Dooleys from ATHY

Posted: 13 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Jul 2002 3:31PM GMT
Surnames: DOOLEYS, CARROLL, GARRETT
LOOKING FOR FAMILY MEMBERS OF GERARD DOOLEY WHO MARRIED
JULIA CARROLL AND HAD 13 SIBLINGS JOHN EDWARD KEVIN PADDY
MOLLY BRIDGET JOSIE RITA KATHLEEN JULIA ESTER AGNES GERARD
FAMILY WERE KNOWN TO LIVE IN ATHY WHERE THEY HAD A FARM CALLED KILROE AND A WERE ALSO KNOWN TO BE BAKERS WITH A SHOP IN O,CONNALL ST DUBLIN. TRYING TO TRACE ANY HISTORY ON THE FAMILY.
Posted: 2 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: CARROLL, COLMEY, ENGLISH, HARRISON, MALONE
My gggrandmother Elizabeth Carroll was from Coolelan near Rathangan, Kildare Ire. She married James Colmy/Colmey. Daug Catherine Colmey was born 1Oct1860. James died @1861.Elizabeth m John Harrison had John Dec 1863,& Benjamin Jan1865. Catherine Colmey(d31Dec1940)m John Francis Malone(b@1865-d1930MA)s/o John Malone & Margaret Flaherty, Rathangan. sibs William b21Sept1862,Michael 15July1867,& Thomas b15Sept1890.Brigid English m William Colmey and the Dunnes(Mary,Rose & Margaret)were sponsors for some. John Malone imm 19May1879.Any connections?Pls email.

Colmey

Nicola (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Colmey, Fay, Madden
Hi Paula,

My name is Nicola Colmey. I am from Dublin, Ireland. My grandfather was from Kildare, William Colmey (Bill, Born 1911, died August, 2000). He had only one sister and a number of brothers? He Married Anne Fay and had two sons Vincent and Leo. Vincent married Catherine Madden and had three daughters Aisling, Nicola & Vivien. Leo never married. I would love to trace the family name as it ends with us. Any info?

Re: Colmey

John Colmey (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2001 2:13AM GMT
Dear Nicola,

I am an American currently living in Hong Kong and France (married to a French woman with one son and one daughter) and have long wished to trace our history in Ireland. I will ask my father more, but the story passed down to me suggests that 6-8 Colmey brothers left Ireland around 1870. They fanned out to New York, MA, and the Midwest and at least one, or possibly his son, became one of the America's leading lawyers and later a judge. My great,great grandfather, one of the brothers moved to Chicago and worked for the railroad there. Once, during a trip to Ireland I saw Vincent Colmey in the phone book and tried to call but he was out at the time, and time moved on.

Also, there apparently is a town or village called Colmey in Belgium -- I'm going to check it out now. Let's stay in touch, and we can tell you about the Colmeys in the U.S.

All best,

John

Nicola (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 2001 5:46PM GMT
Hi John,

Thank you for your email. I have asked my dad (Vincent) for information regarding the Colmey's from Kildare. I am currently living in New York so it is difficult for me to obtain the required information. I shall be returning home in December for three months and will gather all the information I can while I am at home. In the meantime my dad should be able to give me some useful information which I will pass on to you.

Regards,
Nicola

Posted: 22 Feb 2009 12:03PM GMT
Hi Nicola,
I have just come accross your thread, and thaught i would contact you as my name is Michael Colmey, i live in Monasterevan, Co. Kildare. I am interested as this is a very unusual name and i also thought we were the only ones around. My father's name was Edward (Ned) and my granfather's name was also Michael and lived in Kildangan, and and before that lived near Athy, Co. Kildare.
My father moved to Dublin and then to Bolton, Lanc's where i was born and then back to Dublin where we lived until i moved back to Monasterevan in 1990. I have three children, Keith, Jennifer,and Caroline. Can't help thinking there might be a connection with the two family's.

All the best for now,
Mike Colmey
Posted: 23 Feb 2009 3:22AM GMT
Dear Michael,
Would love to know if you would be related to the Colmey/Colmey family that is from Rathangan. Was there in 2006 and have relatives still on Colmey land there. My greatgrandmother Catherine Colmey Malone came to US, Boston, in 1880 where she married John F Malone who was from the same area. Hope you can contact me with any info you might have.

Paula

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 6:32PM GMT
Hi Paula,

I am living only seven miles from Rathtangan and was unaware that there was a Colmey family in Rathangan until i read your thread. I will check around and see if i can dig anything up but i don't think there is any direct connection.

Would there be any chance it could be Kildangan?

It is not a very common name here in Ireland so there has to be a connection somewhere along the line.

Let me know if you get any more info or if i can help in any way.

Regards,

Mike Colmey
Posted: 3 Mar 2009 1:03AM GMT
Surnames: Colmey
Mike,
The Colmey (Colmy) family owned land that is still in family hands in Rathangan. I was there in 2006 so I am sure that it is definitely Rathangan. However there is very little information that I have been able to find. There are Colmey brothers buried in the St Patrick's Cemetery there. The brothers never married,one is named Michael, another Robert, and the third may be William.

You can email me at mas21260@aol.com if you would like.

Paula

Re: Dooleys from ATHY

Posted: 11 Mar 2009 10:58PM GMT
Hi, I have just found this e-mail asking about Athy Dooley's. My Grand father was a John Dooley born to James and Mary (nee Nolan) and Athy 1900. James was born 1874 also in Athy to John and Esther. I know John had another son Patrick who married Julia. Patrick and Julia had at lest 2 Children Mary and Bridget. I also know that John, Patrick and James where Bakers in Athy. Help Please Nick Dooley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions