Search for content in message boards

need probate records of the 28 Oct 1831 Sampson Co., NC will of Jesse Lee Sr.

need probate records of the 28 Oct 1831 Sampson Co., NC will of Jesse Lee Sr.

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 2:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LEE, INGRAM, JERNIGAN, BLACKMAN, SMITH, JOHNSON, TART
This abstract was sent to me. Is it correct? Has anyone an abstract of the probate records? I am working on the children in the census records. Need marriage, death, cemetery records?
Sampson County, North Carolina Wills
Jesse Lee, Senior of Sampson County:
Recorded Book 1, page 123
Dated: 28 October 1831; proved November 1831
Wife: Susannah Lee [Was Susannah a widow when she married Jesse? What happened to her?] ,
Sons: Joab Lee,
Jesse Lee,
James W. Lee,
John Lee [?],
Joel Lee,
Pharoah Lee, and
Jonathan Lee [AL?].
Daughters: Elizabeth Ingram, wife of Samuel Ingram
[Elizabeth "Bettsy" Lee, born February 26, 1797 in Sampson Co., NC; died July 14, 1869.] of Johnston Co.
Sarah Jernigan, wife of William Jernigan,
Elizabeth Blackman, wife of Joseph Blackman [Step-daughter married a grandson? What happened to them?],
Susannah Smith, wife of Samuel Smith,
Phereba Lee [?],
Nancy Johnson, wife of Willie [Wiley] Johnson, Johnston Co.
Mentioned: Heirs of Edy Lee, daughter of Willie [Wiley] Johnson, Johnston Co.
Grandson: Powell Blackman
Executers: Wife, Susannah, son, Joel Lee and grandson Powell Blackman [son of Cader Blackman and Mary Polly Lee dau. of Jesse who died before 26 Sep 1826]
Witnesses: Westbrook Lee, Cader Blackman, and John Tart.
Thanks
dave.richardson@mindspring.com

Re: need probate records of the 28 Oct 1831 Sampson Co., NC will of Jesse Lee Sr.

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 5:40PM GMT
Have you searched for this will yourself? FamilySearch.org has made many of their microfilmed records available on-line. I just checked and Sampson Co., NC wills are available. These records are not yet indexed so you will have to do some searching. There are several films labeled Wills Vol 01 that include the years you are looking for, but the first couple of images of each one will tell you if you are looking at Devisor or Devisee. The PAGE number you have won't quite match the IMAGE number of the film as you look at it, but they are in order and it is only a matter of using a little logic to find the right page.

It gives a great deal of satisfaction to find it yourself. You can enlarge it on the screen to figure out the exact wording.

You should try it. If you don't find it this way, you might try posting your query on the Sampson County message board instead of the Johnston County board.

Hope this helps.

Nancy Smth

Re: need probate records of the 28 Oct 1831 Sampson Co., NC will of Jesse Lee Sr.

Posted: 11 Jul 2012 7:39PM GMT
Surnames: Lee,Tart, Blackman, Frazier, Tew, Denning West, Underwood
Here are some links that may help. His 1st wife was Elizabeth Blackman. his second wife was Susannah Langston. John Tart a witness his daughter Isabella Tart married James W Lee who is my GGGGfather.

http://genforum.genealogy.com/lee/messages/3387.html

Kent Lee

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 11:08AM GMT
Surnames: LEE, LANGSTON, TART
Hi Kent - Thank you for responding. There is much unknown about this family that I hope may be in the records somewhere. I was sent an abstract of the will which may or may not be correct. Was his second wife Susannah Langston a widow when they were married. What happened to Susannah? Did she remarry? Birth? Death? Is the second Elizabeth married to Joseph Blackman a step-daughter of Jesse? What I have found out is in my dave-fisher World Connect file in RootsWeb.com and I would appreciate any help. I have found some census data on Preacher James William Lee but some of the other children of Jesse...
Appreciate the help
dave.richardson@mindspring.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions