Search for content in message boards

Accomack County Research

Accomack County Research

Posted: 26 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Bible
Edited: 29 Nov 2005 3:03PM GMT
Surnames: BELOATE, BELOTE, WILLIAMS, MOULTON
Any leads on any of these names would be appreciated. I know the family originally comes out of BERTIE,NC. then to Virginia and my husbands branch on to Tennessee.
Thanks Judy

Re: Accomack County Research

Posted: 2 Nov 2001 7:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Oct 2002 7:29PM GMT
Surnames: BELOTE - MOORE - GLASS
My husband descends from Jonas BELOTE, the Revolutionary War soldier who enlisted at Nancok in Accomack Co VA. According to his pension application, after the war he lived in Stokes Co NC, then Smith, Fayette and Hardeman counties in TN. Jonas married Susanna MOORE on 26 May 1791 in Northampton Co VA. His grandson, George W. BELOTE was born ca 1817 in Smith Co TN and died between Feb and May of 1854 in Saulsbury, Hardeman Co TN. After his death his widow, Rachael Sawyer GLASS took the children and traveled with her parents to Marion Co TX. If this is the same family you are researching, I would love to compare notes with you.

Judy Beloate (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2001 12:56AM GMT
This is actually my husbands family. But I am the designated family historian!.
Yes this is the same family. I pieced together on my own what info that I have, based on what I was finding on the census plu Family Tree and Ancestry. Back then families stuck pretty close to each other unless they migrated a distance and then they usually took along a relative other than immediate family. Plus there was a tree that some one had done on the Beloate's on my line but only because they were doing a wifes ancestry.I will be happy to E-Mail what I have if you like.
Judy

Posted: 5 Nov 2001 2:04PM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2002 7:29PM GMT
Thanks for your prompt reply and your generous offer to share information! Please contact me directly at <panola911@sydcom.net>. You might also address your reply to Larry Crocker at <lcrocker@jeffersoncountytitle.com>. He is a fellow Belote researcher I have just discovered. He is of the same line as my husband: George W. Belote and Rachel Sawyer Glass.

Posted: 19 Jul 2010 9:21PM GMT
Surnames: Belote, Martin
I also am the designated family geneologist. I've managed to trace my husband's line to James Henry Belote born in 1871 in Accomack County s/o Lewis S. and Mary Belote. I've come to a stop since Ancestry doesn't seem to have any records further back for that line. James Henry's death certificate shows his mother's name as Mary E. Martin, but his birth certificate didn't show that much. Lewis S. is listed as a farmer on the birth certificate. Do you have anything related to this line? I would really appreciate whatever you can suggest. Thanks. Nadean Pedersen Belote

Posted: 15 Sep 2010 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Polk, Bradford
I'm going to be traveling from Ohio to Virginia next week to the Accomac County area for a genealogy research 'vacation', where my 4th great grandparents, Capt. William Polk born ca 1743/Sabra Bradford born ca 1748 raised their family. I'm wondering if anyone could recommend where the best places are for genealogy research that early? Are deeds and wills that early at the courthouse or where? Is there an Accomac County Genealogy Society that has a place of business? Where might I find old church records that early such as for St. George's Parish?

Thank you for any help.

Becki
beckiblair@hotmail.com

Posted: 29 Sep 2010 6:46PM GMT
Surnames: Polk
I am curious as to how successful your trip is. One of your Polks died in Clinton, Ohio. Wondering about others from Accomack who traveled to Clinton, Ohio about 1822/1823.
On the internet there is a great Accomack Genealogy site called the Miles Files.

Posted: 29 Sep 2010 9:17PM GMT
Hi,
My trip to Accomac Co. was a very productive but exhausting trip, thank you. I had been wanting to go for many years but it just never seemed to work out. I had only 5 days to cram in generations and generations of research. When I left though, I was completely satisfied that I had exhausted every resource in Accomac County, VA for my Polk ancestors. I LIVED at the court house and library from the time they opened each day until they closed. :)

I actually stood on what was Capt. Wm. Polk's property back in the late 1700's on Bradford's Neck Road before I left and couldn't help but cry, but it was a good thing. :)
I did know about the Miles Files before I went and had copied off a stack of papers to research and verify. There are a few mistakes in the Miles Files that I found but can't think of which ones off the top of my head. Are you related to the Polks of Accomac Co.?

Capt. William Polk's son, William, born 7/5/1784, is the one who migrated to Clinton County, Ohio. He was my 3rd great grandfather and I've proven that he was in Clinton County already by at least 1809, as evidenced by deed and tax records and maybe even earlier. I believe he migrated from Chatham Co. NC with the William Hobson family, whose daughter Hannah, he married in Clinton County in 1809. The History of Clinton County and death records of some of hteir children indicate that line of Hobsons migrated around 1807 to Clinton County.

I don't think it is a coincidence that at least two of William Polk's (b. 1784) sisters, namely Bridget and Margaret, had already migrated to Chatham Co. NC in the late 1790's, while William was still living at home with Capt Wm Polk back in Accomack Co.

I would bet money that William first met Hannah Hobson while still in Chatham Co. I mean, he was only a young man of 25 years old when he married Hannah Hobson in 1809 in Clinton County, OH and none of the rest of his siblings or relatives came here. Why else would he have come to Ohio with no family here if he was not traveling with another family? Just a theory of course.

Becki

Posted: 30 Sep 2010 3:39PM GMT
Surnames: Bennett/polk
I found your approach to visiting Accomack for a genealogy investigation trip very interesting. The idea has crossed my mind and I also thought about doing it in September or May.
I am primarily a Bennett researcher. I too have many bits and pieces that still require more verification. My William Bennett, Sr 1710-1783 or 1788 and William Bennett, Jr 1739-1802 both served in the Revolution. Senior was in the Army and Junior was in the Navy as a Master Mariner.
I suspect our immigrant ancestor was the Samuel Bennett who was claimed as a headright on Pimino Creek by John Stringer in 1669 along with a William Willet.
I suspect that Samuel Bennett b.c 1802, orphan of William Bennett Sr didn't travel to Clinton Ohio alone. He was married in Clinton in 1824 and I suspect he made the journey in 1823.

Posted: 1 Oct 2010 11:31AM GMT
Surnames: Bennett
Sorry: The last sentence has an error.
I suspect that Samuel Bennett b.c 1802, orphan of William Bennett***** Jr**** didn't travel to Clinton Ohio alone. He was married in Clinton in 1824 and I suspect he made the journey in 1823.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions