Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Wood, Spartanburg (Rev. War soldier)

Benjamin Wood, Spartanburg (Rev. War soldier)

Posted: 9 Feb 2002 4:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Sep 2002 5:54PM GMT
I came across a reference, and can't remember where, that some Wood graves were moved to make way for the Greenville-Spartanburg airport (in S.C.). I'm trying to locate the graves of Benjamin Wood and Alsey Abigal Duncan Wood, my 4th great-grandparents. Does anyone know if their graves were moved to the Wood's Chapel cemetery? When I looked at the tombstone transcriptions in the Wood's Chapel cemetery (online) I noticed there were a lot of unmarked graves. Also, I'm trying to find out anything I can about Benjamin's service in the Revolutionary War. Benjamin was the brother of the Rev. Henry Wood, who founded Wood's Chapel, and was also in the Rev. War.

Re: Benjamin Wood, Spartanburg (Rev. War soldier)

Posted: 16 Aug 2002 8:52PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2004 10:29AM GMT
Hello:

If you will contact me I will try to help you out. Benjamin and Alsey are my descendants also. I also have rev war info on Benjamin.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Rhita

Carol Roberts (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2002 5:20PM GMT

The only information I have about Benjamin Wood's rev. war experience is from the book on the Wood family, Our Time in History, by James Paget. It's stated in the book that Benjamin Wood served as a private in the 1st Company of the South Carolina Continental Troops. My e-mail is: croberts47@sc.rr.com
Rhita,I would like to hear from you if you have any further information.
Carol Roberts

Carol Roberts (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2003 1:49PM GMT
Rhita,
I have seen two references to Benjamin Wood's Revolutionary War pension application but when I sent off a request form to National Archives, I got the response that one could not be located. Have you seen a copy of his pension application anywhere in your research? If so, could you point me in the right direction? I do have a copy of his service record, but I would dearly love (and will glady pay) to get a copy of the pension application.
Carol Roberts

Gayle (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2003 9:34PM GMT
The DAR Index shows he didn't receive a pension--at least from the gov. Maybe he received one from the state he served in.
He may have applied to the government but was refused. I have a copy (from National Archives) of an application that was refused (different man) but it doesn't give much info--his age, when & where he applied and the refusal--he wasn't in the Continental Line of the Army. He was in the Militia. You can contact the DAR http://www.dar.org/ and obtain a copy of a woman's approved application who submitted him as her Patriot for membership. I will send you via my other email some instructions for when you get to the site. Also in some large libraries there are DAR Lineage books that list the members and their connection to the Patriot. Ancestry.com has DAR Lineage info--if you are a subscriber.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 10:28PM GMT
Benjamin Wood is also my fourth great grandfather. His son, William Jackson Wood, was my third great grandfather. Was anyone able to get any information about his serving in the American Revolution, is he listed with a DAR, and if he is buried at Wood's Chapel Cemetery in Greer, SC? Any information you may have on this side of the Wood family would be very appreciated.

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 5:55PM GMT
I have a Benjamin Franklin Wood (also a Rev War soldier)
b. 1835
he is a brother to my great grandfather
just checking to see if our B. Wood may be the same???
although my Benjamin's father was Puckett Wood.

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 6:55PM GMT
Are you sure about the birth date? The revolutionary war ended in 1783

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 9:51PM GMT
I am looking for info on a Benjamin Wood (1760 in Granville, NC-8 Dec 1838 in Spartanburg Co., NC); he is the two son of Penuel and Constance Wood; married in 1788 Asley Abigail Duncan; he is already identified as a patriot with the DAR as a private with the first Company of SC Continental Troops.

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 3:36PM GMT
sorry about that, it was the war between the states.

have you run across a Puckett Wood born abt. 1795
m. Martha Patsey Barbour...
have hit a brick wall ...can't find any siblings or parents of either one.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions