Search for content in message boards

Nanticoke City Cemetery

Nanticoke City Cemetery

Jack Baldwin (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2002 9:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baldwin Thorne
My great grandmother, Mary Baldwin (nee Baumer) was buried at the Nanticoke City Cemetery in 1893. I think she was 52 years old when she died. Mary Baldwin was the mother of William Baldwin (1871-1927) who married Alice Thorne (born in Wales, 1879-1955). Willaim and Alice Baldwin lived in Nanticoke, Pa.

I have been unable to locate the Nanticoke City Cemetery. Does anyone know where it is (was)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Nanticoke City Cemetery

Posted: 5 Jul 2002 2:25PM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2003 3:46PM GMT
Nanticoke City Cem. is located at Prospect and Washington Streets in Nanticoke.

Joseph Gregory (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2002 4:38PM GMT
Mr. Baldwin, my Gt. Grandparents Geo. and Eliz. Taylor. came from England and lived and died in Parsons, Pa, now part of Wilkes-Barre about 8 miles from Nanticoke.
One of their daughters, Elizabeth married Louis Wyandt.
Their daughter married (FNU) Baldwin and one of their chldren was Harold Baldwin. I have their photos.
For some reason in my notes I have the name "Thorne" penciled in after Elizabeth Wyandt's name. I can't explain that
notation but I do recall my father refering to one of his aunts (the Taylor family) as "Lizzie Thorne". Perhaps she remarried and her second husband was Thorne.
It was the similarity of names, Baldwin and Thorne that promped me to write to you and the relative proximity of Parsons to Nanticoke.
Perhaps there is a connection.
I have considerable data on George and Elizabeth Taylor and one of their daughters, Ellen, my grandmother but almost nothing on the rest of the Taylor family.
Joseph Gregory
Mt. Top, Pa.

Posted: 8 Jan 2003 3:47AM GMT
I was wondering if someone may have a list f who is buried in the Nanticoke Cemetery. I am looking for Oliver's and Swank's. Thank you

Posted: 8 Jan 2003 4:11AM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2003 3:46PM GMT
I'm sorry, I have no idea who might have a list though I belieive the Nanticoke Historiical Society was compiling one. Go to www.nanticokepa.com and their address is there. If I can do obit lookups for you here in Luz. Co. let me know.

Boleslaw Merchelski buried in the Nanticoke City Cemetery

Posted: 5 Dec 2007 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: Renkiewicz/Rynkiewicz/Merchelski/Chmielewski/Hajduk
My cousin is buried in the Nanticoke City Cemetery as someone was kind enough while doing research on their family members and recording burials from the Nanticoke City Cemetery at www.findagrave.com and that is how I finally found out where he was buried. He was my Grand Father's half brother. My GF was John Renkiewicz/Rynkiewicz from 239 E. Broad Street. He also ha d a brother named Anthony Renkiewicz who resided at 221 E. Noble St. There parents were Andrzej & Marianna (Chmielewska) Renkiewicz and they were from NE Poland and a town called ZEBRY, they had three children Anton; Jan and Anna. After my GGF Andrzej died my GGM Marianna married for the 2nd time to a man named Andre MERCHELSKI. They had three more sons, Telesfor; Josef and Boleslaw Merchelski. I am trying to find someone who would be kind enough to obtain me a digital photo of Boleslaw Merchelski's gravesite if at all possible? I live 6 hrs NW of Nanticoke and it's difficult to get there often. I can be reached at the following email: JJRynk@hotmail.com

God Bless and Thank you

Happy Holidays

John J. Rynkiewicz (The Grandson)

Re: Boleslaw Merchelski buried in the Nanticoke City Cemetery

Posted: 5 Dec 2007 5:29PM GMT
Surnames: Merchelski
John,
Did you add your request to the Find A Grave site for one of their volunteers to take the photo for you?
I am a volunteer near my home, sorry I can't help you though.
Hazel

Boleslaw Merchelski buried in the Nanticoke City Cemetery

Posted: 6 Dec 2007 12:04PM GMT
Surnames: Merchelski, Renkiewicz, RYnkiewicz, Chmielewski, Hajduk, Hydock
Hazel,

Thank you for replying and yes someone did post him at the www.findagrave.com as that is how I finally discovered that he was buried at the Nanticoke City Cemetery and when (23 Dec 1938) as he died on 21 Dec. Here's the problem, the woman that did this reearch in this particular cemetery did it over 16 years ago and she was kind enough to go back and see if she could locate the grave, but she was unsuccessful. What she did was record what was on the headstone and than transcribe the data at the www.findagrave.com website. So in essence I have no pic of the headstone that she recorded the information from on his death. His death certificate states he was buried from Draperski Funeral Home in Nanticoke that no longer exists and Lohman Funderal Home has all their records of which I am trying to have someone from the Nanticoke Historical Society obtain for me as I live 6 hrs away from Nanticoke. Here is wishing you and your family the most Joyous and Prosperous New Year ever!

God Bless,

John J. Rynkiewicz (JJRynk@hotmail.com)

Posted: 6 Dec 2007 3:48PM GMT
John,
If I am reading your message right, the lady was unsuccessful in locating the grave, like the headstone is now missing. That does happen to some of the headstone, they break and then are removed from the graves.
I have found the funeral homes don't like to open their books to researchers, but some will look the record up for you as they have time. A few funeral homes have looked the records up for me and mailed me a copy(ies) of what they have, even the death certificate. One cemetery pulled out the various books I needed, and let me make digital photos of their records, didn't turn out too good low quality camera, so I was glad I had copied the info with pen and paper.
Good luck in all of you quests.
Happy holidays to you and your family.
Hazel

Posted: 6 Dec 2007 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Merchelski
Hazel,

That is correct! She just couldn't remember where that particular headstone was located as she literally did 100's of trnascriptions. The record for Boleslaw Merchelski was added 2 Feb 2006 by Beth (jessieinpa3@aol.com). She has contributed 14,385 entries to findagrave.com and I was surprised when she emailed me back and actually went back to the cemetery to try and find his headstone, w/o any luck.

Hopefully an Angel will rescue me and one day in my email will be a pic of Boleslaw Merchelski's headstone. I do know now that there is a high probabilty that he was incarserated in the Luzerne COunty Prison according to the Apr 30, 1910 census. It has his name a BOLOK WINCELSKI and all pointers seems to indicate it is BOLESLAW MERCHELSKI. Now the kicker is to try and findout why he was in prison in Apr 1910? He only emigrated in Sep, 1907 so wasn't here very long before he got in trouble! I need to findout why and for what he was put in Prison. By 1918 he was in Camp Lee in the Army during WW1.

Ciao

Thanks

John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions