .

4. David DAVIS 7 (Jesse) was born on 26 Sep 1815 in Scott Co, VA. He died in Feb 1898 in Carter Co, KY.

David married (1) Alice KILGORE 8,9,10,11 daughter of Hiram KILGORE and Rebecca RENFRO on 25 Jan 1840 in , Greenbrier, Virginia. Alice was born on 30 Dec 1819 in , Scott, Va. She died in Feb 1898 in Carter Co, KY.

19 F i. Malissa Jane DAVIS was born on 20 Feb 1840 in Scott Co, VA. She died on 15 Mar 1934 in Carter Co, KY.
Malissa married Elverton Walker UNDERWOOD son of George Washington UNDERWOOD and Margaret WALKER on 1 Aug 1860 in Carter Co., KY. Elverton was born about 1835 in Nicholas Co, WV.

A version of the Hatfield-McCoy feud took place in the westernmost section of
Carter County and extended over into Lewis and Rowan counties. Called the
Underwood War, it pitted the Underwoods against the Holbrooks and Stampers, and
though the latter group followed its vow to pluck out the Underwoods, root and branch,
everyone at the time came out losers. There were many versions of the War printed in
the local newspapers at the time. The Portsmouth Times of the day reported the
following:

Writing from this distance, with only the colored stories of the friends of each clan to
guide us, it is difficult to form a clear opinion as to which of the two warring families was
to blame... Throughout all the years the Holbrooks and Underwoods have been
committing murder the Holbrooks were as handy with the deadly weapons as the
Underwoods...

In 1877, Boyd Countians read the following about the continuing feud:

Viewed in light of recent events, the neighboring county of Carter is highly
suggestive to the uninitiated of general anarchy and confusion, a place where snakes
stalk rampant and Underwoods and Stampers meet in deadly battle three times as day.

Pieced together here is a generally-accepted version of the War, following reports

in contemporary newspapers, a compilation by Coates, and modern explorations by
Ronald Burchett and Charles J. Pelfrey:

George Underwood, Virginian by birth, came to the upper reaches of Tygarts Creek
about 1847, bringing with him his wife and four sons, Alfred, Jesse, Elvin, and George
Lewis. Old George, born in 1810, was six feet tall, rawboned, squareshouldered, and
inclined to be in fights at election time --a common practice. He was a Whig, a Union
man, and a Republican, and those political attachments may have been more
responsible for the friction than anything else.
The roots of the fight may have been planted before he arrived, for John Stamper and
George Penland were in a court suit as early as 1845. But the ultimate sin of the
Underwoods, or for which they were blamed, was one which they learned and practiced
with vigor during the Civil War--the taking of horses. Alfred led a raid on Maysville
during the war, pillaging residences and stores of Southern sympathizers while a
provost guard (Union) looked the other way.
George had a strong reputation himself and made the newspaper often. In 1872,
Big Sandy Herald reported him active at a meeting of Radicals (Republicans). Prior to
that time, apparently, he had been wounded in Olive Hill by one of the Tyree boys. That
family apparently held a tenuous relationship with the Underwoods, for Zachariah Tyree
had early land suits with George but appeared on the political stump with him after the
shooting. In 1874, the Herald said Alfred and Jesse, "two notorious outlaws who have
probably stolen more in Kentucky than any other ten thieves, have stolen horses in
Kansas and gone in the direction of the Indian Territory." These hints at local reputation
come from an opposition paper, give a look at how the Underwoods were viewed by
their contemporary foes five years before the great battles.
George had a nephew by marriage, John Richards Tabor, a card player. With help
from his uncle, he rented a small farm nearby in conjunction with John Martin. In 1877
those two were accused of horse-taking. Soon afterward one of the Stampers missed a
horse he prized and blamed it on one of the Pendlums, who was then killed from
ambush. On his way to the wake, George, too, was ambushed and shot eight times, but
escaped. He lost one eye and was crippled for life. Later that day, apparently, the
same shooters called George Lewis Underwood from his home and shot him as he
appeared unarmed in the doorway of his cabin. He would lay abed for two years.
Claib Jones sided with the Underwoods, saying he was called there by Dr. John
Steele to tend Lewis. "The Stamper party sent word they would burn my house and kill
my children; I sent back word if they had no houses they could talk about burning mine...
When our men went out and came back, our password was 'another crow has fallen'. It
went on and one morning seven crows were killed before breakfast." (Author's note:
the figure is unsubstantiated.)
After that, old George healed, Tabor ran away, and Elvin joined the fight, with help
from Martin. Those two took to the bush with intent of vengeance and quickly two from
the other side were killed from ambush. Both had boasted of killing a Pendlum. Elvin
made no concealment of his involvement in the latest assassinations. Matters became
so raw Gov. McCreary sent weapons, equipping J.N. Stewart and 40 local guardsmen
and telling them to keep order. The guns were kept in a room in the courthouse at
Grayson.
Now Jesse came back from Iowa, where he had gone to avoid arrest over
horsestealing charges in Kentucky and Kansas. Before he left, he had been shot by
one of the Holbrook sons. With force, he arranged a sort of peace, then started back
westward by wagon. His family was overtaken in Lewis County, where the band tried to
kill him, but he got one of them, a man named Ruggles. Jesse was wounded and
returned to Grayson, charged with murder, but was later acquitted because the make-
shift posse had either incorrect authorization or insufficient identification.

Martin withdrew from the neighborhood and Elvin tried to go back to farming, but it
was too late. He was shot down in the presence of his two daughters (grand daughters
of David Davis and Allice Kilgore pictured above) who were dropping seed corn ahead
of his planting. There were sporadic minor shootings for two months, and then on
August 22, 1879, George Lewis Underwood died of his two-year-old wounds. It was
breaking the point in the feud.
Within days Squire Holbrook was shot down in his own yard and Jesse was
credited, along with Claiborne Jones, with the shooting. Then all hell fell on the
Underwoods. William died of a gunblast through a window as he ate supper in his
Rowan County home. George turned his back when friends told him to get out of
Kentucky and on October 9, as he went outside his fortress home to pick up firewood,
his enemies waited until his arms were loaded and then shot him near the door. Tough
old George was helped inside by the womenfolk, and word went out he was abed. A
week later, Jesse went to Fort Underwood to see about his father, but was cut down as
he passed through the dog-trot between house and kitchen. The women kept pouring
water on him to keep him alive, but he died that evening (Oct. 16).

Two explicit newspaper accounts tell of this time of horror. The first comes from the
Iron Register quoting the Greenup Independent:

George; Mrs. Parish, his sister-in-law; Jane, his daughter; Elva's Mary (remember
Mary and her sister saw their father, Elvin murdered in the cornfield) and Mrs. Edna
Griffith were in the house. The women folks had been sitting up with Jesse's corpse,
waiting anxiously for help and protection from the county authorities whom they had
prayed for it.
Jesse's body was rotting and filling with stench the home of his father, whose own
body was commencing to decay; the atmosphere inhaled by the children and wives was
poisoned by the fearful vapors arising from the beloved ones.
It was ten o'clock at night Sunday evening when suddenly from 25 to 30 men with
blackened faces surrounded the house demanding admission in order to search for
Claib Jones and John Martin, and assuring George that neither he nor any of the
women folks should be hurt. The door was then opened. Fifteen of them entered, two of
them with cocked guns which they
kept ready for service while they stayed. George was sitting on the side of this bed.
The talk was about the incidents of the Underwood War and the men stayed nearly
an hour. They uncovered Jesse's corpse and making jokes about the unfortunate dead,
they laughed rudely and coarsely. Finally, after having secured all the arms in the
house one of the gang said, "Let us bring the meeting to a close." Another then asked
George to show him his latest wound, and when he stooped over to show them his arm,
one of the murderers emptied his gun, loaded with slugs and shot, into George breast,
piercing his body, the hole being as large as a man's fist. Another of the assassins then
shot him in the back of the head, and 25 minutes later George was a corpse. The
powder of one of the shots burned Jane's dress.

Added is this chastisement printed as the end of the article in the Portsmouth times:

Be it ever said to the disgrace of Carter County that when the Judge ordered the
sheriff to go with a posse of men to bury the dead, only two of many summoned would
agree to go and the attempt was abandoned. Finally, one man in the Underwood
neighborhood did go and bury the dead when the assassins had left the scene.

The above newspaper articles were reprinted in George Wolfford's "Carter County,
a Pictorial History", published by WWW Company, Ashland, Kentucky.

For those interested in another side of the story, here is a letter to the editor, written by

the infamous Jesse Underwood, and published in the 9 Oct 1879 (very close to the time
of his murder) in "The Flemingsburg Democrat":

"I have been a silent listener to all that editors and local editors have seen cause to write
concerning the so-called Underwood War, I consider that name unjust. It would be
more appropriate to say the war on the Underwoods, if it should be called a war at all. I
consider it downright murder, at least on their part, the other is quite different. They
commenced the shooting and
killing without a cause, and killed two men and seriously wounded another and
threatened the whole family before the Underwoods ever raised a gun. They then had
two men killed in arms. There was a peace effected in which I
arrived in time to take a part. The Underwoods considered the shooting at an end. Two
years passed and Elvy Underwood was murdered by two men while quietly at work in
his field surrounded by his little children. I trailed the two men direct within two hundred
yards of Squire V. Holbrook's house, as near as I dare go. One of the tracks
corresponded exactly with that of Squire Holbrook's. Not content with what they had
already done, Squire Holbrook, his son Mildred and two others waylayed the road for
me one whole day about one-half mile from our house. Your readers have already
learned their leader's fate and how the followers murdered Wm. Underwood,
unsuspected and unawares, for he had ever labored for peace and never raised arms
against the enemies of his family. Next comes the shooting and wounding of David
Wilson, one of Holbrook's band. Your kind readers have a right to censure whom they
choose for this deplorable state of affairs on Tygart. But one thing is certain, I have
labored hard to prevent this terrible work, for there is nothing I prize so high as peace
and quiet.
(signed) Jesse Underwood"

Additional folklore says that the "Regulators" forced their way into the house and, after
making certain that Jesse was dead and after murdering George, they ordered the
womenfolk to cook them a meal, which they ate, in full view of the bodies. Then they
gave an ultimatum to the women, saying that they had 24 hours to get out of the county.
The women, who must have been pretty brave, defied them and remained. Jane,
whose birth name was Melissa Jane was later changed to Rebecca Jane, when she left
Carter Co. to join other family members in Elkhart, Polk Co., IA.

20 M ii. Stephen DAVIS was born on 10 Aug 1843 in Scott Co, VA.
Stephen married (1) Elizabeth FULTZ daughter of Hezekiah Karr FULTZ and Martha Matilda FANNIN before 1873. Elizabeth was born on 4 Jan 1854 in KY.
Stephen married (2) Alice CARTEE .
Stephen married (3) Valinda RAYBURN daughter of William RAYBURN and Louise Bell GIBSON. Valinda was born on 28 Aug 1865. She died in 1951.

21 F iii. Rebecca DAVIS was born on 10 Oct 1845 in Scott Co, VA.
Rebecca married Melvin MCCONNELL son of Thomas Price MCCONNELL and Malinda "Lindy"Nee Compton PHILLIPS. Melvin was born in 1845.

22 F iv. Mary Ann DAVIS was born on 10 Aug 1849.
Mary married George W DANNER on 20 Oct 1870. George was born calculated 1839.

23 M v. Jesse DAVIS was born on 11 Dec 1851 in Scott Co, VA.
Jesse married Ellen BURCHETT daughter of Benjamin Franklin BURCHETT II and Elizabeth "Betty" WATSON on 20 May 1874. Ellen was born on 25 May 1856 in Stinson, Carter Co., KY.

24 F vi. Winnie DAVIS was born on 9 Oct 1853 in Scott Co., VA. She died on 18 Jan 1941 in Plattsbranch, Danleyton, Greenup Co., KY. She was buried in Danleyton Cemetery, Flatwoods, KY.
Winnie married (1) Leslie Obediah FULTS 12 son of Wesley Fantley FULTZ and Sylva STAMPER on 15 Sep 1870 in Carter Co., Ky. Leslie was born on 7 Feb 1845 in Wesleyville, Carter, Ky. He died on 30 Jan 1878. He was buried in Bethel Cemetery, Carter Co, KY.

Leslie was sheriff of Carter County and was killed while leading a possee supposedly by
one Jerome Willis.

Winnie married (2) John DANNER .

25 F vii. Martha Jane DAVIS was born on 3 Mar 1854 in Scott Co., VA. She died on 26 Jul 1938 in Carter Co, KY.
Martha married Andrew Jackson FULTZ 13 son of Wesley Fantley FULTZ and Sylva STAMPER on 14 Oct 1872 in Wesleyville, Carter, KY. Andrew was born on 18 Dec 1849 in Wesleyville, Carter, Ky. He died on 28 Feb 1930.

26 M viii. Hiram DAVIS was born on 1 Jan 1859 in Scott Co., VA. He died on 1 May 1908 in Olive Hill, Carter, KY.
Hiram married (1) Emmaline FULTS 14 daughter of Wesley Fantley FULTZ and Sylva STAMPER on 10 Oct 1878. Emmaline was born on 5 Nov 1863 in Wesleyville, Carter, Ky. She died on 24 Feb 1901 in Portsmouth, Scioto, OH.
Hiram married (2) Martha Ann MILLER on 3 Dec 1872.

David married (2) Martha Ann MILLER daughter of William MILLER and Esther HENDERSON on 3 Dec 1871. Martha was born on 24 May 1835 in , Carter, Kentucky. She died on 9 May 1879.

MARRIAGE:

Henderson Family History
1850 Census Carter Co., Ky

David and Martha had the following children:

27 M ix. William S DAVIS was born on 12 Feb 1873. He died in OKlahoma.

28 F x. Esther Ann DAVIS was born on 20 Apr 1874.

29 F xi. Alice Ellen DAVIS was born on 25 Oct 1877. She died in OKlahoma.

David married (3) Amanda Jane FRALEY on 4 Dec 1884. Amanda was born in 1853 in Carter Co, KY. She died in Sep 1914.

Amanda was listed in the 1880 Carter County census as Squire's housekeeper.

David and Amanda had the following children:

30 M xii. David York "Davey" DAVIS was born on 23 Sep 1886. He died on 11 Oct 1964.

RELATIONSHIP,BIRTH,DEATH: Posting by Darrell warner on Carter Co. KY
query
forum-Feb 1999.

David married (1) Malinda E. "Mindy" BOND daughter of James Marion

BOND and Mary Elizabeth MILLER. Malinda was born on 15 Dec 1879 in Carter Co, KY. She died on 15 Oct 1965.

BIRTH,MARRIAGE,DEATH: Posting by Darrell warner on Carter Co. KY query
forum-Feb 1999. 1880 Carter Co. KY age 6/12 b. KY parents b. KY listed
with
parents.

David married (2) Martha Idella "Della" BOND daughter of James Marion BOND and Mary Elizabeth MILLER. Martha was born on 21 Jun 1892. She died on 28 Mar 1974.

BIRTH,MARRIAGES,DEATH: Posting by Darrell warner on Carter Co. KY query
forum-Feb 1999.

David married (3) Nancy E ERWIN daughter of John Leander "Pee Wee" ERWIN and Rachel JORDAN on 29 Nov 1913 in Carter Co, KY. Nancy was born in 1872 in Prater, Carter Co, KY.

31 F xiii. Mary Susanna DAVIS was born on 12 Aug 1889.
Mary married Isaac SMITH .

32 F xiv. Clara Elizabeth DAVIS was born on 28 Aug 1885. She died in 1960 in Carter Co, KY.
Clara married (1) Robert BUCKLER son of James Matthew BUCKLER and Hannah Miranda STEWART on 15 Mar 1900 in Carter Co, KY.
Clara married (2) Richard Greenwade COOPER son of Ammon Knighton COOPER and Julia Ann REEDER on 16 Dec 1933. Richard was born on 3 Feb 1882 in Lewis Co, KY. He died on 31 Oct 1967 in Lewis Co, KY. He was buried in Stafford Hill Cemetery, Lewis Co, KY.
Clara married (3) Pleasant Jackson "Jack" GILLIAM son of Isaac GILLIAM and Miram MCCLURG on 10 Feb 1945 in Campbell Co, TN. Pleasant was born on 2 May 1887 in Lewis Co, KY. He died on 1 Jun 1960 in Carter Co, KY.

6. Belfield DAVIS 15 (Jesse) was born on 15 Jan 1817 in , , Virginia. He died on 17 Jul 1907 in West Lebanon, IN. He was buried in West Lebanon, IN Cemetery.

Belfield married (1) Frances A MASTERS . Frances was born calculated 1828.

33 F i. Rebecca M DAVIS was born calculated 1846.

34 M ii. James W DAVIS was born calculated 1849.

35 F iii. Sarah J DAVIS was born calculated 1850.

Belfield married (2) Nancy ROTHGEB .

36 M iv. James A DAVIS was born calculated 1856.

37 M v. Isaac W DAVIS was born calculated 1858.

38 M vi. George W DAVIS was born calculated 1859.

Belfield married (3) Mary E CORTHORN in 1867.

Belfield and Mary had the following children:

39 M vii. John DAVIS was born on 23 Apr 1861. He died on 21 Mar 1947 in Terra Haute, IN. He was buried in McGraw Chapel Cemetery, Huntsville, OH.
John married Altha PERKINS .

40 F viii. Mary DAVIS was born calculated 1866.

41 F ix. Laura DAVIS was born calculated 1868.

42 M x. Sherridan DAVIS was born calculated 1870.

43 F xi. Fanny DAVIS was born on 30 Apr 1872. She died on 12 Oct 1933.
Fanny married Alexander LAKE in 1887 in Lafayette, IN. Alexander died in 1921.

7. Elizabeth DAVIS 16 (Jesse) was born in 1822 in , , Va. She died before 1880.

Elizabeth married Green C STALLARD 17 son of Rawley Duncan STALLARD Sr and Mary Elizabeth HUTCHINSON on 15 May 1844 in Scott Co., VA. Green was born on 17 Jul 1817 in , Scott, Va. He died on 27 Jul 1907 in , Carter Co., Ky.. He was buried in Olive Hill, , Ky..

44 M i. Martin V STALLARD was born on 16 Mar 1845 in Scott Co, VA. He died on 16 Jan 1933 in Carter Co, KY.
Martin married Elizabeth BURTON daughter of Caleb BURTON and Susan HARPER on 30 Oct 1872. Elizabeth was born on 25 Jan 1856. She died on 25 Jun 1936.

45 F ii. Winney Ellen STALLARD 18 was born on 26 Jun 1851 in , , Va. She died on 29 Jan 1932 in Carter Co, KY.
Winney married Thomas Jefferson KISER 19 son of Absolom Abednego "Abner" KISER and Eliza Ann COUCH about 1874. Thomas was born on 23 Mar 1854 in Russell Co., VA. He died on 1 Jun 1924.

46 F iii. Mary Elizabeth STALLARD was born on 13 Jan 1853 in Scott Co., VA. She died on 6 Jul 1916 in Lewis Co., KY. She was buried in Upper Bruce/Skidmore Cem Lewis Co KY.
Mary married Josiah Joseph CONN son of John CONN and Ursala CARTER on 1 Dec 1870 in Carter Co., KY. Josiah was born on 10 Mar 1841 in Morgan Co., KY. He died on 21 Dec 1911 in Lewis Co., KY. He was buried in Upper Bruce/Skidmore Cem Lewis Co KY.

47 F iv. Rosannah STALLARD was born on 8 Oct 1855. She died on 8 Jan 1891. She was buried in Bethel Cem, Carter Co., KY.
Rosannah married John Silas FULTZ son of Hezekiah Karr FULTZ and Martha Matilda FANNIN on 28 Aug 1872 in Carter Co., KY. John was born on 14 Feb 1857 in KY. He died on 20 Jul 1912 in Carter Co, KY. He was buried in Bethel Cem, Carter Co., KY.

widower in 1900 at age 44

48 M v. Peter STALLARD was born in 1860. He died infancy.

49 M vi. Stevend Douglas STALLARD was born on 11 Jan 1862. He died on 9 Mar 1925 in Carter Co, KY.
Stevend married (1) Amelia Jane BONZO daughter of Peter Lewis BONZO

and Mary KNOWLES on 12 May 1883. Amelia was born in 1861 in KY.
Stevend married (2) Ina PHILLIPS daughter of Joseph "Joe" PHILLIPS and Amelia Willis (Willie) DUNCAN on 25 Nov 1903. Ina was born on 23 Jun 1886 in Fleming Co, KY. She died on 9 Apr 1949 in Lucasville, OH. She was buried in Minford, OH.

9. Martha DAVIS (Jesse) was born about 1827 in Scott Co, VA. She died in 1867.

Martha married William LAWSON son of Jeremiah LAWSON and Catherine "Kate" MCCONNELL about 1844 in Carter Co., KY. William was born in 1820 in Scott County, Virginia. He died in 1907 in Rowan Co, KY.

50 M i. Henry T. LAWSON was born in Oct 1835. He died in Aug 1924.
Henry married (1) Mary M. HENDERSON daughter of Robert Jasper HENDERSON and Amy J. GILBERT on 27 Jul 1865 in , Carter, KY. Mary was born on 13 Mar 1843 in , of Carter, Kentucky. She died in 1908.

Henderson Family History

Henry married (2) Rosa Jane DINGUS daughter of John DINGUS and Nancy M COMPTON in 1881. Rosa was born in 1836.
Henry married (3) Isabelle FRALEY in 1912.

51 F ii. Easter Ellen LAWSON was born about 1845 in VA. She died in 1922 in KY.
Easter married Thomas Jefferson WILLIAMS . Thomas was born about 1838. He died about 1909 in KY.

52 M iii. Henry LAWSON was born about 1846.
Henry married Ethel STONE . Ethel was born in HER NICKNAME (ET).

53 F iv. Mary "Polly" LAWSON was born on 14 Apr 1850. She died on 31 Oct 1923.
Mary married Cornelius BUCKNER son of Overton M BUCKNER and Elizabeth FULTS on 21 Nov 1872. Cornelius was born on 23 Oct 1848 in Carter Co., KY.

54 M v. George W LAWSON was born about 1851 in Scott Co, VA. He died on 9 Dec 1907 in Rowan Co, KY. He was buried in Triplett Creek, Rowan, Co.Ky..
George married Merenda JONES on 14 Oct 1877.

55 F vi. Sarah Jane LAWSON was born in 1855 in VA.
Sarah married David Owen MCGLONE son of Joseph Richard MCGLONE and Margaret A EVANS on 6 Jan 1873. David was born about 1846 in Carter Co., KY.

56 F vii. Elizabeth LAWSON .

57 M viii. Stephen LAWSON was born in 1853 in Scott Co, VA.

58 F ix. Betty LAWSON .
Betty married Walter OSBORN .

59 F x. Martha Melvina LAWSON was born on 7 Apr 1864. She died in 1957. She was buried in Fults Cemetary on Bethel Ridge.
Martha married Joseph M "Pap" FULTZ Jr son of Joseph M FULTZ Sr and Matilda Elizabeth SMITH on 6 Apr 1882 in Carter Co., KY. Joseph was born on 30 Oct 1862 in Carter Co., KY. He died on 29 Jul 1945 in Carter Co., KY. He was buried in Fults Cemetary on Bethel Ridge.

60 M xi. Robert "Bob" LAWSON was born in 1867 in Carter Co, KY.
Robert married Mary L ADDINGTON 20 daughter of George Hopkins ADDINGTON and Sarah B DINGUS in Mar 1890. Mary was born on 13 Oct 1862/1863 in , , Va.

10. Winnod "Winney" DAVIS 21 (Jesse) was born on 1 Mar 1829 in VA. She died on 27 Jun 1900.

Winnod married James Alderman STALLARD 22,23 son of Peter STALLARD and Margaret ADDINGTON on 24 Jan 1847 in Scott, VA. James was born on 21 Apr 1822 in <, Scott, Va>. He died on 30 Jul 1894.

61 M i. Arnold Patton STALLARD 24,25 was born on 8 Nov 1847 in Nickelsville, Scott, Virginia. He died on 30 Apr 1917 in Carter Co., KY.
Arnold married Symatha Emaline "Cynthia" FULTZ 26,27,28 daughter of Wesley Fantley FULTZ and Sylva STAMPER on 16 Mar 1873 in Carter Co., KY. igi shows 15 mar. Symatha was born on 8 Dec 1856 in Wesleyville, Carter Co, Ky. She died on 18 Oct 1922 in Wesleyville, Carter Co, KY. She was buried in Bethel Cemetery, Olive Hill, Carter Co, KY.

62 M ii. Henderson H STALLARD was born on 17 Sep 1849. He died in infancy.

63 F iii. Margaret Easter STALLARD was born on 17 Mar 1852 in Scott Co., VA. She died on 4 Jan 1898 in Carter Co., KY.
Margaret married (1) George Washington FULTZ 29 son of Wesley Fantley FULTZ and Sylva STAMPER on 25 Nov 1869. George was born on 24 Feb 1848 in Wesleyville, Carter, Ky. He died in Marysville, Mason Co, KY.
Margaret married (2) Andrew Jackson JACOBS .

64 F iv. Elizabeth STALLARD was born on 21 Jan 1854 in Scott Co., VA. She died on 3 Feb 1929 in Carter Co., KY or VA?.
Elizabeth married Andrew J DANNER 30 son of Daniel Filmore DANNER and Mary Ann EASTWOOD on 4 Jun 1873. Andrew was born on 14 Apr 1849 in , , Va. He died on 24 Nov 1877.

65 M v. George Dallas STALLARD 31 was born on 5 Dec 1855 in , Scott, Va. He died on 9 Jan 1923 in Geuda Springs, KS. He was buried in Mclough Cemetery, Mclouth, Jefferson, Ks.
George married Sarah Margaret ERWIN 32 daughter of John Brandon ERWIN and Susan C RAMEY on 9 Dec 1878 in Carter Co., KY. Sarah was born on 4 Sep 1862 in , Carter, Ky. She died on 29 Jul 1902 in McLouth, Jefferson, KS. She was buried in 1902 in Mclouth, Jefferson, Ks.

66 M vi. Dr. James Harvey STALLARD was born on 12 Mar 1858. He died on 7 Jul 1931.
James married (1) Mary Catherine BONZO daughter of Peter Lewis BONZO and Mary KNOWLES. Mary was born in 1861 in KY.
James married (2) Laura Mabel HENDERSON daughter of Thomas H HENDERSON and Harriett Minnie LINTHICAN on 16 Apr 1913. Laura was born on 14 Jan 1886. She died on 20 Apr 1973 in Topeka, KS. She was buried in Geuda Springs, KS.

67 M vii. Peter Johnson STALLARD was born on 28 Nov 1860 in Scott Co., VA. He died on 18 Mar 1925 in Williamstown, KS.
Peter married Caroline STAMPER daughter of Andrew Jackson STAMPER

and Susanna FANNIN on 15 Dec 1882 in Carter Co., KY. Caroline was born on 18 Jan 1861. She died on 7 Dec 1941.

68 F viii. Mary STALLARD was born on 13 Nov 1862 in Nickelsville, VA. She died on 19 Aug 1953.

Queen Mary of the House of David

Mary married Benjamin Franklin PURNELL son of Matison PURNELL and Sarah A ROSS on 3 Aug 1880. Benjamin was born on 27 Mar 1861. He died on 16 Dec 1927.

King Ben of the House of David

Hello CW,
Found this info on the Chicago Sun Times web site. The article was written in 1999. A
little bit of History, and some things that weren't on the URL's I sent you. Here it is:

Some people who live around Watervliet and Benton Harbor don't exactly view the
House of David in the spirit of Disneyland magic. House of David founder Benjamin
Purnell was a traveling preacher, and for a while he was a broom-maker in Richmond,
Ind. He loved music, particularly Hawaiian steel guitars, Marimbas and African-American
spirituals. Benjamin was known to ride around the House of David property on a white
horse, wearing a flowering white robe and jewel-encrusted sombrero. He met his wife
Mary in Ohio.

According to a 1953 Sun-Times article, Benjamin--as he was known around the House
of David--said a dove perched on his shoulder and directed him to Benton Harbor. That
suggested divine intervention.

In 1927, allegations of fraud and sexual misconduct were made against Benjamin, which
led to the most celebrated civil trial in Berrien County history. The case ended with a
guilty verdict on charges of teaching and practicing perjury, but the decision was later
reversed on appeal.

Benjamin died of diabetes and tuberculosis 11 days after the civil suit's conclusion. He
was 66. After his death, his wife started the competing City of David, virtually across the
street from the House of David.

The House of David sect, of course, believed the chosen dead will rise again, so
Benjamin's body lies mummified in a glass-covered coffin in a chapel in the still-standing
Diamond House (so named because in the sun it sparkled from the stones and minerals
from which it was built). Only members can view his coffin. "When the others died, their
bodies were placed in Crystal Springs Cemetery in Benton Harbor," Siriano said. "
There's no headstones; a few had a number on a stone, but most of them are in
unmarked graves."

So for now, the most passionate tribute to the colorful sect can be found in the aisles of
a dusty antique store on a sleepy main street in southwest Michigan. It could make for a
memorable pre-millennium pilgrimage.

69 F ix. Martha J STALLARD was born on 24 Feb 1865 in KY. She died on 7 Sep 1926.
Martha married James Carter GILBERT son of Samuel R GILBERT and Nancy W JACOBS on 22 Dec 1890 in Carter Co., KY. James was born on 1 Jan 1852. He died on 8 Dec 1933.

70 F x. Rachel STALLARD was born in 1867. She died in infancy.

71 M xi. Charles C STALLARD was born on 26 Mar 1871. He died on 19 Jan 1933.
Charles married Catherine "Kate" KISER daughter of James Edward KISER and Margaret Elizabeth "Pinkie" SKEINS. Catherine was born on 28 Nov 1875. She died on 11 Oct 1943.

72 M xii. William STALLARD died in infancy.

11. Reverend Robert Thompson DAVIS 33 (Jesse) was born on 23 Mar 1832 in Wise, Wise, Virginia. He died after 1903 in , Wise, Virginia.

Robert married Hester Ann STALLARD 34 daughter of John Hutchinson STALLARD and Nancy Eunice NEWBERRY on 10 Sep 1850 in , Scott, Virginia. Hester was born on 14 Feb 1832 in , , Va. She died on 6 Feb 1920.

73 F i. Mahala DAVIS 35 was born on 8 Jul 1851 in Dry Fork, Wise, Virginia. She died on 27 Dec 1889 in , Wise, Virginia.
Mahala married William Marion BUCHANAN son of John Jay BUCHANAN and Mary A "Polly" FRANKLIN on 2 Sep 1874. William was born in Jul 1852 in Russell Co, VA. He died on 28 Sep 1928.

74 F ii. Nancy Elizabeth DAVIS 36 was born on 21 Feb 1853 in , Russell, Virginia. She died in 1914.
Nancy married John Nelson HOLBROOK son of James F HOLBROOK and Anna Frances "Fannie" JORDAN. John was born on 16 Apr 1850 in Bull Run,Wise Co, VA. He died on 16 Apr 1927 in VA.

75 M iii. Jessee DAVIS 37 was born on 22 Mar 1854 in Dry Fork, Wise, Virginia.
Jessee married Lucy CASTEEL .

76 F iv. Mary DAVIS 38 was born on 30 Nov 1855 in Dry Fork, Wise, VA. She died on 30 Apr 1939.
Mary married William Oliver GREEAR son of Frances Bonham GREEAR and Priscilla Price STALLARD. William was born on 7 Jul 1856. He died on 21 Dec 1946.

77 M v. John H. DAVIS 39 was born on 1 Nov 1857 in Dry Fork, Wise, Virginia. He died in 1916 in Coeburn, VA.
John married (1) Mary Emily "Emma" RAMEY 40,41 daughter of John H RAMEY and Arrena "Rena" OSBORNE on 2 Apr 1879 in , Wise, Virginia. Mary was born on 5 Sep 1962 in Scott Co, VA. She died in 1918.
John married (2) Marie HORNE after 1890.
John married (3) Malinda "Lindy" SEXTON on 19 Aug 1908. Malinda was born on 25 Mar 1875.

78 F vi. Hester Ann DAVIS 42 was born on 24 Nov 1859 in Dry Fork, Wise, Virginia. She died on 26 Jan 1920.
Hester married Arter Alexander BUCHANAN son of John Jay BUCHANAN and Mary A "Polly" FRANKLIN on 25 Oct 1877. Arter was born on 8 Mar 1857. He died on 17 Oct 1934.

79 F vii. Frances C DAVIS 43 was born on 14 Jun 1861 in Dry Fork, Wise, Virginia. She died on 2 Jan 1932.
Frances married Oliver LAWSON son of Henry D LAWSON and Susannah E BOND. Oliver was born on 20 Apr 1861 in Wise, Scott County, Virginia. He died on 15 Nov 1948.

80 M viii. Samuel P. DAVIS 44 was born on 16/26 May 1863 in Dry Fork, Wise, Virginia.
Samuel married (1) Amanda M "Mandy" HILL on 4 Dec 1882.
Samuel married (2) Sarah Elizabeth "Lizzie" ROBINETTE 45 daughter of Henry ROBINETTE and Mary HOLBROOK on 23 Apr 1909. Sarah was born on 7 Jun 1869 in Coeburn, Wise, Va.. She died in Nov 1960.

81 F ix. Susannah DAVIS 46 was born on 11 Jun 1865 in Dry Fork, Wise, Virginia. She died on 19 Jul 1904 in Williamsburg, Greenbrier, West Virginia.
Susannah married William BUCHANAN on 15 Nov 1883.

82 F x. Martha Priscilla DAVIS 47 was born on 12 Jan 1868 in , Wise, Virginia. She died on 23 Sep 1891.
Martha married James Milton (Bud) INGLE 48 on 11 Aug 1887. James was born in Jan 1868 in <Flatwoods, Wise Co., Va.>. He died in Aug 1927.

83 M xi. Robert Thompson DAVIS Jr 49 was born on 23 Mar 1870 in <Dry Fork, Wise, Va>. He died on 20 Oct 1899.
Robert married Sarah Elizabeth "Lizzie" ROBINETTE 45 daughter of Henry ROBINETTE and Mary HOLBROOK. Sarah was born on 7 Jun 1869 in Coeburn, Wise, Va.. She died in Nov 1960.

12. Henry Oliver DAVIS (Jesse) was born on 4 Sep 1835. He died on 8 Apr 1915.

1870 Greenup Co, KY census:

198/194 Davis Henry O. 35 M W Works on farm Ky
SArah 27 F W Keeping house Ky
Rebecca 10 F W Ky
Levina 04 F W Ky
Dudy 02 F W Ky

Henry married Sarah Jane MEADOWS in 1859. Sarah was born calculated 1842.

84 F i. Rebecca DAVIS was born calculated 1860.

85 F ii. Levina DAVIS was born calculated 1866.

86 F iii. Dudy DAVIS was born calculated 1868.

87 M iv. Thomas J DAVIS was born in 1877. He died in 1961.
Thomas married Eliza J YOUNG .

88 F v. Louise DAVIS was born in Lawrence Co, KY. She died in Feb 1963 in Franklin Furnace, OH.
Louise married Joseph Allen STAGGS . Joseph was born in VA or KY.

Posted: 25 Mar 2002 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Davis
Dear C.W. Butler,
Thank you for all of your wonderful indepth info about the Davis Family.
I am also a direct descendant of Jesse Davis. I am a descendant of his son, David, and also of his daughter, Nancy (who you did not list). I would be happy to give you some info about her.
Also, I believe your info for Jesse, Jr. is incorrect. Jesse's Jr. (who married Mary "Polly" Hillman) was born in 1824/25.
If you e-mail me directly, I can give you further info on him.
Also, I believe some of the names you have listed as Jesse's children are not correct, since they were not listed with him in the 1830 Scott Co, Va. census.
I would be happy to share my info with you. Please e-mail me directly at:
cozialley@msn.com.

Thanks again for all your great info!
Cozi Alley

Posted: 6 Apr 2002 2:08PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2003 6:07PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, BURCHETT
I am really not familiar with this CD you are speaking of. However, I do have a question on this. Your #23 Jesse Davis bon Dec 11, 1851 and married Ellen Burchett. I am currently looking at my great grandmother's death certificate. Her name was Maude Davis Craig. It lists her fathe as Jell Davis and her mother as Ellen Burchett both born in Carter Co., KY. Maude was born Marc 20, 1888 and died March 10, 1933. My question is, can this be the same family?
Thanks for your help

Posted: 6 Apr 2002 2:35PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jun 2002 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, BURCHETT
Well, possibly. What siblings do you have for Maude?

From where was the spelling "Jell" taken?

Posted: 7 Apr 2002 1:35PM GMT
Surnames: CRAIG, BURCHETT
The only things I know of Maude is she was married to George Craig. She was born 3/20/1888 died 3/10/1933. The informant on the death cert. was my grandfather Clyde Craig. It states that she ws born in Carter Co and her father is Jell Davis born in KY, her mother was Ellen Burchett born in Carter Co. She is buried at Rose Hill Cemetery in Ashland, Boyd Co., KY Maude lived on Central Ave in Ashland. This is all I know of my great grandmother. I have visited her grave several times as she is buried with my grandparents. Her husband, George is buried at Rose Cemetery in Lee City, KY. George and Maude had several children: Clyde Craig, Bethel Craig, Ethel Craig, Ruth Craig, and Claude Craig (twin of Clyde). Who are all deceased. My frandfather did not have a birth certificate. I remember this as when he went to draw his Social Security he and my mother had to go and find people who knew him and get affidavids of his birth, so I am assuming his siblings did not have a birth certificate either. Any help would be grealy appreciated as this family as eluded for a long time.

Posted: 7 Apr 2002 2:46PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jun 2002 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS
Welcome to the Davis family!

Posted: 8 Apr 2002 12:06AM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS
Thanks. I am researcnig 3 different lines of Davis'

Jerry Davis (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2002 3:41AM GMT
Edited: 6 May 2002 12:36PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, CARPENTER
I am looking for Henry O. Davis residing in Carter County, circa 1860. My ggrandfather's (William Davis) death certificate shows he was bron Apr 1, 1857 in Carter County, son of Henry O. Davis. Mother unknown.

+ Henry O. Davis
+ William Davis (1857 - 1938)
m. Margeret Carpenter

Posted: 23 Mar 2003 7:10PM GMT
Edited: 25 Feb 2004 2:38AM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, PRUITT, WATKINS, CASSIDY, YOUNG
From Death cert of Rebecca Davis Pruitt Born july 6, 1861
Died June 23, 1947 Daughter of Ocil and Mary Davis. Other sources tell me his name is Henry.
Burial in Arms Cemetery. Informant is Viola Cassidy Frisby
Of Vanceburg Ky.
Husband is Issac Pruitt.

In speaking with a cousin recently. I have William and Buelah Watkins Cassidy. I am told Buelah's Parents are Hiram and Sarah Davis Watkins. And that Sarah's Father's name is Thomas Davis. Mother unknown. But told she died when Sarah was 7.
My question for you CW is... Do you have any issue for Thomas and Eliza Young? I am trying to tie the 2 davis lines together.
I tried mailing you direct but it came back mailbox full.
I should have more to share with you in the coming months.

Sharon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions