Search for content in message boards

Cattle brands 1870-1890

Cattle brands 1870-1890

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 10:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Aug 2012 10:53AM GMT
Surnames: Johnson,
Does anyone know of any reference to registered stock brands of the late 1800s in Douglas county Nebraska?

Specifically, I have two men and their wives on a headstone dated 1898. I can find no relationship by birth or marriage. There is an engraving on the tombstone like the one attached.

The Names? Eli Johnson, his wife Lucy [Leuy] Truman, and Preston Reeves and his wife Parmelia [Pamelia]. See more photos & history...
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=85...
Attachments:

Re: Cattle brands 1870-1890

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 8:30PM GMT
Hi,

Check out the Nebraska Brand Committee, www.nbc.ne.gov/index.html. there is a cattle brand tab on the left-hand side of the page. Successful Searching!

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 9:37PM GMT
Judy, thanks for the link... took a good look couldn't find any, will check where they lived during stock raising days & go back again! Sue

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 1:35AM GMT
That Brand Book link you were provided is of current, recently expired or available. The Nebraska Brand Committee did not come into existence until 1941. It is doubtful that symbol would be found. Most Brands do not overlap as this one does. I'd first suggest it was a cemetery symbol; however, because of the names involved, it might more have been a business symbol. It "might" have been under a copyright. But, there may have only been a "family" connection within the cemetery.

Our family had a brand that was established in the State of Washington and was listed in Brand books, circa 1950-1970; however, that brand is no longer identified...even though we still own the branding iron (But never used it...)

I'd suggest you contact the Nebraska Brand Committee and ask about brands established in early 1900's/timeframe:
PO Box I, Alliance, NE 69301, 308-763-2930. They might have information about "historic" brands.

I also found the attached photo, which you also have that further explains the monument.

This indicates Eli Johnson, age 25, of Douglas Co, born in New York, Father Eli Johnson, mohter Tina Freeman, married Sarah A. Elston, age 18, of Douglas County, father William Elston, mother Elizabeth Henry, on 13 Dec 1877, witnesses George Campbell and Milla Weston, both of Waterloo:
http://books.google.com/books?id=LmwdORsX7SsC&pg=PA76&am...

This record indicates Eli Johnson was a breeder of Registered Herefords (Being a youth 4-H and breeder of Herefords...a fine occupation). A Hereford is a brown/white faced cattle, originally from Herefordshire, England. The Polled (non-horned Hereford) is mostly found today.
http://books.google.com/books?id=0RNJAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA8-PA5...
-Volume 55, 1920

The 1905 Superior Court record of Nebraska shows what appears to be a contested probate case in Douglas County for the estate of Eli Johnson, Eli Johnson Jr, being deceased. http://books.google.com/books?id=mC4tAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA305&a...
--This to me indicates Eli Johnson died circa 1905 and his estate was contested. However, there is no connection to the Reeves found in this record.

The Bureau of Land Management has a database of land patents
http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/search/default.aspx#searchTabI...
issued under the Homestead Act and other Congressional Land Acts:

It shows Eli Johnson and Edward F. Owen obtained 160 acres of land in Sarpy County on 5/1/1860, located in Township 14 N, Range 10 E, Section 14, the East half of the South East Quarter of Section 14; and the East half of the North East Quarter of Section 23, all in Sarpy County. The Find-a-grave identified Eli Johnson was in Sarpy County in the 1860 Census. This particular patent was issued under the Act of 10 Stat. 701, March 3, 1855, The Scrip Warrant Act of 1855. Military warrant.
--An Eli F. Johnson obtained land on 3/12/1896 in Box Butte County. I did not further research this person

It shows a land patent of 160 acres in Douglas County was issued on 5/1/1860 to Preston Reeves, William E. Ide, and James Smith. The land was in Township 15 North, Range 13 East, Section 16, the South East Quarter of Section 16. This particular patent was issued under the Act of 10 Stat. 701, March 3, 1855, The Scrip Warrant Act of 1855. Military warrant.

Since the Douglas County has the "connection," I will address that location.
Attachments:

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 7:11AM GMT
Surnames: Johnson, Reeves, Truman, Freeman
Wow! You've given me some info on the brands I did not know. And, reminding me of Eli Johnson BLM search I did two years ago! -shame on me! The Reeves 1860 BLM info was new so all's good.

The 1905 Superior Court record was new infomation - thank you! Will have to mull over & sort out.

The marriage record of Eli Jr & Sarah Elston showing Tina Freeman as his mother should read Lucy Truman, can't recall at the moment, original record may read Lucy Truman - typo? I finally figured out why she took the kids and went to Houston to live after Eli Jr. died... her parents were living in Houston!

great research, thank you for responding...

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 9:08AM GMT
There is a method of using township/range/section information to locate the land itself using online systems. I can show you if you don't know where the land was located.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic