Search for content in message boards

Looking for a little information

Looking for a little information

Posted: 4 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 7:09PM GMT
Surnames: Hill, Banning
Hello, I'm looking for someone named Elizabeth Hill who was born in Burke Co, North Carolina in 1830. Her father was John Hill, and her mother was Sarah Banning. Any information anyone has on any of these people would help me greatly. Thanks

Jon Reed

banning gene.

Posted: 20 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2005 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Banning
Info. from the book BANNING BRANCHES, By Leroy F. Banning

SARAH BANNING born May 2, 1778 in Talbot Co., MD. She married John (or Abram) Hill Nov. 25, 1815 in Burke County, NC. He was the son of Swinfield Hill and was born about 1801. She died between 1840 and 1843 in Carter Co., TN. He married 2nd, Elizabeth Haines and had two additional children. He died about March 1877 in McMinn Co., TN. Children: R.B. Hill, Charles Hill, Stephen Hill, Elizabeth Hill, Absolem Hill, Nancy Hill. Sarah was the daughter of Benoni Banning born June 26, 1744. He married Ann Clark on Jan 3, 1769. Ann was the daughter of Abraham and Elizabeth (Williams) Clark, born Dec. 3, 1749 in Dorchester Co., They moved to Washington County, VA where he was in Capt. Campbell's Va. Militia. He was a soldier in the American Rev. War and was stabbed 3 times by British bayonets on Oct. 7, 1780 at the battle of King's Mountain, NC. She died March 3, 1824 and Benoni died on Feb 25, 1827 in Old Fort, NC and are buried in Ebeneazer Cemetery in McDowell County, NC. Benoni is son of James Banning born about 1724 in Maryland and married Angelica Frazier/ d/o Benoni and Cecilah Frazier, born about 1726. They lived in Dorchester Co., MD. He died by July 27, 1767. James was the son of William Banning. He was of age by 1704 and married Jane Spencer about 1722. William's name was recorded as "Bandy" from time to time. William died ca. 1745-46. Jane died on Nov. 14, 1756 from small pox... above info. was found in BANNING BRANCHES, Leroy F. Banning, Heritage Books, Inc.

Re: Swinfield Hill

Posted: 21 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Dec 2005 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: Hill
I am looking for the antecedents of Swinfield Hill from Burke County, first noted in 1800. I am descended from John's brother Absolem, who also moved to Carter County with Swinfield. I have a good deal of information on the family following Absolem, marriages, births, deaths, etc., but am stuck on where Swinfield and these two sons came from. I am also concerned that I do not get him mixed up with the Swinfield Hill in Franklin/Henry County Va. I do not know if they are related. Any information or direction in what I could do to expand this would be appreciated. thx!

Looking for information also

Posted: 9 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Sep 2001 4:05AM GMT
Surnames: Swinfield Hill, John Hill
I am also looking for information on Swinfield Hill. His son (I think) John was born May 9, 1784 in Burke Co., NC. He married first Elizabeth Haines and then Sarah Banning. Do these have any connections to your ancestors?

RE: Swinfield Hill

Posted: 11 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
I am not sure; I would love it if there is a connection; my Swinfield was a property holder (325 acres) in Burke Co. in 1800, and left about 1825 or so and went to Carter Co. with Absolem and John Hill. I don't have any record of a wife, but as you know, it is hard to trace the women after you get back so many years. They did not vote, and usually didn't hold property. Please write back if this helps to see if we are connected... Swinfield is a mighty unusual name... I have my hopes up...Thx!

Re: Swinfield Hill

Posted: 29 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Wow! Thanks so much for writing! I would love to find out where this Swinfield came from- is there anything in the estate records of William Hill to tie him to Swinfield? Or perhaps to an Absolem or John,who would be his grandsons if he was the father of Swinfield... I still hope to find some link to his earlier family in ye olde Burke County, NC...

Swinfield Hill

Posted: 29 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Sep 2001 9:40PM GMT
I believe Swinfield Hill's father may be William Hill who died in 1801. Have been searching in NC State Archives. Found William Hill in 1790, 1800 census. Also an Estate record of this William.

Swinfield Hill

Kay Elliott (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hill, Howell, Murdock
I am a descendant of Swinfield Hill's daughter, Martha "Patsy" Hill who married James A. Howell. Would love to get additional info on Swinfield's family. All I have is that his wife's first name was Martha. Will gladly share what I have on Martha "Patsy" Hill's descendents if you're interested. Thanks.
Posted: 8 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2001 3:44AM GMT
Surnames: Swinfield Hill, John Hill, John Hill
Hi Kris,
This is my theory. Swinfield Hill b ? John Hill b ? in Burke Co., NC married Sarah Banning 1815 moved to Carter Co., TN before 1840 Son John Hill born 1816 in NC (proberly Burke Co.)married Elizabeth Hains 1843 in Carter Co., TN. Elizabeth Hains born 1820 in VA.
Daughter Elizabeth born abt 1829 Burke Co., NC married James Henry Vanzant and moved to MO about 1850.

I believe John & Elizabeth (Eliza) are my great great grandparents. They are in Hawkins Co., TN in 1850 I cannot find them in 1860. They are in Tipton Co., TN in 1870 John died between 1870 & 1880. Eliza died after 1880. Both died in Tipton Co., TN.

Please answer and let me know what you think of my theory.
Thanks Sue

Hill Family

Sandra West (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hill, Wright
To my knowledge, I am not related to the Hill family, but bumped into the name Swinfield Hill while researching my Wright family. My ancestor Solomon Wright/sometimes spelled "Right" (b. Abt 1775, d. 1860-1870 in Yancey Co., NC) named one of his sons Swinfield Wright. Solomon Wright shows up in the Burke Co. census records as living near Swinfield Hill. Solomon lived in the part of Burke County which later became Yancey Co., appearing in the Cane Creek township. There were usually some of the Hill family living near my Solomon. Both the Hills and the Wrights married into the Hughes family.There are three articles in the Toe Valley Heritage Vol II (I believe it is that second vol.) on the Hill family. These books by Lloyd Bailey Ph.D. are on the Yancey, Mitchell, and Avery Co area in case you are not familiar with them. In an article entitled: "Some Hill Families," it begins with a Robert Hill from Dublin Ireland who settled in Va. and left a will dated 1777. He had at least two sons, Thomas, and a Swinfield b. around 1759. It continues with later descendants, including others who carried the name Swinfield. Yancey County borders on Tenn,--Unicoi and perhaps Carter Co. Several of those Yancey Co families moved back and forth into Tenn.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic