Search for content in message boards

David Watson-lived in Sumter County ALA mid 1800's, family to Pearl River County MS in late 1890s

David Watson-lived in Sumter County ALA mid 1800's, family to Pearl River County MS in late 1890s

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 7:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Watson, Green, Wallace, Burroughs, Kennedy, Bradley
I am desperately trying to break down this brick wall. My great great great grandfather was David Watson. He was married to an Amanda Frances Green. Amanda was the daughter of a David Green and Mourning Bradley of Wake, NC.

In the 1860 census, the Watsons are in Intercourse, Sumter County. David is listed as 35 and from Alabama. Also listed is wife Frances and 2 daughters. There is also what looks like "Jas" Watson (Jason? Joseph?) aged 40. I assume this must be a brother or perhaps an uncle. Jas is listed as from North Carolina, which makes since since that is where Frances' family is from. Living next door is wife Frances' widowed mother Mourning Bradley Green with some of her younger daughters and 1 son.

In the 1870 census, David is now listed as 40 years old, birthplace Alabama, with Frances and more of their children. Jas is no longer in the household. They are now living in Cuba, Sumter County.

In the 1880 census, David is listed as 50, but NOW he is suddenly listed as from Georgia, with both parents listed as from Georgia? Frances is now also listed as from South Carolina, when all other evidence strongly indicates she is from NC. Based on everything else I know, I tend to think Georgia must be a mistake on the census taker's part. His wife's family was from North Carolina, and as I stated above his relative Jas was listed as from North Carolina. David and Frances' daughter would soon marry my great great grandfather Edward Luther Wallace who was from Sumter, but was descended from a large group of associated families (Wallaces, Dills, Fulfords) that had emigrated from the Carteret County area of NC. It seems like Sumter County was populated by many people who had been part of a migration from coastal NC in the early to mid 1800s. From my past research, it looks like these families tended to stick together and intermarry. That is why I strongly suspect the Watsons were from NC and David was either born there or his parents were. I don't know where Georgia came from.

Also listed in the 1880 census with David and Frances are their children Mary, Nancy (she would marry a William Burroughs), Sarah Elizabeth "Sallie" (my gr gr grandmother - married Edward Luther Wallace), David Andrew (called "Jack" married Ella Garner), Mourning I. (I believe she was called "Monia"), Amanda Frances "Mandy", Louisa "Lula" (married George Kennedy), and Susan J.

Sometime in the 1890s, the Watsons, Greens, Wallaces, and other associated families moved down to Pearl River County Mississippi and settled in the area of Carriere/McNeill. I do not have a date of death for David so I am not sure he was alive when the move was made, although I know for a fact his wife Amanda Frances is buried in McNeill. The son David Andrew "Jack" would found the White Chapel Church of God in Carriere and serve as pastor for 31 years. Most of the daughters and their husbands settled in Pearl River County and two of the daughters (Monia and Mandy) never married. Almost all of them are buried in either McNeill Cemetery or the White Chapel cemetery in Carriere.

I can trace Amanda Frances' family back a couple generations, but am completely stuck with David. Hoping some of the researchers here can help. I think the key might be looking for the Jas Watson I listed above and my hunch is North Carolina is the right direction to look in.

Re: David Watson-lived in Sumter County ALA mid 1800's, family to Pearl River County MS in late 1890s

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 6:09AM GMT
Edited: 18 Mar 2013 6:09AM GMT
Jas is a common abbreviation for James. In the 1880, David's being listed as from Georgia may not be an error on the part of the census taker, but rather of the person who provided the information. One of the older children could have provided erroneous information.

Re: David Watson-lived in Sumter County ALA mid 1800's, family to Pearl River County MS in late 1890s

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 9:14PM GMT
Have you tried searching death records for Sumter County and Pearl River County?

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 9:28PM GMT
The Alabama Department of Archives and History has all sorts of Sumter County records that might help in your search.

Search on Sumter here:
http://www.archives.alabama.gov/localrecords/search.cfm

Their listings include Estate Records, Land Records, "Miscellaneous" and "Historical" Records that could provide death info (such as his wife selling land as a widow) or relatives' names (listed in probate, etc.)

The records aren't online, though, so you'll need to conduct research in person.

Newspapers would also be a good possibility...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic