Search for content in message boards

Missing Grandparents, in the Rutland, Putney area

Missing Grandparents, in the Rutland, Putney area

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 4:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Sep 2012 12:23PM GMT
Surnames: Missing Grandparents, in the Rutland, Putney area
I am in desperate situation, I am looking for my grandparents where abouts. I have my father and some of his siblings but can not find them.
I am looking for Patrick Henry Callahan We think he was born in Ireland and came through by way of Canada. Guessing his birth was around 1850. I have a death date but not sure it is the same Patrick Callahan Death 28 May 1894 in Winchester, New Hampshire.
Now for my grandmother Catherine (Katie) Mack Confusing with this as well. We think she was born around 1855 and could have been born in Rockingham Vermont but can not find any proof of this. They gave born to FOUR boys Francis (Frank) Callahan born 5 Sept 1875 in Putney Vt, Fred Callahan 26 March 1877 Putney Vt, John Andrew Callahan 10 Feb 1879 Putney Vt, and Thomas Daniel Callahan 18 Aug 1881 Brattleboro Vt. Done of them stayed in Vt. I could not find Patrick or Kate in any census HELP!

Rhonda

Re: Missing Grandparents, in the Rutland, Putney area

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 10:08PM GMT
I had nothing to do, so I took a look at this and I see have a challenge.
In any event, food for thought, is it possible Kate (Mack)Callahan died giving birth to to her child in 1881, as there is a Patrick Callahan of Brattleboro, being married Nov. 5, 1881 (age 32 and his 2nd marriage) occupation Mechanic and birth place Ireland. Married to Ann Murphy at Brattleboro ?

Good luck in your quest.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 3:40AM GMT
Hi, Rhonda,

I found your Patrick H. Callahan in the 1900 census in Ashuelot village, Winchester town, Cheshire County, New Hampshire. Your Katie Mack Callahan apparently died around 1880 and Patrick had remarried a woman named Annie Murphy. Also living with him were his and Annie's daughters and a son who had been born in Ireland in 1870 and apparently left behind there, immigrating himself in 1893.

I also found newspaper clippings that link this Patrick H. Callahan to his sons Frederick (born in Putney in 1877, died 1909)and Thomas (born in Brattleboro in 1882, died 1906)through their obituaries, as well as giving many other tidbits of family information. The newspaper clippings are from the website "Chronicling America" which you may want to search for other clippings I may have missed.

Annie Callahan is in the 1910 and 1920 censuses, but Patrick had died by 1910. Hope these help:

1900 census Ashuelot, Winchester, Chesire County, New Hampshire-
Patrick H. Callahan, born March 1850 in Ireland, age 50, married 20 years, fancy weaver, immigrated 1860, in the US for 40 years, naturalized;
Annie, wife, born Sept 1852 in Ireland, age 47, married 20 years, 6 children, 4 still living, immigrated 1870, in the US for 30 years;
Nellie, dau, born April 1884 in Vermont, age 16, box varnisher;
Mary, dau, born Sept 1885 in Vermont, age 14;
Emma, dau, born July 1888 in New Hampshire, age 11;
Martin, son, born January 1870 in Ireland, age 30, dyer in a tannery, immigrated 1893, in the US for 7 years, alien.

Vermont Phoenix
Feb 9, 1883
Brattleboro
The house of Patrick Callahan, near the railroad just above West river bridge, was robbed of some $65 or $70 in money, last Sunday, in the absence of Callahan and his wife. The theft is supposed to have been committed by an Englishman who boarded with the family and who has since been missing.

Vermont Phoenix
Feb 16, 1883
Brattleboro
The Keene Sentinel says that the fellow (registering as “James Dooley”) who stole $70 from Patrick Callahan a week ago last Sunday, spent almost $40 of it in “riotous living” in that place, and then left, and has since eluded the officers.

Vermont Phoenix
April 7, 1905
The Putney Column
Barney A. Colbrook, 71, died at his farm, the John Keyes place, about 6 o’clock Monday night after an illness of about four weeks with chronic cystitis. The burial was at Maple Grove cemetery at 11 o’clock Wednesday, but on account of the absence of the Roman Catholic priest of Brattleboro no funeral services were held. A service will be held later in the church in Brattleboro. Mr. Colbrook was born in Ireland. Formerly he was section foreman at East Putney, but for the past 20 years or more he had carried on the Keyes farm. He leaves a widow and one daughter, Mrs. Daniel Manning of Brattleboro. Mrs. Annie Callahan and daughter, Miss Nellie Callahan, of Ashuelot were present at the burial.

Vermont Phoenix
April 7, 1905
Ashuelot, N. H.
Mrs. Annie Callahan has been in Putney the past three weeks assisting in the care of her sister’s husband, Bernard Colbrook, who died early this week. Miss Nellie Callahan went to Putney Tuesday to join her mother and to attend the funeral.

Vermont Phoenix
April 21, 1905
Ashuelot, N. H.
Mrs. Callahan returned from Putney, Vt., where she stayed for several weeks.

Vermont Phoenix
Feb 2, 1906
The Putney Column
Misses Nellie and Emma Callahan of Ashuelot, N. H., are guests of Mrs. Josephine Colebrook.

Vermont Phoenix
Feb 16, 1906
Ashuelot, N. H.
Martin Murphy of Putney, Vt., spent part of the week with his sister Annie Callahan.

Vermont Phoenix
Nov 30, 1906
Ashuelot, N. H.
Thomas H. Callahan killed at Railroad Crossing in West Swanzey
Thomas Herbert Callahan, 24, youngest son of Mrs. Annie D. Callahan, was instantly killed Thursday evening at a railroad crossing near the Denman Thompson place by being struck by the evening train from the south. The body was badly mangled, the head, arms and legs being nearly severed from the trunk. He had been in Keene during the day on business for his mother, in West Swanzey with friends during the afternoon, and shortly after dark started for his home here. It is thought that the headlight of the engine as it came around the curve blinded him, that he either fell in front of the train or was knocked down and thrown under it. The selectmen were notified: they notified Medical Examiner John D. Proctor, who viewed the place and the body. The body by request of the family was taken in charge by Undertakers Woodbury and Lesure of Winchester and brought to his home here. The funeral was held at his mother’s residence Sunday forenoon, there being a large attendance. Burial was in the Roman Catholic cemetery in Brattleboro. The floral offerings were numerous and beautiful. Thomas was born in Brattleboro October 1, 1882, coming here with his parents to love early in life. He was educated in the local schools and worked in the mills and box shop. About a year ago he finished a three years’ term of service in the 97th company of coast artillery at Fort Adams, being honorably discharged. He has since worked in the local paper mills and at his death held a position in a paper mill in Putney, Vt. He was a young man of much promise and his family have the sympathy of a large number of his friends. He leaves a widowed mother, three brothers and three sisters.

Vermont Phoenix
Nov 30, 1906
Brattleboro
Thomas Callahan, 24, of Ashuelot, who was run over and killed by a train at West Swanzey, N. H., Thursday night, was born in Brattleboro and had been working recently at the Cole paper mill in Putney. The body has been taken to the home of his mother in Ashuelot. The burial was in the Roman Catholic cemetery in Brattleboro Sunday.

Vermont Phoenix
June 7, 1907
Miss Callahan of Ashuelot,, N. H., is with her aunt Mrs. Barney Colebrook.

Vermont Phoenix
January 22, 1909
Ashuelot, N. H.
Frederick William Callahan, 31, died at the home of his mother, Annie Callahan, Tuesday evening after a brief illness with diabetes. Mr. Callahan was born in East Putney, Vt. March 26, 1877. While he was an infant the family moved to Brattleboro and after seven years’ residence there they moved to this village. After completing his education in the public schools he was employed in the woolen mill, working up to the position of overseer of spinning, holding such positions in Worcester and Webster, Mass. The past two years he had followed the occupation of painting and paper hanging. Besides a step-mother he leaves two brothers and three sisters. He was a young man of good habits, industrious, affable and was popular with his associates. The burial will be in the family lot in the Roman Catholic cemetery in Brattleboro.

Vermont Phoenix
May 5, 1911
Brattleboro Personal
Mrs. Annie Callahan of Ashuelot, N. H., visited her niece, Mrs. G. W. Shuman Wednesday.

Vermont Phoenix
March 22, 1912
The Putney Column
Miss Callahan of Ashuelot is a guest of Mrs. Barna (sic) Colebrook.

Vermont Phoenix
Oct 25, 1912
The Putney Column
Miss Marion Callhan of Ashuelot, N. H., is visiting at Mrs. Colbrook’s . Before returning home she will visit a few days with Miss Jennie Crawford, who was her guest in Ashuelot.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 1:06PM GMT
Cathy,

I see you have done a lot of work. But the Patrick I am looking for had four sons from Katie Mack and would have been quiet young at the time he married Ann Murphy and they are not mention anywhere. All of the boys moved here to Worcester Frank marrying Elizabeth Kerwin and when she passed married and moved to Milford, MA. Leaving one son in the care of his sister-in-law. Frederick went into the service and I have lost track of him. Thomas Daniel (Thomas H) married moved to Boston then moved to Penn and had two children and I believed died there. So unless they had a son together and names him Thomas (which would be odd since he all ready had a son Thomas in 1881 with katie)So with that said this family may not be mine. It fits till that point. I can not find Patrick and Kaite in any census or Directories. I have the boys birth certificatesall born in Putney. But I will keep looking on that site to see what I can find. Thank ou for your hard work. If you come up with anything else please let me know.

Rhonda

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 6:10PM GMT
Well, there’s always the possibility that I am wrong, but I have two more clipping for you, Rhonda:

Vermont Phoenix
July 13, 1906
Ashuelot, N. H.
John Callahan of Worcester, Mass., was with his mother, Mrs. Annie Calahan (sic), over Sunday. His son Walter is here for the summer.

July 29, 1901
Ashuelot, N. H.
Mr. John Callahan and two children of Worcester, Mass., are visiting at Mrs. Annie Callahan’s.

I notice in the 1910 census that John A. Callahan, 31, of Worcester, Mass, born in Vermont, had a wife Mabel, son Walter and daughter Marion. This looks like your John Andrew to me. Did your John Andrew Callahan have a son named Walter?

Remember that Frederick William Callahan’s obituary also said he had lived in Worcester, Mass. before returning to Ashuelot to die (1909).

I can’t explain the two Thomases, but this sure looks like your family and that Annie is the step-mother who must have married Patrick about 1883 since the 1900 census said Patrick and Annie had been married 20 years [give or take, as always with the census ; ) ] and since their daughter Nellie was born about 1884. Perhaps Kate Mack Callahan died in childbirth.

Whatever you decide, good hunting!

Sorry, this date should by 1910, not 1901

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 6:14PM GMT
This clipping should be dated 1910, not 1901.

July 29, 1910.
Ashuelot, N. H.
Mr. John Callahan and two children of Worcester, Mass., are visiting at Mrs. Annie Callahan’s.

Re: Sorry, this date should by 1910, not 1901

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 6:59PM GMT
Cathy,

Well then it is my family. Thank you for all your research it does help me tremendously! If you need anything in Mass just let me know love returning favors.

Rhonda

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 7:43PM GMT
Digging deeper my Thomas D Callahan I have in the 1940 Census with his wife and one child. The rest fits. Just confused on who this other Thomas is. John did have a son Walter. In the 1900 Census he is with his brothers in Worcester, in 1910 he is in San Franisco, then in 1920 in Philly and so on. Was Anna Murphy married before??? The birth dates that I have for Thomas do not match what is in the obit. The obit states Thomas was born Oct 1 1882, My Thomas has a birthdate of 18 Aug 1881. Head is spinning.

Rhonda

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 10:20PM GMT
Hey, Rhonda,

Thanks for the offer. I do have some branches in Mass. so I'll keep you in mind! Thanks!

I think I might have solved the two Thomases problem.

The Family Search website gives a Thomas Callahan born August 18, 1881 in Rutland, Vermont to Thomas Callahan and Nettie Burns.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12122-79107-44?...

Since you want Patrick and Katie (Mack) Callahan, I think the Thomas born on August 18, 1881 is not in your family. The Thomas who died in 1906 in Ashuelot is probably the correct Thomas to be a sibling of your grandfather.

Since this Ashuelot family seems to have a family plot at St. Michael's Cemetery in Brattleboro, you might want to check with them to see if Patrick and Katie Mack are buried there.

Also the "son" Martin Callahan listed with Patrick in the 1900 census is probably a census taker's error. I think it's probably actually "brother-in-law" Martin Murphy. Martin Murphy turns out to be the same age and also immigrated in 1893.

One final thing - and I hope I'm not crazily overwhelming you; I tend to do that - but I found a report about Thomas Callahan's death so here that is:
DEATH OF THOMAS CALLAHAN.
State Of New Hampshire.
In Board Of Railroad Commissioners.

Concord, N. H., December 24, 1906.
Investigation at Concord, December 21, 1906.
Witnesses: Edwin A. Pratt, engineer, East Northfield, Mass.; Edward J. Madden, West Northfield, Mass.
About 6:05 o'clock on the evening of November 22, 1906, train No. 65 on the Ashuelot branch of the Boston & Maine Railroad, when approaching the station at West Swanzey, run over and fatally injured Thomas Callahan, a young man about thirty-two years of age. The point where the accident occurred was distant from the station in a southerly direction about three hundred (300) feet and was also about the same distance from a highway crossing. The train which caused the fatality was making about schedule time, running from thirty to thirty-five miles an hour; the engineer had sounded the usual crossing whistle, and the bell was ringing when the engineer observed a dark object upon the track, which he at first believed to be a shadow cast from an electric light, which was located a short distance away. So near was the engine to the object when it was first noticed that to make a stop before hitting it was an absolute impossibility. The man, for such the object proved to be, was lying down lengthwise upon the east rail. Upon arrival at the station the engineer immediately informed the trainmen that he had run over something. An investigation was at once made and the lifeless body of Thomas Callahan was found. Death must have been instantaneous. It appeared from the evidence before us that this man had been in Keene that day and had been placed under arrest for some misdemeanor. The complainant failing to appear against him, he was released from custody upon condition that he leave the city. While in Keene he had been drinking, but was not so intoxicated that the city marshal thought it necessary to detain him on that account. He hired a conveyance to take him to West Swanzey and during the afternoon was at Whitcomb's shop, where he met several acquaintances among the employees. It was here observed that he had been drinking quite heavily. His home was at Ashuelot, distant about ten miles, and it was suggested that he had started down the track with the purpose of walking home. While it is entirely a matter of conjecture, it is reasonable to conclude that he was overcome by the effects of the liquor he had drunk, fell down upon the track and was run over and killed in the manner described. There was no evidence submitted to sustain the theory of suicide. We cannot find that the trainmen failed to handle the train properly or omitted to do anything which could reasonably be required of them. Mr. Callahan was a trespasser, using the railroad track as a highway, for which there was no necessity, and must be regarded as a victim of his own error.
GEORGE E. BALES, For the Board

The Annual Report of the Railroad Board of the State of New Hampshire, 1906
http://books.google.com/books?id=vXA2AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA335&a...

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 11:59AM GMT
Cathy,

Never over whelming with information I love doing this, been looking for family for over 12 years now, it gets quiet complicated when your dealing with Irish Cathloics and large hugh families. I am in your debt and if you need anything in Mass please let me know. Dobsonrhonda@yahoo.com this will be an easier way to get a hold of me.

Thatnk you for the Commissioners Report this is great, I did first think about suicide glad to see he was just being Irish and drinking, hehe. But it is quiet sad now I need to find his wife and kids.

Rhonda

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions