Search for content in message boards

UPCHURCHes of Indian Territory and Oklahoma Territory

UPCHURCHes of Indian Territory and Oklahoma Territory

Posted: 30 Sep 2007 2:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Upchurch, Davenport, McSwain, Perrine,
From reading through many of the old postings, I see there were several different clans of UPCHURCHes who came into Oklahoma before statehood (1907).

I'm looking for any relatives or descendants of the ones who came from North Carolina through Arkansas, and then into Indian Territory. These would be the ones associated with Allen UPCHURCH (b 1779, d. 1848) and Patrick Bogan UPCHUCH (b. 1816, d. 1885).

I know PBU and at least one brother, left NC headed west sometime between 1854 and 1859. They settled in Conway County, Arkansas for several years, before, in 1891, Charles Wesley UPCHURCH and his brother David UPCHURCH pulled up stakes and came to Indian Territory -- to a spot just east of Wayne in McClain County. The others also left Arkansas, some joining Charles, others going further, into Oklahoma Territory.

I know one of the others was Strickland Upchurch who settled in the Clinton, Oklahoma Territory area. I have quite a bit of data on this line (and know someone from the line who has researched it thoroughly).

I have loads of info on Charles Wesley UPCHURCH, (my line) and would like to learn more about his Upchurch siblings and cousins who also came this way!

Anyone else from this line?

Mae Cox in Oklahoma
UPCHUCHes: Michael > Richard > John > James III > Harmon > Allen > Patrick Bogan > Charles Wesley

Re: UPCHURCHes of Indian Territory and Oklahoma Territory

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 1:37AM GMT
I am trying to find information on an Upchurch in Conway County Arkansas.
He married Mary Jane Arnold and they had a son named Arthur Upchurch.

Mary Jane died with Arthur was a child and I am guessing so did the father because I have a 1900 census of the Lick Mountain area in Conway having Arthur listed as an orphan.

There is a possible "P. G. Upchurch" as his father

Any info? :)

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 1:29PM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2012 1:30PM GMT
I do have an 'Arthur' that may be the one for whom you're searching.

Patrick Gordon 'Doc' Upchurch was born July 7, 1859, in Conway County, Arkansas, the son of Patrick Bogan Upchurch and Eunice 'Nicey' McSwain. Patrick died December 16, 1907 in Columbia County, Arkansas.

He was married in conway County, Arkansas, April 7, 1884 to Mary Jane Arnold, b. abt. 1862. I have no further information on this marriage and no list of children. There may have been children, but I don't have names or dates for any of them.

Patrick was married a second time (November 1, 1887) to Sophronia Eugenia 'Jenny' Upchurch. She was born January 10, 1872 and died January 7, 1925, the daughter of John James Upchurch and Amanda J. (unknown). Jenny and Patrick had seven children, but none with the name Arthur unless that was the middle name of one son, James Upchurch -- I dont have a middle name for that one.

Now, I do have an Arthur Weaver Upchurch, b. December 24, 1891 to William Allen Upchurch and Amanda Timberlake. William was the son of the previously mentioned Patrick Bogan Upchurch, and a brother to Patrick Green Upchurch. I have no further information on Arthur.

I have a lot of info on Patrick Bogan Upchurch as he was my GGGF. His son, Charles Wesley, was my GGF.

I hope this will help...

Mae

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 3:05PM GMT
Thank you! I think our PG Upchurch is the same (but not your Arthur)

I have Arthur Upchurch as being born:
Birth Date: 1884
Birthplace: Arkansas

His home in 1900 census is:
Home in 1900: McLaren, Conway, Arkansas
[Conway]
Relation to Head of House: Orphan
Living as a farm laborer with:
Benjamin H Hillis 48
Matilda E Hillis 43

Then 10 years later the 1910 census has him living in Lick Mountain, Conway, Arkansas
For:
Mholah Nichols 43
Albert Nichols 17

As for his parents I have the marriage census as P G Upchurch and Mary Jane Arnold being married on Mary Jane Arnold on 7 Apr 1884 marriage (PG Upchurch being 24 at the time)
I have Mary Jane Arnold being born in Arkansas 1862 and died: 1896
So Arthur would have been about 15 at the time of his mothers death.
I wonder why he would not have gone to live with his father?

Mary Jane Arnolds other children are Myrla Rosetta Chism and George Chism born to George Washington Chism.

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 5:24PM GMT
Here is the picture of Arthur Upchurch that I have. It was in his half sister Rosetta's possessions.
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/22481023/person/20041077944/m...

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 6:00AM GMT
MESSAGE FOR:MAE COX;
I AM GRANDDAUGHTER OF EMMA J UPCHURCH b 3/1895-1896 >FATHER ALLEN b1877-1879 MOTHER ELLEN UPCHURCH b 4/1878>ACCORDING TO VITAL RECORDS> ALSO BETSEY b 10/1897 MAGGIE b10/1898 CANT FIND ALLENS FATHER> ARCHIVES SAY ALLEN HAD A TWIN BROTHER WILLIAM? THEY WERE RAISED BY UNCLES DAN AND DAVID STRICKLAND? RU THESE UPCHURCHES? THEY WERE FROM NC? EMMA BORN IN SC ACCORDING TO MY FATHERS BIRTH
CERTIFICATE HE IS THE LAST STILL LIVING OF 6 @93YRS OLD I AM CARING FOR HIM NOW AND NEED TO CONNECT THE TREE

SHONDAABERCROMBIE@YAHOO.COM

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 6:03PM GMT
I sure wish I could help you with your line, but I don't seem to find any of these in my data base.

The only Allen Upchurch I have was born about 1779 and is the son of Harmon Upchurch. They were in North Carolina before many of them struck out and ended up in Arkansas. From there they made their way to Oklahoma and Indian Territories... in the 1890s.

I'm not familiar with any of the SC Upchurches...

Mae

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions