Search for content in message boards

Blanton Family

Blanton Family

Kathy Blanton Gregory (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2001 12:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information about my Grandfather Dewey Blanton Born 10-31-1889. He married Lula Coldiron in Harlan Co. 1917.
Children were born in Harlan Co.Dewey's father's name was James ( J.J. ) Blanton and his mother was Elizabeth ? I am having a hard time finding information, Many James Blantons.
Dewey's siblings names were Jack, m. ? Collette. Bea, m. ? Prather?, Jossie, m. ? Burgan, Della, m. Wilson Saylor?, Zelda, m. Gilbert Saylor?. Effie, Jeddie. Those are names my Aunt remmbered. Could be spelled differently. If you think any of this sounds familar, Please email me
Kathy

Re: Blanton Family

Posted: 21 Nov 2001 1:25AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2006 11:08PM GMT
Surnames: BLANTON
Hello,

I have looked through BOTH volumes of the 1920 and there is NO Dewey or Lula BLANTON listed. I have looked through the 1910 Harlan Co. and there is no Dewey BLANTON listed.
I have looked through the 1900 Harlan Co. and there is NO Dewey BLANTON listed.

Either is was not present in Harlan Co. or he is there under another name.

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA

Posted: 21 Nov 2001 3:07AM GMT
Hello,

On the 1910 Harlan Co., this appears it could be your Lula COLDIRON:

Dwelling 56 - Forrester's Creek, Mag. Dist #8
COLDIRON, John, 33, mar. 2nd time, mar. 11 years, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Sarah E., wife, 28, mar. 2nd time, mar. 11 years, 3 born; 3 living, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Lula, dau, 8 , KY* * *
. . Gracie, dau, 6, KY
. . Elijah, son, 2, KY

I also located from the KY Birth CD's, these births attributable to a Lula COLDIRON having BLANTON babies.

BLANTON, Roba, b. 9-17-1922 in Harlan, maiden name of mother: Lula CALDSIONS

BLANTON, Dewey, b. 4-17-1924 in Harlan; maide name of mother: Luly CALDIRON

BLANTON, Archie, b. 9-10-1926 in Harlan, maiden name of mother: Lula COLDIRON

BLANTON, Pauline, b. 5-25-1928 in Harlan; maiden name of mother: Lula COLDIRON

There is ONE James J. BLANTON who is listed on the 1910 but without a Dewey BLANTON. From what I can determine, he was on his 3rd marriage at that point.

Dwelling 91- Forrester's Creek
BLANTON, James J., 32, mar. 3 times, mar. 7 years, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Mallie, wife, 25, mar. 2 times, mar. 7 years, 3 born; 2 living, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Della, dau, 6, KY
. . Josie E., dau, 4

NOTE: Since these two children match two that you have listed in your original message, I am wondering if Dewey isn't listed somewhere else - - perhaps with his mother from an earlier marriage????

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA

Posted: 21 Nov 2001 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: BLANTON
Hello,

Adding to my previous message and THIS IS A PURE GUESS ON MY PART BUT . . . you state his mother was an Elizabeth and living 4 dwellings removed from little Lula, age 8 is this Dwelling:

Dwelling 61
SIMPSON, John H., 49, mar. 2nd time, mar. 3 years, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Lizzie, wife, 24, "mar. 3 times", mar. 3 years, 6 born; 6 living, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Dewey, son, 11, KY * * *
. . Zella, dau, 10, Ky
. . Beatrice, dau, 7, KY
. . Jackson, son, 5, KY
. . Martha, dau, 2, KY
. . Mary, 2 mo's, KY

I AM THINKING THAT THIS IS HIM. PERHAPS YOU CAN GET A FURTHER CLARIFICATION FROM YOUR FAMILY!! Since this couple has only been married 3 years, most all of these children with the exception of the last two have to be either hers of his from a previous marriage. And, rightfully they would have been listed as step-children to the head of the household but sometimes they were not.

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA

Posted: 21 Nov 2001 4:38PM GMT
Hello Joyce,

I think you hit just right! We have always heard storys that he could have lived with Simpson's. My Aunt Married a Orville Simpson, she was one of Dewey and Lula's daughters. Otto Coldiron has giving me more information regarding the Coldirons , but I was stuck regarding the Blantons. I too saw the 1910 census with the Coldiron Family. Our you related to the Blanton's? The Roba is actually Rabie , my father, he also had other sibilings. Thank You so much!! Your information has giving me new hope to connect it all!
Thank You ,
Kathy
Modesto, California.

I Have Information on your Blantons!

Susan Parsons (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 2001 5:03AM GMT
Surnames: Blanton, Saylor
I think our grandfathers were brothers. My grandfather was Jettie Blanton, who had a brother Ephie, sisters Della (Mrs. Wilson Saylor), Josie and Hazel. I don't think I heard Dewey mentioned, because he must have died before my mom was born, but I remember hearing about an Aunt Lula, seems like... And I know my grandpa had a little brother who died as a little boy through some mysterious accident. Grandpa would never talk about it.

Your great grandma is Elizabeth, who was married to Jimmy, and re-married a Saylor. I'm not sure of his first name. I'd like to find out. I'm attaching a picture of them, and a picture of my grandpa and his wife Lillie Hall Blanton back in the 40's or 50's. You can see if maybe they look alike.

Somebody posted that Josie's parents were William and Mallie. I've sure heard of them, but don't know how they fit in. Maybe it's a different Josie. I thought Josie married a Saylor, too, but I'm probably wrong. She and Hazel were both short, white-haired women when I saw them at Jettie's funeral back in 1978--very attractive. I think they've died since then. Della was dark haired, taller, and bigger boned. I think these women had different mothers. Elizabeth Blanton (Saylor) was very tall, like my grandpa,

Our Blanton family is kind of disjointed and mysterious. I think J.J. was in jail for something. I remember it was some kind of scandal when I was young. Don't know what that was about.

I've been trying to find out more about James and Elizabeth. Let me know if you get anything more. Enjoy the pictures, cousin!

Susan Parsons

More on the Blantons

Susan Parsons (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 2001 5:37AM GMT
Forgot to tell you in the last post that J.J. and Elizabeth weren't born in Harlan. At least, James wasn't. He was from Tennessee--that's what Mom (Marie Blanton Parsons) always said. I don't know what part of Tennessee. That's another thing I'm researching. This might get you on the right track. And if you find anything, please let me know!

By the way, I always thought Grandma Blanton (Elizabeth) was born a Saylor, married James J. Blanton, then married a Saylor (unrelated or distant relative). Don't know if it's true, but I seem to remember that her marriage situation was confusing. I know that some of those kids were half-brothers and half-sisters. We'll lfigure this out somehow!

Susan

Re: I Have Information on your Blantons!

Posted: 27 Dec 2001 4:31PM GMT
Surnames: Blanton
Dear Susan,

We are Family! I would love to see the pictures! There was no attachment to click on? Maybe you need to email me at my email address?Please try that. My grandfather Dewey died in 1968 in California. We had always heard that our ggrandfather James had been in trouble with the law too.I think that my grandfather went with his mother when she re-married a John H. Simpson and so did a Zella, Beatrice ,Jackson. She had two more children with Mr. Simpson Martha,Mary. I have Della married to Wilson Saylor.Zella or Zelda married a Gilbert Saylor. Josie married Gilbert Burgan.I do not have any information on Elizabeth? I would love to find out her last name. You may be correct that she was a Saylor.
I would love to share all information with you. I have a appointment but will return shortly. If you could try to send the photo's?
Thank You Cousin!
Kathy

Re: More on the Blantons

Posted: 5 Jan 2002 8:46PM GMT
I saw your message with a question mark after Dewey's name. All that I can say is that My Aunt had the names of your grandfather Jettie and other siblings as my grandfathers siblings. I do find your grandfather and Ehpie and Hazel in census in Harlan Co. My Grandfather was or Jackson (jack) was the oldest of all the children born to James J. Blanton.I do not think that it is very likely that my grandfather has the same siblings as yours and as you and I stated married the same people if they were not true family members.The Pictures that you emailed show how similar they look. Sorry that you still have a question.
Kathy Blanton Gregory

Re: I Have Information on your Blantons!

Posted: 23 Feb 2002 4:38AM GMT
Edited: 17 Oct 2004 1:04AM GMT
Surnames: Blanton
I am researching a James Blanton, my grandfather, Id Love to have the picture of your James Blanton, to see if my james Blanton is the same one, my Email is marilyngriffey@hotmail.com Ill send you a Picture of my james Blanton , he was Married 3 or 4 times and had more Children, he had a Brother Bird Blanton thanks marilyn
no Captial Letters in my Email address
per page

Find a board about a specific topic