Search for content in message boards

Richland Hill

Richland Hill

Posted: 26 Mar 2011 9:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know what and where Richland Hill is or was in East Feliciana parish? I don't know if it was a community or someone's personal property and I'm trying to locate a family who may be buried there.

Re: Richland Hill

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 4:49PM GMT
lOCATION OF RICHLAND HILL IN LOUISIANA

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 7:35PM GMT
I guess I need an approximate location of where Richland Hill is or was.

Posted: 2 May 2011 3:34PM GMT
Jessica, what are the names of the people you're looking for? I can check my EFP Cemetery book and see if I can find them. I'll ask around about where Richland Hill is/was.

Posted: 2 May 2011 4:27PM GMT
Thanks for responding. I was trying to find the place where Jared Washington Harrell lived and was buried. My ancestors were neighbors of the Harrells in 1900 and I'm thinking they may have lived as tenant farmers on their land. I'm fairly confident Richland Hill was somewhere between the villages of Wilson and Norwood in the 7th ward of EFP, but I would like to know where the Harrell Cemetery is or was.

Posted: 4 May 2011 2:06AM GMT
Surnames: Harrell
Looking at my EFP map I believe that the 7th Ward is more between Wilson, LA and the Woodland Community (off Hwy 67, north of Clinton).

I haven't been able to find out for sure where Richland Hill was, but I did notice on the map a Richland Creek in the 7th Ward, it crosses Hwy 422 (which runs in 7th ward between Hwy 67 North and Hwy 19), so I would GUESS that it was somewhere nearby.

My EFP Cemetery book says there is a Harrell Cemetery "5 miles north of Clinton on Sensley Property". (5 miles north of Clinton, up Hwy 67, would be in the 7th Ward area.

You were looking for a Jared Washington Harrell. I don't see a listing for him or his wife, V. A. Harrell, in the cemetery - BUT they might have been buried there, but by the time this list was taken down in about 1970, there was no headstone. Or maybe after their children died they moved on? Not sure. BUT their sons, Jared Furlow Harrell - age 9 & Samuel Singletary Harrell - age 1, and daughter, Josephine Emma Harrell - age 2, are listed as buried there.

Hope this helps you some...please let me know if I can do anymore digging for you.

Posted: 4 May 2011 12:22PM GMT
Hmm, I know exactly where Hwy. 422 is and I figured this was an approximate location of Richland Hill. But even so, it wasn't any one family's property was it? I would imagine there were multiple families living in the area. So, how would I find specifically where this family may have lived?
I'm really looking to find where Jared's son, James Harrell may have lived and was buried. His D.C. only says Richland Hill, LA. The family story is that he is my GG grandfather.
Thanks for your help. I'd heard the part about the cemetery being 5 miles north of Clinton off Hwy. 67, but not the part about the Sensley property.

Posted: 5 May 2011 3:19PM GMT
The only James Harrell I see in the cemetery book is in the Harrell cemetery, but he's "James M., s/o Hezekiah and Cassandra Harrell, Aug 7, 1816 Dec 29, 1844" It could be that she didn't find the cemetery where he's buried, or his headstone was damaged or gone by the 1970s.

Posted: 5 May 2011 5:12PM GMT
The one in your book is his uncle. I'm looking for James Abram Garfield Harrell, born in 1881 and died in 1930. His parents were Jarred and Virginia Harrell. I guess its possible the later generations were buried somewhere else. That book doesn't list where Samuel S. Harrell is buried does it?

Posted: 10 May 2011 3:26PM GMT
I didn't find a listing for any of the four names you mentioned. (Other than the one I told you in the Harrell Cemetery, where it lists Jared & Virginia as the parents of the children buried there.)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions