Search for content in message boards

Grunfeld -> Greenfield

Grunfeld -> Greenfield

Posted: 18 Jun 2009 12:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Greenfield, Grunfeld
Just wondering how many Greenfield's on this board have ancestors whose names were originally Grunfeld.

Or are the majority of Greenfield's here of English origin?

Re: Grunfeld -> Greenfield

Posted: 19 Jun 2009 6:14PM GMT
My graet grandfather was from Germany.

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: Gruneld->Greendield

My grandparents were from Russia.

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 7:39PM GMT
My Paternal grandmother's maiden name was Grunfeld. The family was from Romania. I had a great uncle, Morris,(her brother) who went by Greenfield. He emigrated to the US and lived in Youngstown, Ohio. My father and uncle stayed with this family for a while back in 1921 when they first arrived in the States but later they moved to Detroit.As far as I know, the Ohio branch of the family had two sons. One son was killed in a car accident. The other son, Ben, married and had two children. Does this sound like anyone you know?

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 7:23AM GMT
My grandmother's maiden name is Greenfield. She may have muttered something about England once. However, I found out recently that she is of Jewish decent on her father's side. I was curious about the english sounding name, so I looked it up. What I found was that Jewish Grunfeld's from Austria and Germany became Greenfield once they immigrated to the United States, and I guess other English countries.

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 3:04AM GMT
My Greenfield line came from Scotland but years ago I met other Greenfields who were Jewish and came from Europe and England. If I were you I would also keep in mind that Greenfield is commonly an English name that could easily have Jewish roots. Not an easy wall to break through. As easy as it looks now my Greenfield line was very hard to find in the beginning. Hope you can find yours

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 9:56PM GMT
Surnames: Grunfeld, Greenfield
Hi,
Do you know where your grandmother was born? My Greenfield relatives actually came from Romania. I don't know as much about them--they are my father's side of the family, but most people who knew anything are deceased, so I'm having a hard time tracing anything on that side.

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 8:50PM GMT
My family's name was originally Grunfeld. They are from Hungary.

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 8:54PM GMT
I'm glad to know that. My maiden name is Greenfield. I had heard that the last name was changed from Grunfeld. My Grandmother is from Austria.

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 12:44PM GMT

my biological grandmother (whom I never knew as my mom was adopted) was from Czechoslovakia, but was considered at the time as part of Hungary-the Carpathian Mountain area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions