Search for content in message boards

Laurens County, SC Geographical DNA-Project

Laurens County, SC Geographical DNA-Project

Katherine Bolt-Borges (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2005 1:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
I've established a Laurens County, SC Geographical-DNA Project. Since many families settled in Laurens and never left the county, it's a prime area for genealogical genetic testing.

While the majority of DNA-projects are focused on male Y-DNA surname testing, the Laurens DNA-Project is also open to females of Laurens County ancestors. Participants do NOT need to be currently living in Laurens Co., they just need to be on an all female, or all male direct line.

The first project participant is my first cousin who is a Laurens native with 200+ years of Laurens ancestry on both his direct maternal and paternal lines, he was tested for both Y-DNA and mtDNA. His Y-DNA did return results with other surname matches. His mtDNA from his mother, gave me a surprise with a perfect match to someone in my Fuller DNA surname project! I called Mr. Fuller and he told me he was on a direct maternal line to a 'brick-wall' female line from Laurens County. So the match may help Mr. Fuller in his search for his ancestor, as he can focus on the Glenn/Harris lines. The project has scholarship funds available for a direct descendant on an all female line from the Glenn/Harris family.

Those with ancestry in the surrounding counties of ol' Ninety-Six are also welcome to participate.

The site also includes Laurens County cemetery transcriptions and research links.

Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to participate!
Best regards,
Katherine Hope Bolt-Borges
Laurens County, SC DNA-Project Admin
http://www.ourfamilyorigins.com/laurens/dna.htm

Re: Laurens County, SC Geographical DNA-Project

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 12:09PM GMT
I took a DNA test from familytreedna.com and I was put in the Laurens County family group. My maternal grandmother/father are from Newberry, the next county over. Their family name was Baker. The furthest I got back is Michael Baker 1830 and Patience Wadsworth 1828. Please send me an email with any response. Thanks!
nyycanuck@yahoo.com

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: Duncan, JonesWhitmore
If you still have the DNA project, I am interested in participating. I have had my DNA test done through 23 & me. My 5th ggrandfather is Jonathan Duncan, Dunklin and I an related to James Jones and Catherine Whitmore.
Please let me know if you are still doing this as I am interested in this connection.

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Abercrombie, Hutto, Rowe
I've also had my DNA tested by 23 and me and am likely related to the Abercrombie family of Laurens, SC. I would also be interested in participating if I knew how to proceed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions