Search for content in message boards

Who was Ziba Gibson?

Who was Ziba Gibson?

Posted: 8 Jan 2007 11:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jan 2007 6:23PM GMT
Surnames: gibson, macgregor, mackenzie
To all who claim descend from Ziba Gibson. Who was Ziba Gibson? Ziba Gibson has been a hard fellow to find. Many branches from Ziba have the tradition that Ziba Gibson was a MacGregor. I descend from the Ziba Gibson through my mother from Ziba'a son Nelson Gibson. It was also a tradition in my family that we were not alway Gibson but were Mac? something. I had my uncle(mother's brother) submit his a DNA sample to FTDNA. The results so far show no matches with any MacGregors. But on the other hand his sample has matched over 28 MacKenzies 12/12 or 11/12. The 12/12 match indicate 55% for a commom ancestor in 4 generations up to a 98% for a common ancestor in 24 generations. Now the name MacKenize is interesting considering that my gg grandfather was Nelson MacKenzie Gibson. Also Nelson Gibson, son of Ziba Gibson, daughter married a MacKenzie. My research has revealed that the my Gibsons were fond of marrying cousins. (a common trait among Scot-Irish). I hope my research will be of benefit to all the researchers of the Ziba Gibson line. Please contact me at cwnscott@sbcglobal.net if you have any comments or questions. Please consider having your DNA tested if you are a male Gibson.
Thanks,
Ernest Knoxie Johnson

David Gibson m. Mary Hensley - KY

Posted: 8 Jan 2007 1:41PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2007 6:25PM GMT
Surnames: gibson, mckenzie, hensley
Hi

I believe the David Gibson family had the story in the family that they were really McKenzie - He married Mary Hensley and I think they were in Clay and Letcher Counties Kentucky. But it seems when I checked the Gibson DNA David's line has been tested but didn't match Ziba?

Interesting?

Joanne

Re: David Gibson

Posted: 8 Jan 2007 11:38PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2007 6:25PM GMT
Surnames: gibson
Hi Joanne,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I looked at David's results and what pedigree he posted. He definitely doesn't match the Ziba Gibson line. I also noticed his haplogroup is I1a which would normally indicate Norse ancestry. The Ziba Gibson clan was speaking gaelic when they arrived in America in the early 1700s according to what was passed down. Of course there was a mixture between the Norse and Celts in the western Isles and Ireland.My line back to the Nelson, son of Ziba is well documented. My uncle's results indicate a haplogroup of R1b, with the Atlantic modal markers. But as you said this is all very interesting. Thank you for your message.
Ernest

Gibson DNA database

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 12:13AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2007 6:26PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson
I would like to know more about this database of Gibson DNA. I have a distant cousin that may be willing to add his sample.

Thanks,
Carole

Re: Gibson DNA database

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 4:16AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2007 6:27PM GMT
Surnames: gibson
Great Carole,
Go to http://www.familytreedna.com Click on Surname Projects. Then go to G and you will find the Gibson project. Just follow the links. Let me know what your project number ends up being. I will email you some more information in a bit.
Ernest

Re: Gibson DNA database

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 2:45AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2007 6:28PM GMT
Thanks, Ernest.

Carole

New email address

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 5:25PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2007 6:33PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, Ziba
Scott - new email address for me - ltlwolf@earthlink.net -- need to talk to you - computer problems

Misty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions