Search for content in message boards

PFC John T. GLEASON - 116th Infantry Regiment - 29th Infantry Division.

PFC John T. GLEASON - 116th Infantry Regiment - 29th Infantry Division.

Posted: 19 Dec 2011 7:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Dec 2011 10:34PM GMT
Surnames: Gleason
Hi,
My name is Benoit Jeannet. I'm twenty eight years old and I live in Normandy, France.
I am member of an association which called "Les Fleurs de la Mémoire". Since last year the association have assigned to me the PFC John T. Gleason's grave. I have the duty to take care of his grave all my life. I visit hsi grave to put flowers serveral a year.
John was born on 30th August 1922 in Emmet. His parents were Thomas Gleason. John was enlisted on 11th February 1943. He was in the 116th Infantry Regiment - 29th Infantry Division. John was KIA on 13th June 1944 in Normandy.
I would like to find more information about, a photo of him and to contact his family. It's very important for me and my family to put a face on his name and to say we don't forget him. Please contact me if you have something.

Thanks

Re: PFC John T. GLEASON - 116th Infantry Regiment - 29th Infantry Division.

Posted: 20 Dec 2011 8:43PM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2011 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: Gleason
You started off by saying that you service the grave of PFC John T. GLEASON.

Then you say - "Louis was enlisted on 11th February 1943."
WHO is Louis. Need his last name, + DOB + birthplace.

Then you say - "Michael was KIA on 13th June 1944 in Normandy". Need his last name, DOB + birthplace.

I’m not related to any member of this family.

1930 is the last available census at this time.

1930 -
Name: John T Gleason
Birth Year: abt 1923
Home in 1930: Emmett, St Clair, Michigan
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: Thomas Gleason
Mother's Name: Emily Gleason

Thomas Gleason 51, OHIO - farmer, Age at first marriage: 36
Parents' birthplace: Irish Free State/Irish Free State
Emily Gleason 40, MICHIGAN, Age at first marriage: 25
Parents' birthplace: Irish Free State/Irish Free State
Emily Gleason 13, MICHIGAN
John T Gleason 7, MICHIGAN

Posted: 20 Dec 2011 10:36PM GMT
Sorry, an error of copy-paste in my message
The message concerned only John T GLEASON

Thank you
Respectfully

Posted: 18 Apr 2012 7:19PM GMT
Surnames: GLEASON
Your query needs to be posted in the St. Clair County Michigan section, this is the Emmet County Michigan section. PFC Gleason's home, either in Emmet Village or Emmet Township, was located in St. Clair County, Michigan in the southeast corner of the state.
I have found a John Gleason of the right age and residence in the just-released 1940 US Census. On 1 Apr 1940 John Gleason, age 18, was living with his widowed father Thomas Gleason, age 62, who was a farmer working his own farm. John Gleason was born in Michigan, while his father was born in Ohio. John was employed as a farm laborer.
Other members of the Gleason household were John's sister , Emily Cavanaugh, age 23, her husband William Cavanaugh, age 27, and their children Peter Cavanaugh age 2, and William Cavanaugh age 1.
Good luck in your search. It is quite possible that PFC Gleason's nephews Peter and William Cavanaugh are still living.
Attachments:

Posted: 18 Apr 2012 7:22PM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2012 1:36PM GMT
Surnames: GLEASON, Breen
Further info on the Gleason family of Emmet, St. Clair, Michigan.
I found the following at a genealogy site for Gleason's in St. Clair County. I can't vouch for the accuracy, but the details match the 1940 US Census records and the military records:
Thomas Gleason
Born: 2 APR 1878, Emmett Twp. St. Clair Co. MI.
Died: 5 JUL 1961, Yale, St. Clair Co. MI.
Burial:

Wife: Emily Breen
Born: 1889, MIchigan
Died: 3 MAR 1934, Sandusky, Sanilac Co. MI
Burial:

Marriage: 26 NOV 1914, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church, Emmett, Mi

Children:
1. Emily B Gleason F
2. John T Gleason M

Posted: 18 Apr 2012 8:15PM GMT
Surnames: Gleason, Kavanagh, Breen
John Thomas Gleason (s/o Thomas & Emily Breen) was my husband's 1st cousin once removed. In fact my hasband was named after this individual.

John Thomas' sister Emily Bridget (nee Gleason) Kavanagh married and raised her family in Emmett, St. Clair Co., MI. There are 7 Kavanagh boys from this union. Many descendants still remain in Emmett to this day.

If you give me an e-mail address I will see if I can put you in touch with some of them.

Posted: 19 Apr 2012 4:01PM GMT
I see that Sue has also replied to this thread. Why don't we let her coordinate this. VFW Post 5585 in Emmett is titled The Gleason-Butler-Sharpe Post, they will be pleased to know the PFC Gleason is being looked after so well.

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 4:09AM GMT
Surnames: Gleason - Kavanagh
I have just read your post of a year ago shocked to find. My husband is thee nephew of John and we have been planning a trip to France in about year in a half. We were so happy to read your lovely post. I am going to send you a picture of him and a picture we have of his memorial in France that we got over 15 years ago. My email is nonny12699@yahoo.com. I would be very blessed to hear from you.

As ever in Faith, Hope and Love <><
Linda Kavanagh
Attachments:

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 4:23AM GMT
Hi, my name is Linda Kavanagh and my husband is the nephew of John Gleason .. I have just finished reading your lovely post of a year ago and was excited beyond belief. My husband and I have been trying to plan a trip to France with our only grandchild to take her to see John's ( jack as family referred to him by) memorial grave. I am attaching Uncle jack's dress military picture as well as a picture someone gave to my deceased mother in law ( Jacks sister Emily) about 15 years ago. My email address is nonny12699@yahoo.com. Thank you for your time in trying to contact someone in the family and for looking after his memorial. Pictures would be greatly appreciated .

As ever in Faith, Hope and Love<><

Linda Kavanagh
Attachments:

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 8:22PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: GLEASON
I found a bit more info on PFC Gleason, 2 brief items in a database compiled by a veteran of the 115th Inf Regiment
"Gleason John T 36570025 Pfc HqCo1Bn116 13-Jun-44 fr repl depot to dy 116 HqCo1Bn
----
Gleason John T 36570025 Pfc HqCo1Bn116 3-Jul-44 fr dy to KIA 13 June 116 HqCo1Bn"
Found here: http://www.angelfire.com/md/29division/page22.html
The database is an Excel file about 6 megabytes in size. From the source page "Every company, battery, or troop in the 29th Infantry Division compiled a daily "Morning Report" indicating personnel changes over the preceding 24-hour period. The information collected in these reports is crucial to the modern researcher because it includes a compilation of company members who were killed, wounded, injured, ill, promoted, or transferred. Furthermore, the arrival of fresh replacements and men returning to the unit after hospital stays or temporary transfers are also listed.

Thanks to Ralph Windler, a former member of Company G, 115th Infantry, the Morning Reports of the 116th Infantry during the 29th Division's period in combat have been fully compiled in an Excel spreadsheet. To view this compilation, click on the link below. NOTE: You must have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer, preferably version 2003 or later, to view this spreadsheet. Members of the 116th Infantry who served in combat from June 1944 to May 1945 are listed alphabetically. Every effort has been made to ensure accuracy in this list, but information on the original cards was occasionally inaccurate, and even worse, on occasion entries were illegible."
I don't know the exact meaning of the abbreviations used in these morning reports. My best guess is that PFC Gleason was assigned to the headquarters company of the 1st Battalion 116th Infantry Regiment 13 June 1944 from a replacement depot and KIA the same day. If anyone has better information, please post it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic