Search for content in message boards

Cemetery Lookup, please

Cemetery Lookup, please

Posted: 31 May 2012 1:02AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Looking for Stephen Mitchell d. 1907 in Smithfield; married to Kitsey Ann Hamilton who died after the 1880 census and before the 1900 census. They lived in Nahunta (Wayne County) for many years, but a clipping in the Smithfield Herald said he died in Smithfield. He must have moved there after she passed away.
Thanks for any assistance.

Re: Cemetery Lookup, please

Posted: 31 May 2012 8:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looked up Stephen and Kitsey Hamilton Mitchell in the Johnston Co Cemetery listing - Neither of them are shown in the alpha listing. This doesn't necessary mean that neither of them are buried in Johnston Co, they just aren't shown in this listing. He could possibly have an unmarked grave.

Diane Pollard Keiser

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 1:39PM GMT
Thanks, Diane. Do you know if anyone does lookups for Wayne county?

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 8:01AM GMT
Sorry, no I don't. Try going online and seeing about a Wayne Co Historical and/or Genealogical Society. If so, get in touch with them and they may have an answer to your question. As with Johnston Co, NC, maybe Wayne Co may have done a cemetery survey of some sort.

Good luck!

Diane Pollard Keiser

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 8:37PM GMT
I looked in a web site called Find a Grave and could not find them anywhere in NC

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 8:51PM GMT
Yes, I've already looked there. Someday I'll get back to Smithfield and can look up his "real" obit in the Herald. What the JC Heritage Center has on file is from a "gossip column" and only states that he passed away.

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 3:55AM GMT
Have you used the WPA Cemetery survey that the NC archives has put on-line? I was trying to find something else that I thought I remembered Alan Dew doing and I googled NC cemetery survey. A WPA NC cemetery survey came up. I did look to see if Wayne Co. had one and they did. It appeared to be a listing by cemetery, but it might be worth looking at.

I have also had successes in a lot of public libraries with obtaining obituaries. Some even maintain indexes and charge nominal fees or have volunteers that will look up obituaries if you have the date of the death. It is possible if he had moved that noone paid to have an obituary written and placed in that paper, but perhaps one might have been in the paper where he used to live.

Good luck in your searching. It is so frustrating doing long distance research. It is certainly getting better every day, though.

Nancy Smith

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell
Thanks, Nancy, for your suggestion. Was not even aware of these listings!

Stephen Mitchell lived in Nahunta most of his life and died in Smithfield, so he was never out of the area. I'm sure he's buried somewhere there, I just have to find out where!

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 6:26PM GMT
Johnston County has also made a serious effort to record every grave in every cemetery. Obviously they haven't found them all, but they do have quite a few gathered in a book. The Heritage Center in Smithfield can help you with that.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic